Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

Recommended Posts

Don’t like it, but not especially worried that there is any real chance of fallout from it because sadly, this is all allowed.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not worried. Duke and Kentucky have built dynasties off these rules and proceedings. IU is fine and I’m happy we are trying to win basketball games.

Finally have real hope that we can get to championship level basketball soonish.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You and me both man!! Like it or not, you have to be willing to "play the game" if you want to be elite. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're paying players, but there's some things you have to be ok with. I'm glad that Archie seems to get that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You and me both man!! Like it or not, you have to be willing to "play the game" if you want to be elite. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're paying players, but there's some things you have to be ok with. I'm glad that Archie seems to get that. 

Completely agree. As long as we aren’t paying them i’m cool with it. It’s nice to finally be on an even playing field, like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RealIU said:

I know being an IU fan/ loyalist and twice a graduate I would always defend IU, but I was on the fence about us getting Romeo. Hearing some of the things I heard before made me feel like, if we get him I’m happy, but not excited and if someone else gets him not our problem. My opinion if Kansas got him then his Eligibility would have already been in question. The AAU scene is Nightmarishly dirty, even some of the most unexpected people in college basketball are adopting ways to be in the mix.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As has been mentioned, even Al Durham’s dad runs an AAU team.  The only thing different here is that Romeo is a better player.

 

why is this a story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, the Washington Post’s breaking news is that Tim Langford’s AAU team that was established 16 months ago — to everyone’s knowledge — was sponsored by Adidas.
i can’t wait for tomorrow’s headline about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon.


It’s a pretty good story, because the average reader of a major metropolitan newspaper does not know about this aspect of high school sports and how it intersects with major apparel corporations.
Romeo is merely used as a microcosm of the wider scenario.



Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sean Miller = not affiliated with Indiana University, nor has he even lost his job. FBI investigation = not investigating IU. Adidas = Nike and Under Amour were mentioned in the same article. Every major school is sponsored by one of those companies.
Also, it wasn't in this particular post, but who cares what other schools were involved in his recruitment. By that logic, we shouldn't recruit at all because any given recruit will have an interested school perceived to be "dirty" by some of these standards.

Sean Miller = Archie Miller’s brother. FBI Investigation = Jim Gatto, Adidas, and Rick Pitino all involved in recruiting Romeo. Adidas = the shoe company currently under investigation who had executives arrested.

Once again, I get why everyone wants to just brush this under the rug, and very likely it never turns into anything.

As for other schools involved, it’s just an indicator that a recruitment is dirty. Not saying we shouldn’t recruit players, just saying this concept that there’s no chance that the Langford’s played the game is ignorant, in my opinion.

And I don’t like that when Indiana finally lands a top 5 recruit again, it happens during these current events, and then a hit piece like this comes out. It’s disconcerting.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

 


It’s a pretty good story, because the average reader of a major metropolitan newspaper does not know about this aspect of high school sports and how it intersects with major apparel corporations.
Romeo is merely used as a microcosm of the wider scenario.



Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:


Sean Miller = Archie Miller’s brother. FBI Investigation = Jim Gatto, Adidas, and Rick Pitino all involved in recruiting Romeo. Adidas = the shoe company currently under investigation who had executives arrested.

Once again, I get why everyone wants to just brush this under the rug, and very likely it never turns into anything.

As for other schools involved, it’s just an indicator that a recruitment is dirty. Not saying we shouldn’t recruit players, just saying this concept that there’s no chance that the Langford’s played the game is ignorant, in my opinion.

And I don’t like that when Indiana finally lands a top 5 recruit again, it happens during these current events, and then a hit piece like this comes out. It’s disconcerting.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Biological relation is not an NCAA violation. FBI Investigation = Jim Gatto and Indiana have never been mentioned in conjuction. Rick Pitino, I don't really need to say anything.

So tell me, who would you like to recruit? Because TJD is being recruited by MSU, who could be seen as dirty. Keion Brooks is being recruited by Kentucky, enough said, MSU (already mentioned), just offered by Texas (Mo Bamba). Trendon Watford is being recruited by a who's who of "dirty" southern programs (Memphis, LSU, Alabama) plus Kansas (also dirty as has been discussed ad nauseam in the original Romeo thread). I suppose DJ Carton doesn't play on a shoe circuit, so maybe he should be the one man class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Completely agree. As long as we aren’t paying them i’m cool with it. It’s nice to finally be on an even playing field, like it or not.

An even playing field is all I'm looking for. I don't want a leg up on schools. I don't want any kind of unfair advantage. I'm just tired of IU bringing a knife to a gun fight. 

Edited by Hoosierfan2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
An even playing field is all I'm looking for. I don't want a leg up on schools. I don't want any kind of unfair advantage. I'm just tired of IU bringing a knife to a gun fight. 

Well said here imo.

It’s all I’ve been hoping for. A fair fight.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biological relation is not an NCAA violation. FBI Investigation = Jim Gatto and Indiana have never been mentioned in conjuction. Rick Pitino, I don't really need to say anything.
So tell me, who would you like to recruit? Because TJD is being recruited by MSU, who could be seen as dirty. Keion Brooks is being recruited by Kentucky, enough said, MSU (already mentioned), just offered by Texas (Mo Bamba). Trendon Watford is being recruited by a who's who of "dirty" southern programs (Memphis, LSU, Alabama) plus Kansas (also dirty as has been discussed ad nauseam in the original Romeo thread). I suppose DJ Carton doesn't play on a shoe circuit, so maybe he should be the one man class.

You quoted me, but it’s like you didn’t read it. I think we should recruit all those players listed. I also think it’s funny that our fanbase is so quick to dismiss any possibility of wrong doing in this situation with Adidas and Romeo’s father. Wouldn’t be the same reaction if he committed to Kansas. And based on all the information coming out, I’m very doubtful these AAU coach/recruit situations are all above ground. Feels naive to believe there isn’t a high likelihood of under the table extras.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:


You quoted me, but it’s like you didn’t read it. I think we should recruit all those players listed. I also think it’s funny that our fanbase is so quick to dismiss any possibility of wrong doing in this situation with Adidas and Romeo’s father. Wouldn’t be the same reaction if he committed to Kansas. And based on all the information coming out, I’m very doubtful these AAU coach/recruit situations are all above ground. Feels naive to believe there isn’t a high likelihood of under the table extras.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Why would we recruit those players though? Bad optics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was 0% chance something shady wouldn't come out or be said about this recruitment. We were in with some high level dirty schools and one potential in vandy but we won. If we did anything wrong i doubt it but it will be questioned no doubt

 

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×