Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

(12) Indiana @ (16) Iowa - Pregame thread - 3/1 at 2100 EST on ESPN

I am completely against this, but a co-worker of mine wondered if we might give Rojo another game off given we have clinched at least a co title and we have a home game to go.

I say if he is ready, play him but I understand his thinking.

Agree with your co-worker. If we win it outright Tuesday, I wouldn't hate seeing him sit until the NCAA starts personally. Play him in spot minutes until then at the *very* least.

Agree with your co-worker. If we win it outright Tuesday, I wouldn't hate seeing him sit until the NCAA starts personally. Play him in spot minutes until then at the *very* least.

So you would sit him tomorrow and try to take Iowa without him, if he is ready that is? I like our team, but with the war we have coming tomorrow night I think we need him. Of course I'd be giddy if we win without him and he got more rest.

So you would sit him tomorrow and try to take Iowa without him, if he is ready that is? I like our team, but with the war we have coming tomorrow night I think we need him. Of course I'd be giddy if we win without him and he got more rest.

I'm not very optimistic he'll be "ready" tomorrow. Maybe able to play but not necessarily ready to. My point was on the basis that he wouldn't be available until the Maryland game to begin with, which is just speculation. If he plays and we win tomorrow, then I'd be sitting him until the NCAA or limiting his minutes big time.

I'm not very optimistic he'll be "ready" tomorrow. Maybe able to play but not necessarily ready to. My point was on the basis that he wouldn't be available until the Maryland game to begin with, which is just speculation. If he plays and we win tomorrow, then I'd be sitting him until the NCAA or limiting his minutes big time.

I don't see Crean or staff bringing him back till he is ready. If he is back tomorrow night I have complete confidence he would be good to go the rest of season. Rushing a kid back doesn't seem like a crean move imo

This depends on how RoJo feels of course, but assuming he is capable of playing very limited minutes but not ready to play full games...

I would start him tomorrow night and make sure it's public he is starting, pull him at the first substitution opportunity. Possibly play him some additional minutes, including starting the second half.

There is a mental factor for our competition if they do not know what is coming for a player. Iowa will prepare differently for the different teams and Maryland will prepare based on what happens at Iowa in part. By making it a complete uncertainty if RoJo will be playing and how many minutes he will be playing, these teams are placed at a disadvantage and we gain a small amount of leverage on them.

This is amplified in Iowa's case since extraplanning means extrapreparing and they're already tired. 

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but I was watching the BIG's Twitter account highlights of the IU-Illinois game and during the part where Crean was being interviewed you could see rojo walkin by in the background, noticeably limping. I'm not expecting him to play tomorrow

I don't think we see RoJo play tomorrow against the Hawkeyes.  If we can win that game I wouldn't bring him back until he's definitely ready to go.  It would be nice to get him back in the flow before the BTT or the big dance but making sure that ankle is healthy is more important.

Iowa Starters (mins):

Gesell - 29.9

Clemmons - 29.5

Jok - 26.8

Uthoff - 30.5

Woodbury - 24.9

Starters average 70.8% of available mpg

Indiana Starters (mins):

Yogi - 34.3

Zeisloft - 18.6  (RoJo - 25.5)

Williams - 25.5

Hartman - 21.8

Bryant - 22.2

Starters average 61.2% (64.7%) of available mpg

Numbers are obviously a bit skewed because of injuries but that's a significant difference especially with the amount of minutes Yogi averages.  I can see why Iowa is starting to wear down even without the Franimal working them hard in practice.