Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

What’s your point here? I’ve always wanted to recruit the 5 stars kids and Let the shoe companies figure it out. I’m not paranoid, just not surprised in the slightest. I knew exactly what was going on and have said so on numerous occasions.

I’m also on record, saying I think these kids/parents probably deserve what they are getting. It’s the marketplace and these kids have worth.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

“Romeo’s illegality could be in question” sounds super paranoid to me. The story is a fluff piece. Rabby and others on peegs have already debunked it.

This is common practice. Has been for awhile. Lets put it this way...12 players per team. 30% of those players coming from families living below the poverty line. Traveling to say 6 or 7 tournaments. Transportation, food, and lodgings. Now, tell me where the shoe company goes?

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

A few thoughts...

1) We are supposed to listen to Pitino’s thoughts about Romeo when he has stated he knew nothing about Bowen and Adidas? Pitino is desperate.

2) Funny how Kansas fans are talking on social media like this is the reason Romeo chose IU. Wonder if they forgot Kansas is Adidas too.

3) UNC and pUKe think this is the reason they didn’t have a chance. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, HoosierX said:

What basis do you have for saying "Everyone wants Indiana to always be down?" I think it's the opposite as most people say Indiana being good is good for college basketball.

My exact science and love of Indiana basketball is my basis. What basis do you have except for I think? Here’s what I think.

For Indiana being down.

1. Roy, K, Izzo, Porkchop, Toupee, Alford, Butler. 4 bluebloods there who have poached our top players yearly.

2. The rest of the Big 10 coaches.

3. All of the above fans except maybe Kansas.

4. NCAA. IU already sells out. 

5. Any official still working that got used by Bob Knight.

For Indiana being good.

1. Our players 

2. Our alumni

3. Our fans

4. Maybe Kansas fans.

5. The lowest occupation below prostitution. Journalists. That’s a Knight quote.

Woops, forgot Kansas lost out on Romeo. Take them off too.

I get everyone wants to just blow this off and pretend it’s nothing, but it’s not great with the backdrop of Sean Miller, FBI Investigation, and Adidas. I get that it’s “legal”, but it can very quickly cross the line. Also, it’s never just one thing, in my opinion. Let’s just get to the start of the season and enjoy Romeo before the NCAA decides to get tough on these kinds of things.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Once again - I did not like anything surrounding Romeo Langford's recruitment. I hope this doesn't turn into anything serious, but Lousiville, UK, UCLA, and Vandy all being involved should give everyone reason for concern...

With Tim's bankruptcy and some of the other stuff, he doesn't seem too squeaky clean. I hope none of this crap ever comes back to haunt IU.

29 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I get everyone wants to just blow this off and pretend it’s nothing, but it’s not great with the backdrop of Sean Miller, FBI Investigation, and Adidas. I get that it’s “legal”, but it can very quickly cross the line. Also, it’s never just one thing, in my opinion. Let’s just get to the start of the season and enjoy Romeo before the NCAA decides to get tough on these kinds of things.

That's what worries me, with IU's luck, the NCAA will come down on us.

37 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Sean Miller = not affiliated with Indiana University, nor has he even lost his job. FBI investigation = not investigating IU. Adidas = Nike and Under Amour were mentioned in the same article. Every major school is sponsored by one of those companies.

Also, it wasn't in this particular post, but who cares what other schools were involved in his recruitment. By that logic, we shouldn't recruit at all because any given recruit will have an interested school perceived to be "dirty" by some of these standards.

30 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not worried. Duke and Kentucky have built dynasties off these rules and proceedings. IU is fine and I’m happy we are trying to win basketball games.

Finally have real hope that we can get to championship level basketball soonish.

You and me both man!! Like it or not, you have to be willing to "play the game" if you want to be elite. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're paying players, but there's some things you have to be ok with. I'm glad that Archie seems to get that. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You and me both man!! Like it or not, you have to be willing to "play the game" if you want to be elite. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're paying players, but there's some things you have to be ok with. I'm glad that Archie seems to get that. 

Completely agree. As long as we aren’t paying them i’m cool with it. It’s nice to finally be on an even playing field, like it or not.

6 hours ago, RealIU said:

I know being an IU fan/ loyalist and twice a graduate I would always defend IU, but I was on the fence about us getting Romeo. Hearing some of the things I heard before made me feel like, if we get him I’m happy, but not excited and if someone else gets him not our problem. My opinion if Kansas got him then his Eligibility would have already been in question. The AAU scene is Nightmarishly dirty, even some of the most unexpected people in college basketball are adopting ways to be in the mix.

As has been mentioned, even Al Durham’s dad runs an AAU team.  The only thing different here is that Romeo is a better player.

why is this a story 

So, the Washington Post’s breaking news is that Tim Langford’s AAU team that was established 16 months ago — to everyone’s knowledge — was sponsored by Adidas.
i can’t wait for tomorrow’s headline about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon.

It’s a pretty good story, because the average reader of a major metropolitan newspaper does not know about this aspect of high school sports and how it intersects with major apparel corporations.
Romeo is merely used as a microcosm of the wider scenario.

Sean Miller = not affiliated with Indiana University, nor has he even lost his job. FBI investigation = not investigating IU. Adidas = Nike and Under Amour were mentioned in the same article. Every major school is sponsored by one of those companies.
Also, it wasn't in this particular post, but who cares what other schools were involved in his recruitment. By that logic, we shouldn't recruit at all because any given recruit will have an interested school perceived to be "dirty" by some of these standards.

Sean Miller = Archie Miller’s brother. FBI Investigation = Jim Gatto, Adidas, and Rick Pitino all involved in recruiting Romeo. Adidas = the shoe company currently under investigation who had executives arrested.

Once again, I get why everyone wants to just brush this under the rug, and very likely it never turns into anything.

As for other schools involved, it’s just an indicator that a recruitment is dirty. Not saying we shouldn’t recruit players, just saying this concept that there’s no chance that the Langford’s played the game is ignorant, in my opinion.

And I don’t like that when Indiana finally lands a top 5 recruit again, it happens during these current events, and then a hit piece like this comes out. It’s disconcerting.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s a pretty good story, because the average reader of a major metropolitan newspaper does not know about this aspect of high school sports and how it intersects with major apparel corporations.
Romeo is merely used as a microcosm of the wider scenario.