Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

It was the same source that told me watch out for Vandy before he really even mentioned them and the same guy I shared KU becoming a factor with us and U of L. Of course that was before the FBI thing. I trust him, but Romeo seems to set his sets on a certain school or two and then becomes fond of another. Right when you think it is us or this school another seems to emerge. Kinda like us when it was Duke or U of L. I have thought he commits before 2018 for awhile just always seem to end up questioning it. A lot of big names are announcing early this year unlike most years so that gives me hope lol. 

In the big picture, I agree. That's the biggest factor in our ability to recruit the prime talents for years to come is to not only get back on the national stage, but to be a regular there.

I think in the short term (this season) it's going to be the perception of the talking heads and, more importantly, the local fan base that gets the attention of the 2018 and 2019 kids. There is a huge chance for IU /Archie to up the ante in his first year if expectations can be exceeded. The question is, what are those expectations in the eyes of a kid like Romeo? And, should the expectations of the fans/media around him not be exceeded, how much do their opinions sway him? Of those schools in contention for him, we are the program with the most to prove this year and a lot of attention will be garnered because of it.

I have confidence in CAM and what he does this season (and moving forward, of course). We'll see how it impacts Romeo's choice eventually. Go Hoosiers!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

How can you say that he sets his sights on a few schools and becomes fond of them, when the whole time all he has done is due diligence on the final 7 that he had it narrowed to. And as far as your source...everytime he has made a visit somewhere or has had a program in house, you come out and always say that that your source says that the recent visiting program is now high up in his choices. It has been this way since the Vandy visit. Your source has no more knowledge than the rest of us here on this site. No one but his family knows where he is leaning. I just get a kick out of all the rotating favorites.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

He's not waiting till Spring. There's no need to

This is where we disagree. If I was a top 5 recruit and a new coach took over a school that had previously recruited me I would want to wait and see how he did during the season and how the current team played under him in his first year. Waiting until spring would give me a chance to know the staff better. It would be hard for me as a top 5 kid committing to a coach that hasn't even recruited me a calendar year yet. That's just my opinion

ESPN predictions

ESPN recruiting writer Jeff Borzello’s “Hot Board” last week included predictions for UK targets R.J. Barrett (Duke), Bol Bol (Arizona), Quentin Grimes (Kansas), Keldon Johnson (Texas), Romeo Langford (a Kansas-Indiana tie) and Zion Williamson (Kentucky). Only the Duke pick for Barrett had a “confidence level” of more than 50 percent.

The Barrett, Langford and Williamson predictions are all in line with what the Herald-Leader has been hearing recently. Kansas is probably the best bet for Grimes, although — as Scout.com’s Evan Daniels told us last week — UK looks to be in better shape than many think. There’s still a lot of optimism, confidence even, from UK’s camp regarding Johnson, one of the top wing players in the class. Bol, as mentioned earlier, could end up anywhere, especially with the recent uncertainty at Arizona and USC.

This is where we disagree. If I was a top 5 recruit and a new coach took over a school that had previously recruited me I would want to wait and see how he did during the season and how the current team played under him in his first year. Waiting until spring would give me a chance to know the staff better. It would be hard for me as a top 5 kid committing to a coach that hasn't even recruited me a calendar year yet. That's just my opinion

^^^ Agree. It bodes better if not well for us the longer he waits. He knows what he's going to get with the other schools regarding coaching and a generalized sense of play styles. We bring something new to the table and the IU product will improve quickly in all likelihood. If the potential of this program didn't seriously interest him we wouldn't have made the cut.

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What's the reason to do it in the fall?

That's just Hoosier Guy's communication style.  Confidence that everything will go as well as possible, best case scenario.  For some reason it rubs some people the wrong way, but I don't think he means it like that.  That's his positivity in the best case scenario of Romeo being so overwhelmed by his HH visit that he'll end the debate and commit.  

He was doing the same stuff when IU was in the coaching search, and Hoosier Guy posted daily with matter-of-fact statements that Billy Donovan was coming.  When it didn't happen, Hoosier Guy was immediately on board with the positivity for Archie.  Again, just his communication style.  I don't think he's actually looking to debate the merits of a 5* waiting to commit.

