Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

I've seen others justify why Garland chose VU in the first place because it's his home team, but still, how often does a blue chipper opt for the home team (one that has never had significant success) over big name schools?  Heck, Butler has had way more success than VU and they've had no success in recruiting 5-stars from Indy.

When discussing why DG would consider going to his hometown school because it wasn't a Basketball school, I shared a list of top 10 players just in the last 10 yrs that didn't go to a basketball school. If I remember correctly it was at least 10.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Garland would have been accepted by any paying blue blood if he wanted.

Maybe the Garland's are above it, but I highly doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It was a hometown school even if it is not a "basketball" school. He isn't the first to choose to stay close to home and won't be the last.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Garland has only lived in Nashville since like the 7th grade. Sure, it's technically the school in the town he lived in now, but it's not like he grew up a big Vandy fan all his life. I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting paid too. 

You think every freaking recruit is paid

I would be willing to bet that almost every high level recruit is getting something for his commitment. Cash, cars, jobs, guaranteed shoe deal, something. It's the environment we live in and has been that way for awhile. If the FBI releases its findings and puke is not on there I'll be shocked.

30 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would be willing to bet that almost every high level recruit is getting something for his commitment. Cash, cars, jobs, guaranteed shoe deal, something. It's the environment we live in and has been that way for awhile. If the FBI releases its findings and puke is not on there I'll be shocked.

I’m not denying it happens a lot. But every recruit? No

You think every freaking recruit is paid

Virtually every 5 star, yes. They all have the opportunity to be paid somewhere.

Big time College coaches are making 2-10 million a year. Shoe companies throw insane amounts of money at players. Wanna be agents are trying to make a buck at every turn.

They may not all get 100k plus like Bowen and Arizona players (many 5 stars can and do) but gifts like Cars, Jewlery, clothes, tattoos, jobs for family are options as well.

You guys think Mo Bamba didn't get paid? Preston? Freaking Bowen garnered what 100-150k and as a low end 5 star.

I think the 6 figure type guys are restricted to high end 5 stars mostly, but I think A LOT more guys are getting extras.

Virtually every 5 star, yes. They all have the opportunity to be paid somewhere.

Big time College coaches are making 2-10 million a year. Show companies throw insane amounts of money at players. Wanna be agents are trying to make a buck at every turn.

They may not all get 100k plus like Bowen and Arizona players (many 5 stars can and do) but gifts like Cars, Jewlery, clothes, tattoos, jobs for family are options as well.

You guys think Mo Bamba didn't get paid? Preston? Freaking Bowen garnered what 100-150k and as a low end 5 star.

I think the 6 figure type guys are restricted to high end 5 stars mostly, but I think A LOT more guys are getting extras.

National media guys laughed at Lavar Ball and his league and said those players would be taking pay cuts to play there. They honestly aren't kidding. Lavar Ball extended offers to about every top recruit including Romeo and Shittu.

And, worth mentioning, IU has/had nearly a 1 million dollar recruiting budget.

If we just threw 200k per player we'd save ourselves lots of money.

Now, I'm only kidding, because this isn't how it works, but it re-emphasizes the value of the dollar in college hoops and what we are willing to spend legally.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No, not every recruit. But most 5 stars and some 4 stars. I doubt the 3 star guys get much extra. They are a dime a dozen. Supply and demand.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spreadsheets-wiretaps-bank-records-detail-payment-scheme-hoops-corruption-case-001618078.html

And, worth mentioning, IU has/had nearly a 1 million dollar recruiting budget.

If we just threw 200k per player we'd save ourselves lots of money.

Now, I'm only kidding, because this isn't how it works, but it re-emphasizes the value of the dollar in college hoops and what we are willing to spend legally.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Arizona would of had 3 top 10 guys in 2018 if not busted. In a few years this will blow over and they will be back paying top talent. Bank it. The ncaa has no interest in fixing this.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Arizona would of had 3 top 10 guys in 2018 if not busted. In a few years this will blow over and they will be back paying top talent. Bank it. The ncaa has no interest in fixing this.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Might be out of their hands. Also, the 1 and done rule may change soon enough to affect the proceedings. I still think the best players available will have financial worth though.

But yeah, the NCAA wants it all to blow over.

There is plenty of proof that top players are getting paid, in many ways. Anyone that is denying this notion is living in lala land. It’s been out there for decades and continues to be illuminated. If you choose to bury your head in the sand then cool

Almost every team getting big recruits is dirty in some way, including IU, hate to say it. It's not even shameful at this point, it is literally what we must do to compete at the level we expect IU to compete at. It probably isn't on the level that Louisville and Duke are on but in some way, the staff is offering benefits that other students are not getting. 

Almost every team getting big recruits is dirty in some way, including IU, hate to say it. It's not even shameful at this point, it is literally what we must do to compete at the level we expect IU to compete at. It probably isn't on the level that Louisville and Duke are on but in some way, the staff is offering benefits that other students are not getting. 

It's not the direct staff, in most cases, that are offering anything. It's the agents (wannabes or real), boosters, shoe company reps, and others.