Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

I have no idea what Romeo is going to decide and neither does anyone else. If he goes to Vandy it'll be because he thinks it's the best opportunity for him, not because he's too scared to tell "Alpha Garland" no. 
I hope after this recruitment is finished, I never see or hear the phrase "Alpha Dog" again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With the thought of Romeo coming to IU, hypothetically Reid Travis of Stanford was granted a 5th year. He is from Minnesota and Ostrom has Minny ties. If Reid decided to be a grad transfer he would be a top choice for many programs. He would have the grades This is just me thinking out loud. He might love Stanford at stay a 5th year or go pro but he would definitely make us better next year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Give me Reid Travis any day of the week. If Morgan and (hypothetically) Travis extend their range they would be a great 1-2 punch down low. A great frosh to soph leap by Smith, Romeo scoring at the SG, and a solid pass first Phinisee would make for a solid Big Ten contender.

No trouble just extremely busy with work, coaching 6th-grade basketball and officiating at a high school almost every night. As far as Romeo is concerned I have heard almost nothing. One tidbit last week but not sure if I believe it even though it was pro-IU. I hope he chooses IU but not sure if he even knows where he is going next year yet. With or without him I do think our roster is going to look a lot different next season. 
And better

I'm assuming that since McBob has already said he'll be back next year, it is probably with a complete understanding that if a scholarship spot is open, it'll be his.

I agree he should be given a scholarship. However, I could also see him not taking that Scholarship if it would mean getting a good grad transfer.

2 thoughts:

If we get Romeo and a Grad transfer with size I'll be excited about IUBB again.

If/when Clifton Moore transfers I'll be sad. I think he will be really good somewhere/someplace. Will trust Archie on how he handles this though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would also add we need a big summer all around. Archie has to go into this with an approach similar to http:// https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rayjQ8reRl8. NSFW... They need someone telling them the effort this year sucked. Get in the gym. Put up your shots and get ready. Mediocrity is not acceptable. I think Archie will get it done but he needs to find out who all wants to win and not be happy with coming to IU. IMO

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

So you think that if we land Romeo we are one transfer away from a final four. Yeah were going to have to disagree on that 

If we had Romeo this season we beat both Duke and Purdue and probably beat MSU at home.  Now imagine adding Phinesee, Hunter, Anderson, Race and a solid grad transfer on top.

You just don't know. The year before we added Cody we went 3-15.  We would've been in the FF if Kentucky doesn't have that once in a lifetime 35-37 night from the stripe.

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we had Romeo this season we beat both Duke and Purdue and probably beat MSU at home.  Now imagine adding Phinesee, Hunter, Anderson, Race and a solid grad transfer on top.

You just don't know. The year before we added Cody we went 3-15.  We would've been in the FF if Kentucky doesn't have that once in a lifetime 35-37 night from the stripe.

Cody was joining a team of experienced upper classmen

So you think that if we land Romeo we are one transfer away from a final four. Yeah were going to have to disagree on that 
No way. We would be good but not a final four team.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m wrong, but I kind of see this first class of Archie’s for next year as being better than any of Crean’s classes he had. I’m talking overall as an entire group. Obviously Crean had his classes that had the ONE big fish recruit like Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh, or Blackmon, but as a collective group as a whole, if Archie gets his big fish in Romeo, the rest of the players we have are all really solid 4 star players. Now obviously after they come to IU they could end up being not as good as they currently appear, that happens and i get it, but I’m just talking recruiting classes that are committed/signed that haven’t put on the stripes yet. Archie’s first year doesn’t include a Grant Gelon, or a Jeremiah April, or an Austin Etherington, etc. I’m definitely excited about what Archie is able to do for us recruiting wise. Everyone always talked about how great of a recruiter Crean was, and maybe so, he did indeed get some good ones no doubt, but I think we are gonna start seeing recruiting classes that are all business and full of high quality players who are meant to be played and contribute. No more Oprah Winfrey style “you get a scholarship! And you get a scholarship! And you! And you!” 

