Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

I’ll take the good 4’s and 3’s(according to 247 composite) like Irvin, demetrius Jackson, vj beachem, Bluiett, wideman, McIntosh(maybe), Guy, Coleman-lands, brunk(maybe), cj walker, Malik Williams, Scruggs, Nunge and I liked Butz
Most of these kids have had successful careers or the makings of a successful career.
Only the good ones and none of the bad ones for me. lol. So hard to tell how some kids games will translate to the college level. Patterson is still playing at IUPUI this season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Crazy on Patterson. I was really high on him. No pun intended. Really liked his length and motor.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

There's no need to throw shade at him. His involvement wasn't stated clearly. He chose VU. There's no need to twist the story.

I do look forward to 4 years of Phinisee and co. Let's get the best people and players for the program!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Robert is a winner, plain and simple.

15 hours ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

All I’m saying is I would rather have Indiana kids. Plain and simple. 

I fully understand and agree with your point.  Butler got to two FF's with those type of players and played a solid and enjoyable style of ball.  I'll add that there are some 5 stars that you do really want, and plenty you don't.  If we begin to have success with the right players, in-state stars will take notice.

I find it amusing that when Garland was unsigned, he was a great player and a great kid and someone we absolutely had to have. Now that he's signed with Vandy and had that incident, he's a thug who's really not that good and wouldn't have brought much to the table anyway. 

If I could like this more than once I would

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I find it amusing that when Garland was unsigned, he was a great player and a great kid and someone we absolutely had to have. Now that he's signed with Vandy and had that incident, he's a thug who's really not that good and wouldn't have brought much to the table anyway. 

I'm just glad all the mindless crap I did in high school wasn't reported in the papers. Well, at least most of it wasn't...

I'm just glad all the mindless crap I did in high school wasn't reported in the papers. Well, at least most of it wasn't...

True, but if you were a top 10 basketball prospect I definitely want your autograph. Like playing basketball at IU. Unfortunately every step you take is more scrutinized than every other kid.

34 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I recognize the phenomenon to which you are referring, of fans turning against a recruit only after he commits elsewhere. But in this case I'd argue there's a tangible reason for the turn. Garland didn't get suspended for an action that caused his school to also cancel a game while he was unsigned. That's a real event that only happened after he committed to Vanderbilt. It doesn't help that there's still some ill will out there, after a recruitment that seemed to have been handled the right way became something much different in the final days.

It's always that way

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

It's always that way

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep and it's all fanbases. Nothing but great things to say about a recruit when they are being considered then the second they take an offer elsewhere it's he's overrated, he has a character flaw, we didn't need him anyways etc. 

Well he is overrated now somebody said but that's always how it goes when we lose a guy. Suddenly it's we did not need him, etc.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Where did someone call him a thug? I must have missed that. I only saw one person saying they would prefer a roster of 4 star Indiana kids and another speculating if we dodged a bullet with this one. But it's ok, everyone deserves the chance to get on a soapbox now and then.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:30 PM, TheWatShot said:

Where did someone call him a thug? I must have missed that. I only saw one person saying they would prefer a roster of 4 star Indiana kids and another speculating if we dodged a bullet with this one. But it's ok, everyone deserves the chance to get on a soapbox now and then.

Isn't that kinda the whole point of this thing? 

Darius Garland to go pro, withdraws from Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt freshman and prized recruit Darius Garland has withdrawn from school to begin preparation for the 2019 NBA Draft, he tells 247Sports.

"It was a really hard to decision from sitting down with my family," Garland said. "I talked to coach [Bryce] Drew and the coaching staff and it was the best fit for me because of where I'm placed right now is really unbelievable especially coming off the injury. Just having a chance to play in the league, which I've been dreaming about that since I can remember, playing in the NBA, just having that chance I couldn't turn that down."

"Just get focused and start the new chapter," he added about the decision. "Coming off this injury it's a long process. I'm going to stay focused on this and that’s why I chose to do this now."

Garland, a native of Nashville (Tenn.), had a season ending injury to his knee two minutes into the fifth game of his college career. Garland had surgery on Nov. 26 on repair the meniscus in his left knee. Rather than go to school, Garland has opted to fully focus on his rehabilitation and getting properly prepared for spring workouts and the Draft.

