Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

maybe they are but if he goes to vandy those programs still would of lost a recruiting battle with vandy for Romeo. Yes MSU did recruit Romeo. Tracked him through the summer after his sophomore year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Sugar coat and rationalize all you want it would be a massive loss for us. We need him far more than any of those programs do.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Don’t need to sugar coat anything. If he comes he comes if not then I follow recruiting closely enough to know that when a recruit doesn’t even list a school(Indiana) last year when he was talking about schools recruiting him then there is a coaching change at that school at the start of the recruit senior year in High school that it was going to be a uphill battle regardless of who else was recruiting him. Kudos to CAM and staff for putting us in position to land him. We might need him more than the other schools but that means little in the world of recruiting. In recruiting it’s not about the ones you don’t get it’s about the ones you get.

If your cool with a 3 to 4 year rebuild losing Romeo is simply no big deal.

Romeo would be a huge loss. There’s no other way to state it. And yes Duke, UK, Kansas and UNC recruited him too. I get that. But IU is the state school. If IU loses Romeo Langford, the top in-state player and top 5 recruit nationally to Vanderbilt, it’s absolutely inexcusable

I’m cool with giving a coach at least 1 year of recruiting kids and building relationships with high school coaches and the players. I’m cool with seeing how we are as a team next year with or without a player that will be in the program one year. I’m cool with a new coach bringing in a top 20 recruiting class for the 2018 class on his first cycle. I’m cool with a lot of things.
Nobody said it was not a good class of three to four year players. Will they get us to the ncaa in year 2? I don't know but it may take 3 full years for an ncaa berth. By year 5 sweet sixteen or more area

Romeo would be a huge loss. There’s no other way to state it. And yes Duke, UK, Kansas and UNC recruited him too. I get that. But IU is the state school. If IU loses Romeo Langford, the top in-state player and top 5 recruit nationally to Vanderbilt, it’s absolutely inexcusable
Yes indeed massive loss. The I'm cool with it excuses remind me of the crean 3 year pass which was absurd. You don't know what he inherited blah blah blah.

Some have really lost perspective regarding the value of one recruit to a program. Archie is already doing the right things for long-term program success. Romeo might make next year better, but he doesn't fix any of the issues that were exposed during Crean's tenure. If one recruit could solve all of those, we probably wouldn't be talking about Archie Miller at all.

Some have really lost perspective regarding the value of one recruit to a program. Archie is already doing the right things for long-term program success. Romeo might make next year better, but he doesn't fix any of the issues that were exposed during Crean's tenure. If one recruit could solve all of those, we probably wouldn't be talking about Archie Miller at all.
Romeo turns a 3 year rebuild into a 1 year rebuild. After 30 years of patience some of us would likes a shorter rebuild this time. At yes losing him to vandy would be a massive blow.

Just now, Bailey7878 said:

Romeo turns a 3 year rebuild into a 1 year rebuild. After 30 years of patience some of us would likes a shorter rebuild this time. At yes losing him to vandy would be a massive blow.

Does he? Or will it still take 3 years for Archie to build and recruit a team of 12 other players that understand his system and expectations. What happens when Romeo leaves? Is the next top 20 player a must get and an inexcusable miss?

14 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Hoosier Guy, I'm not going to pick on you here, but I would like to make an observation of sorts.

I think "inexcusable" might be the wrong word. We all know what CAM has to overcome as left by the previous staff. It's been noted on this forum several times over, so I'll skip that part.

Stating an unfavorable result in this recruiting battle as inexcusable implies the fault lies upon someone's shoulders. In this case, that would be the coaching staff. If RL goes to that school in Tennessee, is it really their fault? And are there really no excuses for him not coming here? The answer to both of those questions: No way. We can trace the basis for that answer directly to the previous staff.

Losing out to Vanderbilt would be awful, suck, stink, be terrible, be tough to swallow, and maybe even embarrassing, etc. But I don't feel it to be inexcusable within the new regime at IU Men's Basketball. The group of people that have no excuses for missing out on Romeo Langford are now former employees of Indiana University (and Louisville, lol).

Hang in there. Something good is coming in Bloomington. CAM has turned nothing into quite a bit of something, and he's only just had the chance to get started.

Oh I’m not concerned about Archie being the one. That’s the least of my worries

Does he? Or will it still take 3 years for Archie to build and recruit a team of 12 other players that understand his system and expectations. What happens when Romeo leaves? Is the next top 20 player a must get and an inexcusable miss?
Nope because these guys will have a year under their belts. But don't expect them to come in and get us to the ncaa in year one without Romeo.

The fact that Romeo is the top state of Indiana player and a top 5 recruit nationally makes it a big deal. Those guys don’t just come along every year
You got it and it's a big deal. I think Eric Gordon was the last one. He is a 100% must get.

There isn't a single must get player instate or otherwise. We need to set a tone of consistently landing the best instate players though.

Romeo is by far the best player instate in 2018. If we could land him we would have 3/5 best players instate. In that sense, Romeo is a must get.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

There isn't a single must get player instate or otherwise. We need to set a tone of consistently landing the best instate players though.

Romeo is by far the best player instate in 2018. If we could land him we would have 3/5 best players instate. In that sense, Romeo is a must get.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IU has to consistently land the top in-state player. It is of monumental importance to protect the state. This state is a basketball hotbed and IU needs to take advantage of it

IU has to consistently land the top in-state player. It is of monumental importance to protect the state. This state is a basketball hotbed and IU needs to take advantage of it
Sadly your fighting an argument that it seems a lot of people don't agreed with. They think losing top in state talent is no big deal. Nothing to see I guess.

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

Sadly your fighting an argument that it seems a lot of people don't agreed with. They think losing top in state talent is no big deal. Nothing to see I guess.

Nobody is saying that. It’s just unrealistic to think we will get the top in state player every year. Not every kid wants to go to IU because they happen to live in the state. Look at Jerome Hunter. He’s from Columbus and chose us over Ohio State.