Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

"As good?"  Yeah.  He was.  He was a far better defender as a sophomore.  Also a lot bigger.  He averaged more points, more rebounds, more FT attempts - and led the Big Ten in attempts and makes;  had more assists, and more blocks.  (granted the last two were marginal, but so were the numbers on which he declined a bit)   His team improved by 2 games, his "plus/minus" was identical, and he was asked to play more minutes.   He never was asked to develop a jump shot; and he drew a hell of a lot more double teams than he did his freshman year.  He was never truly allowed to play out on the floor facing the basket; and he was the best mobile big man in the country.  Was he as efficient as he was his freshman season?  Was he utilized properly?  I can make that argument.  But a regression?  I don't see that.

Cody should've been better his sophomore season and he wasn't. I still think a lot of it had to do with coaching but I won't go down that road. Most posters here would find a problem with what I have to say. I get tired of it

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Well, not many would argue that Cody did not have the giant freshmen to sophomore leap that we all expected or hoped for but to say he was better as a freshman is silly. He was the best player on the #1 team in the country as a sophomore and went #4 in the draft.

There is zero chance freshman Cody was better than sophomore Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And there is zero chance that sophomore Cody was better than freshman Cody. I'm done with this conversation. Not talking about it anymore

You're trying to say Cody was as good as a sophomore as a freshman? All you had to do was watch the games and you could tell that was not the case

Yes I am exactly saying that. Stats back that up too. I truly hope we have another 5* staying more than one year as our chances of competing for titles improve greatly when you have talent plus experience. Not many instances of Freshman 5* title winners. There are a few for sure, but would love the combo of one and done as well as high end talent that comes back. If I have a choice of one and only one I will always take a top ten player at a premium position that could stick around more than a year. Luckily we are in on both. Fun times ahead.

9 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Cody should've been better his sophomore season and he wasn't. I still think a lot of it had to do with coaching but I won't go down that road. Most posters here would find a problem with what I have to say. I get tired of it

I saw what you saw, and I would attribute most if not all of it to coaching and the way he was used.   I smiled at your last sentence.  Wouldn't know anything about that....

23 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I made my opinions on Zeller pretty clear during the May Madness tournament. Love the kid but he was one of our most overrated recruits ever.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wat.

He was ranked #15 in his class and should have been top 3.

Made a crappy team very good.

Wat.
He was ranked #15 in his class and should have been top 3.
Made a crappy team very good.

We didn’t contend for a national championship and recruits didn’t flock to IU to play with him.

His career stats were right on with DJ White give or take a couple pts/blocks. DJ is one of my favorites of all time but no one talks about him as some phenomenal recruit like they do Zeller when they had the same IU career except DJ played here longer. I see people comment about the #1 ranking while Zeller was here which honestly doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t get the job done.

Don’t get me wrong I love Cody but let’s not pretend like he was some program savior that he really wasn’t.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Is it just me, or does it kinda seem like Romeo's visits are conveniently coinciding with the NCAA college football game of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He just wants to take in some good games before committing at Hoosier Hysteria. 

Had us #1 for the whole year yes we lost early but we were considered contenders to win that year no doubt. He also was a second team all- American and went 4th in the draft. If that's an overrated recruit then I want more overrated recruits.

Considered and actually being one are two different things.

Ok and DJ was too that doesn’t make him some program saving recruit.

Ok and Yogi went undrafted and that has nothing to do with what he was to IU. Not sure what you point was because most consider that to be another bad MJ pick.

I’ll take more Cody Zeller’s too, but I won’t pretend like he’s going to be a program savior.

21 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

We didn’t contend for a national championship and recruits didn’t flock to IU to play with him.

His career stats were right on with DJ White give or take a couple pts/blocks. DJ is one of my favorites of all time but no one talks about him as some phenomenal recruit like they do Zeller when they had the same IU career except DJ played here longer. I see people comment about the #1 ranking while Zeller was here which honestly doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t get the job done.

Don’t get me wrong I love Cody but let’s not pretend like he was some program savior that he really wasn’t.

Yeah, but his numbers are only part of his story.  His mobility was his greatest attribute.   He was never utilized as he should have been; and we absolutely contended for a title with him at Indiana.  We were a #1 seed and won the Big Ten.  The problem there was Crean; not Cody.  The way he was used in the Syracuse game was laughable.  That's on Crean, not Cody.

Cody committed relatively early; and the following season was "the movement."   It obviously didn't work out, but that's the only class who COULD have "flocked" to play with Cody, and it was one of the top classes in the country at the time.   The guy was arguably the most dominant mobile big man in the country, and his team in 2011-2012 went from 12-20 to 27-9 without adding a whole lot more.  (Though Oladipo improved a great deal....that's true)  That''s exclusively on Cody because it sure as heck wasn't on Crean.  

All due respect, I think you're selling Zeller short and perhaps placing blame on un-reached potential on a guy 30 years younger than the man who should shoulder it.