Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

I’ve said numerous times I think he was a good player but I think you all are selling him a little too high. It’s fine we can disagree and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Old friend you’ve been here a long time you should know I put 99.9% of the blame on Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Considered and actually being one are two different things.

Ok and DJ was too that doesn’t make him some program saving recruit.

Ok and Yogi went undrafted and that has nothing to do with what he was to IU. Not sure what you point was because most consider that to be another bad MJ pick.

I’ll take more Cody Zeller’s too, but I won’t pretend like he’s going to be a program savior.

To call him an overrated recruit as a top 20 pick cause he didn't live up to impossible standards of a starved fan base makes 0 sense to me. If you have to win a title to be not overrated then I guess he was screwed from the start. All yogi did was stay 4 years he had 2 good years and 2 not great. I love Yogi one of my favorites but he didn't mean more as a recruit then Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To call him an overrated recruit as a top 20 pick cause he didn't live up to impossible standards of a starved fan base makes 0 sense to me. If you have to win a title to be not overrated then I guess he was screwed from the start. All yogi did was stay 4 years he had 2 good years and 2 not great. I love Yogi one of my favorites but he didn't mean more as a recruit then Cody.

You keep twisting the argument into something it’s not. Good player but he didn’t turn around our program like people claim. It’s really that simple.

What pick someone was in the draft literally mean nothing in this conversation which is why I mentioned yogi. You keep throwing out this useless fact for no apparent reason.

You keep twisting the argument into something it’s not. Good player but he didn’t turn around our program like people claim. It’s really that simple.

What pick someone was in the draft literally mean nothing in this conversation which is why I mentioned yogi. You keep throwing out this useless fact for no apparent reason.

I haven't twisted the argument into anything, you brought up Yogi. I guess I was unaware you were basing this off him being a "program savior". Anyone who thought one kid could change a program after years of incompetence is the real problem then.

However program changed or not I won't take anything away of what he meant. 3 years prior had a combine record of 28-66, then two years he is here 56-16 and yeah other players like Vic improving helped. But a winning culture was established and his coach couldn't keep it up.

I haven't twisted the argument into anything, you brought up Yogi. I guess I was unaware you were basing this off him being a "program savior". Anyone who thought one kid could change a program after years of incompetence is the real problem then.

I mentioned Yogi because you referenced draft picks. No one can tell me Yogi was any less valuable than Zeller based on where they were drafted which was the point I was trying to make.

That’s been my argument the whole time. I’ve always said Cody was a very good player, but he didnt save the program like some IU fans believed at the time and some still believe now. I love Cody and I’m glad he played at IU. I’ll take 20 guys like him, but I don’t expect him to put us back on the map as one of the best programs.

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

We didn’t contend for a national championship and recruits didn’t flock to IU to play with him.

His career stats were right on with DJ White give or take a couple pts/blocks. DJ is one of my favorites of all time but no one talks about him as some phenomenal recruit like they do Zeller when they had the same IU career except DJ played here longer. I see people comment about the #1 ranking while Zeller was here which honestly doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t get the job done.

Don’t get me wrong I love Cody but let’s not pretend like he was some program savior that he really wasn’t.

smh this is so wrong.  Yogi committed two weeks after Zeller did and BECAUSE of Zeller.

We did contend for a championship with him here.  I'd say if you are ranked a large portion of the year #1, among the pre-season title favorites, and go to a Sweet 16, then you contended for a championship.  Which is extremely ambiguous anyway, I mean couldn't you make the argument that any team who makes the tournament technically contends for a championship?

Who cares about career stats?  That's just not that relevant when trying to make the argument someone is overrated, because it doesn't paint the whole picture.  The year before he arrived, we were 12-20 and 11th in the B1G.  The year he arrived, we were 27-9 and 5th in the B1G.  Then we went 29-7 and won the B1G.  Those results were not even remotely possible without Zeller.

Again, you're trying to strengthen your argument by using ambiguous, non-measurable things like "contending for a championship" and "program savior".  The point is, if we didn't get Zeller in 2011, we had no real backup plan except for Robert Goff, who would not have given us nearly the improvement Cody did.

It wasn't Cody's fault we didn't win it all.

smh this is so wrong.  Yogi committed two weeks after Zeller did and BECAUSE of Zeller.

We did contend for a championship with him here.  I'd say if you are ranked a large portion of the year #1, among the pre-season title favorites, and go to a Sweet 16, then you contended for a championship.  Which is extremely ambiguous anyway, I mean couldn't you make the argument that any team who makes the tournament technically contends for a championship?

Who cares about career stats?  That's just not that relevant when trying to make the argument someone is overrated, because it doesn't paint the whole picture.  The year before he arrived, we were 12-20 and 11th in the B1G.  The year he arrived, we were 27-9 and 5th in the B1G.  Then we went 29-7 and won the B1G.  Those results were not even remotely possible without Zeller.

Again, you're trying to strengthen your argument by using ambiguous, non-measurable things like "contending for a championship" and "program savior".  The point is, if we didn't get Zeller in 2011, we had no real backup plan except for Robert Goff, who would not have given us nearly the improvement Cody did.

It wasn't Cody's fault we didn't win it all.

Smh this is so laughable. This had moved back to Romeo so I’ll save my response for another day/thread.

2 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

I’ve said numerous times I think he was a good player but I think you all are selling him a little too high. It’s fine we can disagree and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Old friend you’ve been here a long time you should know I put 99.9% of the blame on Crean.

Yes I do.   And civilly agreeing to disagree is what boards like these are about.   Peace..Go Hoosiers!

Zeller absolutely made us a contender. His full talents and overall success of the team were held back by Crean. Blame Crean for us not winning a national title. If we don't blow very winnable games against Illinois, Butler, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, we aren't even in Syracuse's bracket. 

Even with that loss, we were the number 1 overall seed in the tournament. The committee stuck us with a bad match up.

Sent from my LGLS992 using BtownBanners mobile app

Even with that loss, we were the number 1 overall seed in the tournament. The committee stuck us with a bad match up.

Sent from my LGLS992 using BtownBanners mobile app

Romeo Langford is good at basketball and your statement is false. We were the 3rd overall number 1 seed that year. Louisville was the number 1 overall and Kansas was 2

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9063277/2013-ncaa-tournament-louisville-cardinals-named-top-overall-seed