Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

Cutting down to 3 by thanksgiving was what Tim Langford said to Snow today. So I think there's definitely a way.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So … when will he decide?

Tim Langford told IndyStar’s Hoosier Insider Zach Osterman that the family will try to have these five remaining schools that Romeo is considering narrowed to three by Thanksgiving. “We’re gonna sit down and talk as a family, try to narrow it down to three," Tim Langford said. "If my son says he knows what school he wants to go to, we’ll make that announcement then.”

Just now, mdn82 said:

Tim Langford told IndyStar’s Hoosier Insider Zach Osterman that the family will try to have these five remaining schools that Romeo is considering narrowed to three by Thanksgiving. “We’re gonna sit down and talk as a family, try to narrow it down to three," Tim Langford said. "If my son says he knows what school he wants to go to, we’ll make that announcement then.”

That last sentence says it all

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

so basically, Thanksgiving is the time to cut it to three, but the last sentence leaves an out for it POSSIBLY being earlier if he is set on where he wants to go.

EDIT: ...which I personally believe he will announce earlier than Thanksgiving, one way or the other.

I'm not as good a source as Hoosier Guy, but I've felt good about Romeo since the Archie hire. That to me made it a 2 horse race between IU and UL. Since Louisville got slammed for hookers and paying players in such a short time span, I've been pretty sure it would be us. IU and UL are the only places where the fan love, proximity to home, national spotlight and team quality converge. One school took itself out of the equation. Thankfully we're the program left standing.

To me the UNC and KU talk is because Romeo is just making sure he remembers he has options. I'm no high-profile athlete, but I'm a year and a half removed from the college decision, and my favorite school separated itself pretty quickly as the place where all the factors were met. KU and UNC aren't convenient for his family to see him and the fans there don't care about him anywhere near as much as at IU.

I've always thought he could be star anywhere else but to be a hero, a legend, he'd have to go to IU or UL. We're the only option left.

so basically, Thanksgiving is the time to cut it to three, but the last sentence leaves an out for it POSSIBLY being earlier if he is set on where he wants to go.

Absolute worst case Thanksgiving. Best case they know. But the reason why I laugh at that week anything coming out is that is the week his season starts is that week. Doesn't make sense even if it is worst case scenario.

2 minutes ago, CR3AMnCR1MS0N said:

I'm not as good a source as Hoosier Guy, but I've felt good about Romeo since the Archie hire. That to me made it a 2 horse race between IU and UL. Since Louisville got slammed for hookers and paying players in such a short time span, I've been pretty sure it would be us. IU and UL are the only places where the fan love, proximity to home, national spotlight and team quality converge. One school took itself out of the equation. Thankfully we're the program left standing.

To me the UNC and KU talk is because Romeo is just making sure he remembers he has options. I'm no high-profile athlete, but I'm a year and a half removed from the college decision, and my favorite school separated itself pretty quickly as the place where all the factors were met. KU and UNC aren't convenient for his family to see him and the fans there don't care about him anywhere near as much as at IU.

I've always thought he could be star anywhere else but to be a hero, a legend, he'd have to go to IU or UL. We're the only option left.

It was IU vs Louisville ever since Archie came along. He made Romeo a HUGE priority. Any coach with sense would’ve done the same thing. Once Louisville was eliminated, IU was the front runner. Hasn’t changed since

That last sentence says it all

EDIT: ...which I personally believe he will announce earlier than Thanksgiving, one way or the other.

Agreed. I feel that out for possibly deciding before then is in place because there will be significant influence from Garland's decision. With DG reportedly deciding very soon or waiting until fall signing, it gives Romeo a little extra time to re-evaluate his decision based off the direction Garland takes, if needed.

8 minutes ago, CR3AMnCR1MS0N said:

Very apt analysis.

14 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Idk IMO U of L fans are the absolute worse.

Having lived in Louisville for the past 3 years, I would have to agree. The basketball team is good, but the fans are crazy. Football is even worse though. At the start of every football season, the local radio shows talk about how Louisville has a decent shot at making the CFP. The entire fan base is delusional...

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

He very well could be. But that's no reason not to take his time. 

I've always said no reason to even sign in the fall

signing in the fall, for a top recruit like Romeo is mostly (if not completely) for the fans.  Their spots will be held.  By signing in the spring, they can see the make-up of the team and possible projections for the following season.  get a look of players growth in the off-season, season-ending injuries, how a team handles adversity and, (possibly most importantly for Indiana's situation), exactly how a new coach's system works at a new school.

I completely understand that it could be beneficial for the player to sign early by "getting it out of the way" and "being able to focus on their high school season," but even if they choose to wait until spring, I would be surprised the size of the impact waiting has on a players psyche...

With all this being said, I hope he commits soon, for my own sanity and productivity at work!

I am guessing Mr. Snow is not in the loop on this one. Can't be in on them all.

I think he is in his one. He is a national guy that live in the Indy area and his focus is the Midwest for scout. He has referenced talking with Tim Langford quite a bit when discussing his recruitment. I would say he is not in the loop on the Garland one. In my opinion

I think he is in his one. He is a national guy that live in the Indy area and his focus is the Midwest for scout. He has referenced talking with Tim Langford quite a bit when discussing his recruitment. I would say he is not in the loop on the Garland one. In my opinion

Fair enough. The only items he has presented have the sound bites Langford has give for everyone. Nothing new or abnormal. Anything Zach Osterman has provided for free has been provided by him. He is really good, but I don't feel he is plugged in this one. He isn't doing anything wrong, his info in this instance isn't pay worthy. IMO

My wildly speculative opinion:

Garland commits to Indiana in the fall, then 80% chance Romeo commits in the fall and 20% chance in the spring

Garland doesn't commit to Indiana, 10% chance Romeo commits in the fall, 50% chance commits in the spring,  and 40% chance UNC and KU become much more serious options for spring signing. 

If Garland doesn't commit, Green or someone else other than Newkirk need to demonstrate a level of PG performance I am not expecting to see this year... KU and UNC will both be much more attractive in terms of winning potential and PG. Garland is so important to this class.

Sheesh, depending on who you read you come away thinking IU has Romeo in the bag and he will commit soon or he really is uncertain and we will find out where he goes in five months.

Zeller's recruitment was more tight lipped than this.

I wasn't on the boards at the time, but was Cody's recruitment as big nationally as Langford? Or just equally/more hyped within the state?

More fanfare due to IU being where we were and UNC with two Zeller's already having been there with titles. Butler had just come off their run as well. I think Zeller's got more coverage tbh which is weird.