Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Mostly because I'm lazy and just haven't raised it. Really haven't thought about Romeo for a while. More interested in the 19 recruits were getting and seeing the current players practice. 

So what you are saying it we can go ahead and raise your confidence level to 100% for you?  :92:

I haven't really gotten into the Vandy/Drew hate and conspiracy theories, like saying that Drew and those from Vandy are feeding things to the media.

Welp.  I was wrong.  And here's the IndyStar to print a giant Vandy puff piece.  I like how they timed it right before Romeo's commitment.  I like that they printed it for all of our other recruits to read.  I like how they were given full access to the admins and Board of Regents at Vandy to talk about what an exciting program it is, and what a great guy Drew is.  Unbelievable.  Why do this?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/25/romeo-langfords-college-choice-vanderbilt-bryce-drew-campaign-against-iu-hoops-archie-miller/548366002/

7 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I haven't really gotten into the Vandy/Drew hate and conspiracy theories, like saying that Drew and those from Vandy are feeding things to the media.

Welp.  I was wrong.  And here's the IndyStar to print a giant Vandy puff piece.  I like how they timed it right before Romeo's commitment.  I like that they printed it for all of our other recruits to read.  I like how they were given full access to the admins and Board of Regents at Vandy to talk about what an exciting program it is, and what a great guy Drew is.  Unbelievable.  Why do this?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/25/romeo-langfords-college-choice-vanderbilt-bryce-drew-campaign-against-iu-hoops-archie-miller/548366002/

Lol, yeah. That’s a joke. Why was this in the IndyStar

7 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

It's senseless.  Intentional.  Borderline childish.

5 minutes ago, dallas44~ said:

Notre Dame beat writer. This article would have scared me 2 months ago....not now

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Laken Litman also spent many previous years reporting on the SEC.  Hmmm, someone needs to tell her and the Star no one cares about the SEC in B1G country!  BUT, I guess we are reading it so mission accomplished.

24 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

It's basically an advertorial. 

Articles and writers like that are the reason the Indianapolis Star is circling the drain.  When Gannett/USA Today began buying up local newspapers (like IndyStar) they flushed out most of the local writers and reporters and just operated them like branch versions of one big, crappy paper.  That's why we've seen the Kravitz's, Doyel's, and other columnists show up as virtual strangers.  Even so, I'm puzzled why they would have a Notre Dame beat writer write an article from a Vanderbilt point of view - but little goes on within the USA Today umbrella that makes any sense. 

And BTW, to paraphrase the immortal words of Bill Polian: "Who the hell is Laken Litman"?  I'd never heard of her before.

9 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Articles and writers like that are the reason the Indianapolis Star is circling the drain.  When Gannett/USA Today began buying up local newspapers (like IndyStar) they flushed out most of the local writers and reporters and just operated them like branch versions of one big, crappy paper.  That's why we've seen the Kravitz's, Doyel's, and other columnists show up as virtual strangers.  Even so, I'm puzzled why they would have a Notre Dame beat writer write an article from a Vanderbilt point of view - but little goes on within the USA Today umbrella that makes any sense. 

And BTW, to paraphrase the immortal words of Bill Polian: "Who the hell is Laken Litman"?  I'd never heard of her before.

If you think the IndyStar is bad, you should check out the Ft Wayne newspapers....they are embarrassingly bad.

29 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

I have said this before but the local media actively roots against IU, Doyel in particular. The Star publishing a puff piece about a school recruiting against IU, especially at a crucial point in time, is a slap in the face. Why would anyone in Central Indiana care about Vanderbilt basketball? 

Purdue fans say its the IU star and they give us better coverage than any team. I am not sure which is true since I see it as a fan through rose colored glasses but every fan base thinks every source is out to get them rightly or wrongly and gives everyone else more attention.

I am not defending the star or bashing them. Just saying everyone thinks they give very one else's team more or better coverage. I've seen Pacer fans think they don't give enough coverage and give other local sports better coverage. I have seen Butler fans complain IU and PU get better coverage. I have heard Notre Dame fans complain the star does not give them enough coverage. I have seen high school fans complain they don't get enough coverage. The only coverage I have never seen complaints about is the Colts and even then I have heard negative things said about individual reporters.

I think the lesson is star is just a bad paper for sports that upsets everyone in one way or another.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Their motive for publishing that article couldn't possibly be clearer. 

Yeah It will cause controversy and generate clicks which is what they want. Typical newspaper these days.

Just now, Aaron said:

Purdue fans say its the IU star and they give us better coverage than any team. I am not sure which is true since I see it as a fan through rose colored glasses but every fan base thinks every source is out to get them rightly or wrongly and gives everyone else more attention.

I am not defending the star or bashing them. Just saying everyone thinks they give very one else's team more or better coverage. I've seen Pacer fans think they don't give enough coverage and give other local sports better coverage. I have seen Butler fans complain IU and PU get better coverage. I have heard Notre Dame fans complain the star does not give them enough coverage. I have seen high school fans complain they don't get enough coverage. The only coverage I have never seen complaints about is the Colts and even then I have heard negative things said about individual reporters.

The Indystar since around 2000 or so is nothing like what it was before being purchased by Gannett.  I can tell you that what it bears little to no resemblence to what it was when it was owned by the Pulliam family.  As far as what teams or schools get more coverage, that's been going on forever.  IU has historically gotten more coverage than Purdue simply because of the fact that there is more interest in IU than Purdue.  Under USAToday ownership, the coverage for every local school is pretty meager. 

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

That article just gave the Vandy fans hope.

I really just don't get the "Drew played in the NBA" angle.  So what? So did Kevin Ollie (and he actually was pretty good).  What kind of knucklehead thinks an unproven coach with a brief background in the NBA is going to do more for a college player than an accomplished college coach?

Also, the part in that article that suggests the Drew brothers are such good people could use a little balance by mentioning the threats of deportation HP received when Scotty lost out.