Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

5 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I don't have the history, but I'm not sure it sounds like Brian "hates" IU.  

Snow is a moron. He says on this podcast that we lost our 3 best players from last year. So Johnson, McSwain and Hartman are all three better than Morgan, Davis and Green? Not a chance. He comes off as a casual fan pretending to be an expert. 

5 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Snow is a moron. He says on this podcast that we lost our 3 best players from last year. So Johnson, McSwain and Hartman are all three better than Morgan, Davis and Green? Not a chance. He comes off as a casual fan pretending to be an expert. 

The reference to losing our 3 best players was about when Archie took over.  We lost Bryant, Blackmon, & OG.  Again, I'm not familiar enough about Snow to say he full of BS or not but ... 

6 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

The reference to losing our 3 best players was about when Archie took over.  We lost Bryant, Blackmon, & OG.  Again, I'm not familiar enough about Snow to say he full of BS or not but ... 

Yea, I think the jump forward reference to Romeo made me think he was talking about last season. 

Brian Snow of 247 was on kent Sterling today and said that next week everyone should expect to hear Brooks’ decision and that all four of the finalists (UNC, Michigan St, Kentucky, and Indiana) seem to be neck and neck.
So its not a done deal. Great.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I personally am not a fan of Snow but he is correct when Archie took the job there were 16 guys on scholarship and had to get down to 13. So OG, Blackmon, and Bryant all went pro. The Administration advised him that with our APR scores we couldn't afford a transfer we were stuck with that roster. So here we are today with some of those players.

Was he told he had to retain the signed recruits?  

WOW Glass needs to go. Like for real you can’t tie a coaches hands like that. 
Tom crean has done an absolutely phenomenal job bringing Indiana University back to its rightful place as one of the elite basketball pro- grams in the country," Glass said. "His energy, integrity, ability, passion, industry, vision, and commitment are unparalleled."

I thought he was right guy from the beginning," Glass told The Associated Press at halftime of Indiana's 97-54 victory over Bryant. "I thought he was the right guy when we hired Kelvin. As it turned out, I ended up here and we ended up hiring him.

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was he told he had to retain the signed recruits?  

39 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't want to say yes for sure but YES.

36 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Disagree Brass;

For Glass? If he gave Archie full disclosure prior to the hire of the APR issues and the necessities to solve them, that's good form, and was likely a real contributing factor to Crean getting the heave ho.

Guys talk me through this.  Crean had us in a position where our low APR left us with at least a threat of penalties.  Those include (from NCAA.com):

The first penalty level limits teams to 16 hours of practice per week over five days (as opposed to 20 over six days), with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities.

A second level adds additional practice and competition reductions, either in the traditional or non-championship season, to the first-level penalties. The third level, where teams could remain until their rate improves, includes a menu of possible penalties, including coaching suspensions, financial aid reductions and restricted NCAA membership. The Division I Committee on Academics, which oversees Division I’s academic infrastructure, has the discretion to apply appropriate penalties once teams have fallen below the benchmark for three consecutive years.

While postseason bans are commonly applied as a penalty in the NCAA enforcement process, they are not considered as a penalty for poor academic performance. Instead, the requirement that teams achieve a minimum APR is simply a benchmark for participation in championships. Just as teams must win in competition to be eligible for championships, they must also achieve in the classroom.

So, Crean gets canned.  Archie gets hired.  The situation is explained to Archie that we can't afford transfers due to the already low APR.  How is this mismanagement by Glass?  I can imagine that Archie happily complied if it otherwise meant limited practice time or worse.  Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like pretty solid management, no?

I do have a question that maybe Chris007 can answer.  If Archie was instructed not to allow transfers, then what was Gelon?  Jones?  We had two transfers that first year, with reports that Archie definitely asked Grant to leave, and at least helped influence Curtis.

Edit:  Stuhoo beat me.  Bah. 

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Guys talk me through this.  Crean had us in a position where our low APR left us with at least a threat of penalties.  Those include (from NCAA.com):

The first penalty level limits teams to 16 hours of practice per week over five days (as opposed to 20 over six days), with the lost four hours to be replaced with academic activities.

A second level adds additional practice and competition reductions, either in the traditional or non-championship season, to the first-level penalties. The third level, where teams could remain until their rate improves, includes a menu of possible penalties, including coaching suspensions, financial aid reductions and restricted NCAA membership. The Division I Committee on Academics, which oversees Division I’s academic infrastructure, has the discretion to apply appropriate penalties once teams have fallen below the benchmark for three consecutive years.

While postseason bans are commonly applied as a penalty in the NCAA enforcement process, they are not considered as a penalty for poor academic performance. Instead, the requirement that teams achieve a minimum APR is simply a benchmark for participation in championships. Just as teams must win in competition to be eligible for championships, they must also achieve in the classroom.

So, Crean gets canned.  Archie gets hired.  The situation is explained to Archie that we can't afford transfers due to the already low APR.  How is this mismanagement by Glass?  I can imagine that Archie happily complied if it otherwise meant limited practice time or worse.  Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like pretty solid management, no?

I do have a question that maybe Chris007 can answer.  If Archie was instructed not to allow transfers, then what was Gelon?  Jones?  We had two transfers that first year, with reports that Archie definitely asked Grant to leave, and at least helped influence Curtis.

Edit:  Stuhoo beat me.  Bah. 

I think with Jones he played a semester and didn't like it. Gelon I'm guessing it was obvious to everyone involved he couldn't play at this level and had to go. Sorry I don't have all of the answers.

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think with Jones he played a semester and didn't like it. Gelon I'm guessing it was obvious to everyone involved he couldn't play at this level and had to go. Sorry I don't have all of the answers.

Could be that Archie was given full disclosure, and knew that he could let one player go without any further APR problems. He then watched practice for a month and realized that Al, Clifton, and Justin were far better than Gelon.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Before you all get out your pitchforks, if our APR failed to reach a certain score we would have been barred from participating in post-season events.

So, smart move by the administration and coach...

Edit: Stu and my dinner beat me to it

8 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Before you all get out your pitchforks, if our APR failed to reach a certain score we would have been barred from participating in post-season events.

So, smart move by the administration and coach...

Edit: Stu and my dinner beat me to it

APR would have had nothing to do about having Archie try and keep Durham, Smith and Moore