Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PG Darius Garland to Vandy

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

And we wouldn’t have had OG Anunoby and Devonte Green. Who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

OG didn't really do much here. Great prospect and I hope he has a long NBA career, but he never got a chance to showcase his skills in college. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

OG didn't really do much here. Great prospect and I hope he has a long NBA career, but he never got a chance to showcase his skills in college. 

I was there for the tournament game against Kentucky and we wouldn't have won that game without him.  Other than that, I mostly agree.

The optimism began with the Miller hiring.

From what I've been able to surmise it was like instantaneous rehab for Hoosier Guy! (Is that accurate, HG? lol)

Yes, Crean did good things here. Getting us out of Sampson's toilet is something for which we should always thank FCTC. He set the foundation for our return to prominence. But he also didn't have what it takes to recruit high level players with consistency. He didn't have the in-game coaching savvy to adjust to and keep up with more elite teams. It was looking like a long tenure of peaks and equivalent valleys, something the AD (thankfully) and the fans are not willing to tolerate. It was time for a change.

Sorry, back to DG.

I agree with everything here, which is why I won't say he was terrible. It was time for him to go, but to completely dismiss his tenure as a failure is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

I agree with everything here, which is why I won't say he was terrible. It was time for him to go, but to completely dismiss his tenure as a failure is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with this.  Crean WAS the man to bring us up from the depths of what Sampson left us AT THE TIME.  He did as well as most anyone could in that situation.  He wasn't always consistent, and often times, I personally, was left wanting more, but given his first couple of teams and how well he was able to bring us back, I would never call his tenure a failure.

It sounds kind of like Vandy is using the same pitch we are using for Romeo to try and secure DG. Good idea because as we use it successfully to lure Romeo it indirectly can work against us as it will remind DG of what he is hearing from Drew.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah, his dominant performance against Kentucky, and being drafted early into the NBA weren't much. He gave it all with the time he had. Man I really hate when people say stuff like this....'

Hopefully we land Garland and he spends an adequate amount of time here to prove his worth to our fans!! :103:

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yeah, his dominant performance against Kentucky, and being drafted early into the NBA weren't much. He gave it all with the time he had. Man I really hate when people say stuff like this....'

Hopefully we land Garland and he spends an adequate amount of time here to prove his worth to our fans!! :103:

You know what he meant. OG was injured for a good amount of time, and was definitely drafted on raw talent and potential. That's just how the NBA draft works these days.

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

It's not meant to be disrespectful. It's just a fact. Noah Vonleh was a lottery pick but that doesn't mean he made a big impact here. They were both drafted for potential. It's not an indictment of their abilities. 

Unfortunate circumstances led to OG never being able to reach his potential here. He played 14 minutes a game his freshman year and then had an injury plagued sophomore season. If he had stayed healthy we'd likely be having a different conversation. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's not meant to be disrespectful. It's just a fact. Noah Vonleh was a lottery pick but that doesn't mean he made a big impact here. They were both drafted for potential. It's not an indictment of their abilities. 

Unfortunate circumstances led to OG never being able to reach his potential here. He played 14 minutes a game his freshman year and then had an injury plagued sophomore season. If he had stayed healthy we'd likely be having a different conversation. 

I understand your point, but that Kentucky performance really cemented his value for me. Plus, the long term value of his NBA draft success will pay continued dividends.

I’m kinda confused why people want to go back to the Kentucky win. Yes it was a good win but it was a win that got IU to the S16. Not really that substantial

Any time you beat Kentucky the eyes of America and recruits are on us. I don't care if it is a June pickup in a barn it is still substantial imo. Especially in the tournament. It's like when you beat a Duke in the tournament. It carries more weight than an average win. We use to be one of those teams .

Just now, mdn82 said:

Any time you beat Kentucky the eyes of America and recruits are on us. I don't care if it is a June pickup in a barn it is still substantial imo. Especially in the tournament. It's like when you beat a Duke in the tournament. It carries more weight than an average win. We use to be one of those teams emoji22.png.

If it’d been in the S16 or later, I’d agree

I’m kinda confused why people want to go back to the Kentucky win. Yes it was a good win but it was a win that got IU to the S16. Not really that substantial

We try to find the good in anything we can.

We beat a touted Kentucky team. That's always something to be happy about.

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

From 2002, do you remember beating Kent State to get to the Final Four, or do you remember beating Duke to get to the Elite Eight? 

The Duke game for obvious reasons. Because we knew the winner of that game was going to the F4. The winner of that IU-Kentucky game wasn’t going to the F4