Maybe I’m wrong, but I kind of see this first class of Archie’s for next year as being better than any of Crean’s classes he had. I’m talking overall as an entire group. Obviously Crean had his classes that had the ONE big fish recruit like Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh, or Blackmon, but as a collective group as a whole, if Archie gets his big fish in Romeo, the rest of the players we have are all really solid 4 star players. Now obviously after they come to IU they could end up being not as good as they currently appear, that happens and i get it, but I’m just talking recruiting classes that are committed/signed that haven’t put on the stripes yet. Archie’s first year doesn’t include a Grant Gelon, or a Jeremiah April, or an Austin Etherington, etc. I’m definitely excited about what Archie is able to do for us recruiting wise. Everyone always talked about how great of a recruiter Crean was, and maybe so, he did indeed get some good ones no doubt, but I think we are gonna start seeing recruiting classes that are all business and full of high quality players who are meant to be played and contribute. No more Oprah Winfrey style “you get a scholarship! And you get a scholarship! And you! And you!” 

On paper, purely on paper that 2012 class was better. The 2013 class was too, but those classes had headliners and players around 50ish. The headliners of those two classes panned out. The thing that people ultimately remember is the other players. Despite their lofty rankings those classes did not pan out very well. IMO, this class as currently constructed is closer to the 2009 class but still not as good. We have had highly ranked kids, and classes with Crean, but when that’s all they are and there is no rhyme or reason to them you only stunt their growth. Our best classes were 2010 and 2015 performance wise.

Peegs said the New Albany players including Romeo were buzzing about the reception they received on the road last night. The IU chants from the opposing team’s fans made an impact. 
I get the feeling DM will be eating major crow on his Romeo to vandy prediction. Major crow.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

• Little known fact: Herman "Suz" Sager chose Heidelberg College over IU AND Vandy!
  • 'Can't help it' thought: Geez...I know you're an OldFart, but just how old are you?  

Yeah, but everyone knew that they were dirty- I heard he got 2 sacks of flour and a sporty donkey for agreeing to play there.  

On paper, purely on paper that 2012 class was better. The 2013 class was too, but those classes had headliners and players around 50ish. The headliners of those two classes panned out. The thing that people ultimately remember is the other players. Despite their lofty rankings those classes did not pan out very well. IMO, this class as currently constructed is closer to the 2009 class but still not as good. We have had highly ranked kids, and classes with Crean, but when that’s all they are and there is no rhyme or reason to them you only stunt their growth. Our best classes were 2010 and 2015 performance wise.

As the class currently stands, it does appear similar to that 2009 class with Hulls, Watford, Elston, and Cappo. That was a solid foundation class that went on to win a Big Ten Championship and get to two Sweet Sixteens. If we land Romeo it would be a combination of the 2009 and 2011 classes (Zeller = Romeo). The biggest difference being, I believe, CAM landing a much better follow on recruiting class. Sheehey and Oladipo became solid/great for their roles while the 2009 class was still around. I believe the 2019 class will be better and carry the load when the 18 class graduates.

I don't see how we need any more bigs as a grad transfer. Thompson, Smith, Morgan, and Davis will get all the mins at the 4 and the 5 next year. With Hunter sprinkled in. Then Hunter/Romeo(hopefully)/McRoberts/Durham/Green on the wing 

Phinisee at the point. 

I'd much rather have a combo guard.. from what we've seen from Green, eesh. Gotta find some consistency. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see how we need any more bigs as a grad transfer. Thompson, Smith, Morgan, and Davis will get all the mins at the 4 and the 5 next year. With Hunter sprinkled in. Then Hunter/Romeo(hopefully)/McRoberts/Durham/Green on the wing 

Phinisee at the point. 

I'd much rather have a combo guard.. from what we've seen from Green, eesh. Gotta find some consistency. 

And who knows...we might get an unexpected happy surprise out of either Forrester or Moore as another big.