"We really don’t know yet for sure," Garland said when asked where he plan to do his rehab. "I’m going to try and find the best rehabilitation place in the country and go from there."

Garland's father told 247Sports that his son has yet to finalized which agent they plan to sign with. 

Garland entered Vanderbilt as a five-star prospect, ranking No. 14 in the 247Sports Composite Rankings. Prior to the injury, Garland was working his way up Draft Boards with a strong start to the season and a big showing at Vanderbilt’s NBA Pro Day.

The game prior to getting injured, Garland scored 33 points in a win over Liberty. In the first four games of the season, Darland was averaging 19.7 points, 4.75 rebounds and 3.25 assists, plus made 11 of his 23 three-point attempts.

When the injury occurred 247Sports reached out to NBA scouts to gauge the impact the injury may have on his stock.

“Zero,” one high ranking NBA executive said. “I think they are being cautious and that’s a good thing.”

“There’s too much body of work,” he added. “Anyone that has done their homework, knows what his game and know who he is as a person.”

The 2019 NBA Draft appears to be one of the weakest in recent memory and especially at the point guard position, where Garland and Murray State’s Ja Morant are the clear top two at the position. Both are currently projected as to 10 picks. 

"I'm a really good kid," Garland said. "I have a good personality and I think I can become a leader. I was growing into that position at Vanderbilt and I feel like I'm improving at that. Basketball wise I play really hard. I'm a young point guard that can stretch the floor and get other players better and get them in the right spot when they really need it."

In 247Sports latest Big Board, which was released in mid-December, Garland landed at No. 7.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Darius Garland to go pro, withdraws from Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt freshman and prized recruit Darius Garland has withdrawn from school to begin preparation for the 2019 NBA Draft, he tells 247Sports.

"It was a really hard to decision from sitting down with my family," Garland said. "I talked to coach [Bryce] Drew and the coaching staff and it was the best fit for me because of where I'm placed right now is really unbelievable especially coming off the injury. Just having a chance to play in the league, which I've been dreaming about that since I can remember, playing in the NBA, just having that chance I couldn't turn that down."

"Just get focused and start the new chapter," he added about the decision. "Coming off this injury it's a long process. I'm going to stay focused on this and that’s why I chose to do this now."

Garland, a native of Nashville (Tenn.), had a season ending injury to his knee two minutes into the fifth game of his college career. Garland had surgery on Nov. 26 on repair the meniscus in his left knee. Rather than go to school, Garland has opted to fully focus on his rehabilitation and getting properly prepared for spring workouts and the Draft.

"We really don’t know yet for sure," Garland said when asked where he plan to do his rehab. "I’m going to try and find the best rehabilitation place in the country and go from there."

Garland's father told 247Sports that his son has yet to finalized which agent they plan to sign with. 

Garland entered Vanderbilt as a five-star prospect, ranking No. 14 in the 247Sports Composite Rankings. Prior to the injury, Garland was working his way up Draft Boards with a strong start to the season and a big showing at Vanderbilt’s NBA Pro Day.

The game prior to getting injured, Garland scored 33 points in a win over Liberty. In the first four games of the season, Darland was averaging 19.7 points, 4.75 rebounds and 3.25 assists, plus made 11 of his 23 three-point attempts.

When the injury occurred 247Sports reached out to NBA scouts to gauge the impact the injury may have on his stock.

“Zero,” one high ranking NBA executive said. “I think they are being cautious and that’s a good thing.”

“There’s too much body of work,” he added. “Anyone that has done their homework, knows what his game and know who he is as a person.”

The 2019 NBA Draft appears to be one of the weakest in recent memory and especially at the point guard position, where Garland and Murray State’s Ja Morant are the clear top two at the position. Both are currently projected as to 10 picks. 

"I'm a really good kid," Garland said. "I have a good personality and I think I can become a leader. I was growing into that position at Vanderbilt and I feel like I'm improving at that. Basketball wise I play really hard. I'm a young point guard that can stretch the floor and get other players better and get them in the right spot when they really need it."

In 247Sports latest Big Board, which was released in mid-December, Garland landed at No. 7.

No surprise