Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DChoosier

Old guy question

Age 38

I hate the thing.  The easiest loss for me to get over every year is the loss in the B1G tournament.  Don't get me wrong, I want to win it because I want IU to win every game.  However, I value the regular season so much more and I value the rest of not potentially playing 3-4 games in as many days.  All that being said, I'd rather win it than lose it though. 

36 years old, and I've never liked it. To me it just doesn't make sense for the B1G to have one, we are already gonna have 6 At Large bids, and it's not like Rutgers or Minnesota is gonna run the table and punch their ticket to the tourney. The Conference tournaments make sense for the little guy mid major schools so that they can get into The Big Dance since they'd never get an At Large bid, but for a power conference all it is, is bragging rights and the possibility of injury. That being said it sure would be nice to win this damn thing one of these years.

68 years young

Don't see what is gained by playing the BTT except putting more money in the bank for the schools.  The season title is far more important because you need quality over an extended period to win.  In a tourney you can get hot and go on a binge.  That binge is seldom carried over to the big tourney.   Can't see how it will make any difference on who gets into the NCAA tourney.  It increases the possibility of injury and wears out teams that should be resting for the task ahead.  Ask yourself, which do you most remember the seasonal champion or the tourney champion.  Personally I can't remember who wins the BTT but I usually do remember the seasonal champion.

I was at IU prior to the existence of the BTT and have a question.

How much do the younger posters care about the BT tourney?
Do not get me wrong, I want IU to win every game they play but that being said:
*the conference title means a lot more to me because it involves home and road games over many weeks.
*I am on edge when we have a chance to win the regular season title but the BTT does not do it for me.
* if we lose a chance to win the BT regular season title I am very bummed but if we do not make the BT tourney final my first thought is "at least we will have fresh legs for the tourney"

I get the excitement of the BTT if we need wins to get into the tourney but beside that...?

I look at it like in football a confrence tournament championship win boosts resume and gets better seeding the big dance its like if notre dame were to be top 5 in football and have an equal record to the 3-4 ranked team but those teams have a confrence championship game they get the nod in the playoff

As an oldster and a traditionalist I don't get too worked up about the BTT.  I've always felt like player rest before the NCAA is not a bad thing ---so an early exit is no big deal.  However--I am sick and tired of hearing the stat that IU has never won a BTT title---so this year would be the perfect time to put an end to that streak and make the committee seriously consider IU for a 1 or 2 NCAA Tourney seed at worst.

Go Hoosiers!

The regular season obviously carries more weight to me and most others but with the unbalanced schedules, I hope they play with something to prove.

Plus, with me living downtown, I love being able to watch tons of basketball!