You can choose whether to read the post or not man. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. I actually said Vandy was a sleeper for awhile and said KU was a strong possibility before his in home with Self in which he announced he was visiting lol. BTW, even though he has had the same list, IU yes us were not perceived to have much of a shot this time last year, Duke which was one of if not the favorite is no longer in his top schools, UK which many believed playing for Cal with the US team made them a threat isn't seen as an option anymore, Vandy was not a school he wanted to visit until Garland got serious about them and UNC has been very inconsistent with him. Then of course there is U of L. I never said he is switching schools left and right but that the SAME schools that were looked at as not a strong option have became one and then fell off. You can make it to where you don't see someones post btw. Just a heads up man. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

That's just Hoosier Guy's communication style.  Confidence that everything will go as well as possible, best case scenario.  For some reason it rubs some people the wrong way, but I don't think he means it like that.  That's his positivity in the best case scenario of Romeo being so overwhelmed by his HH visit that he'll end the debate and commit.  

He was doing the same stuff when IU was in the coaching search, and Hoosier Guy posted daily with matter-of-fact statements that Billy Donovan was coming.  When it didn't happen, Hoosier Guy was immediately on board with the positivity for Archie.  Again, just his communication style.  I don't think he's actually looking to debate the merits of a 5* waiting to commit.

Gotcha nothing bad about what he said just everything I've been told is that he wants to see Archie's style before he would commit to IU. 

I think a lot of us was fooled or led to believe that Donovan was going to be the next head coach. 

4 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

You can choose whether to read the post or not man. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. I actually said Vandy was a sleeper for awhile and said KU was a strong possibility before his in home with Self in which he announced he was visiting lol. BTW, even though he has had the same list, IU yes us were not perceived to have much of a shot this time last year, Duke which was one of if not the favorite is no longer in his top schools, UK which many believed playing for Cal with the US team made them a threat isn't seen as an option anymore, Vandy was not a school he wanted to visit until Garland got serious about them and UNC has been very inconsistent with him. Then of course there is U of L. I never said he is switching schools left and right but that the SAME schools that were looked at as not a strong option have became one and then fell off. You can make it to where you don't see someones post btw. Just a heads up man. ;) 

Has your source told you anything about Self, KU visiting the Langfords for their in home and making them mad? I was told something but not sure if it's true or not since I haven't heard it from others. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Gotcha nothing bad about what he said just everything I've been told is that he wants to see Archie's style before he would commit to IU. 

I think a lot of us was fooled or led to believe that Donovan was going to be the next head coach. 

Yep.  You bring valuable information to the forum.  Hoosier Guy brings unwavering positivity.  Both of you help make this my favorite IU basketball forum lol.

Man, that Donovan stuff.  I still have people absolutely swearing by their information that it was very, very close to happening.  Archie definitely feels like the right guy, now.  

All this talk only heightens the pressure for Archie to perform this season. He obviously has a built in excuse if things don't go as planned but if he exceeds media expectations, the hype train will get rolling for Archie and his recruits.

Underperforming could cause a few recruits some pause.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Yep.  You bring valuable information to the forum.  Hoosier Guy brings unwavering positivity.  Both of you help make this my favorite IU basketball forum lol.

Man, that Donovan stuff.  I still have people absolutely swearing by their information that it was very, very close to happening.  Archie definitely feels like the right guy, now.  

Yes thank someone that we didn't give Donovan the amount of money he was asking if that was true at all. I'm so happy to have someone that could be here for the next 30 years. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

All this talk only heightens the pressure for Archie to perform this season. He obviously has a built in excuse if things don't go as planned but if he exceeds media expectations, the hype train will get rolling for Archie and his recruits.

Underperforming could cause a few recruits some pause.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well Seth Davis new online magazine had us finishing 12th earlier today. So hopefully Archie can outdo those expectations 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well Seth Davis new online magazine had us finishing 12th earlier today. So hopefully Archie can outdo those expectations 

I just can't fathom this. They actually think one of Penn state, Rutgers, and Ohio state will be better than us. 

Thats why I don't give these preseason rankings any merit. We know that won't happen.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

What's the reason to do it in the fall?

It's because he could solely focus on the basketball season and not have to worry about where he goes to school. I wouldn't want to have that decision weighing on me during my senior season. But that's just my view

28 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I just can't fathom this. They actually think one of Penn state, Rutgers, and Ohio state will be better than us. 

Thats why I don't give these preseason rankings any merit. We know that won't happen.

There's no way IU finishes 10th or below. However, that would definitely give me concern if that snowball's chance in hell actually happened

Just now, Hoosier Guy said:

It's because he could solely focus on the basketball season and not have to worry about where he goes to school. I wouldn't want to have that decision weighing on me during my senior season. But that's just my view

Gotcha and I totally get that for most recruits. But with Romeo he isn't worried about where he is going, he is going wherever he wants to go.