Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

Is it not fair to give a coach more than a couple of years before people start with the pitchforks. We need more "yes men" on our roster.
If you want 9 years of inconsistent results I suppose. Great coaches don't need you to give them 3-5 years. Disagree all you want and give me the 4 examples that have been regurgitated all over that are the exceptions to it. This is more true than not by a lot. For every great coach that found "it" in year 6 I'll give you 10+ that didn't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Asking questions and having expectations is hardly 

Player development and getting to the dance yearly definitely are my expectations moving forward with Archie. Jerome's health is my biggest question. Pitchforks was not directed at you. 

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If you want 9 years of inconsistent results I suppose. Great coaches don't need you to give them 3-5 years. Disagree all you want and give me the 4 examples that have been regurgitated all over that are the exceptions to it. This is more true than not by a lot. For every great coach that found "it" in year 6 I'll give you 10+ that didn't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

So every 2 years let's recycle coaches until we find the right one. No one ever said to give the guy 9 years. Give 1 example of a coach in his second year that had to deal with the amount of injuries as we did.

So every 2 years let's recycle coaches until we find the right one. No one ever said to give the guy 9 years. Give 1 example of a coach in his second year that had to deal with the amount of injuries as we did.
Bo ryan had two first places in his two first years. Second and third the next two. Not saying fire archie but it doesnt always take four years. Bad finish next year would be concering imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The sunshine and unicorns of this board thought Grant Gelon would contribute his freshman year. The same thing is constantly said over and over again every year about every recruit. If you think not getting dog Keion is fine because we got Franklin, you’re in denial of what this team needs and how much better Keion would have made us. Difference between 20 wins and 15. NIT at best for yet another season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

If you think not getting dog Keion is fine because we got Franklin, you’re in denial of what this team needs and how much better Keion would have made us. 

Yes and No.  Maybe if we were getting the Keion that was advertised.  The one who said how important it was to play for the name Indiana on the front of the jersey and staying home.  The one who had great chemistry with TJD and Franklin.  Instead when we peel the layers back, there’s him leaving his hs team in the middle of a season, and then going to LaLu, “time to be selfish” and then mentioning wanting his millions as a OAD when he’s not even on draft boards right now,  are all the proof I need that we are better off without him.  

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

My mind is boggled at his ranking. The stats like Phinisee defy his ranking 

I'm convinced "experts" are self titled.  He plays in 4A against D1 kids every night.   I saw him score an easy 30 in 24 minutes against Lawrence North 2 weeks ago.   He's good.  Much better than Anderson.

The sunshine and unicorns of this board thought Grant Gelon would contribute his freshman year. The same thing is constantly said over and over again every year about every recruit. If you think not getting dog Keion is fine because we got Franklin, you’re in denial of what this team needs and how much better Keion would have made us. Difference between 20 wins and 15. NIT at best for yet another season.

Yup

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

Yes and No.  Maybe if we were getting the Keion that was advertised.  The one who said how important it was to play for the name Indiana on the front of the jersey and staying home.  The one who had great chemistry with TJD and Franklin.  Instead when we peel the layers back, there’s him leaving his hs team in the middle of a season, and then going to LaLu, “time to be selfish” and then mentioning wanting his millions as a OAD when he’s not even on draft boards right now,  are all the proof I need that we are better off without him.  

Yep.  The last thing we need are over hyped ESPN wannabes only concerned about their limelight.  What we need to build a program are humble stars willing to put the work in to succeed.  More Vic's. 

10 hours ago, Rico said:

Umm......Saban won a title at LSU.  He is Pitino.

And Alabama went through coach after coach until they got him.  Most of them didn't last more than 2-3 years and a couple didn't last a full year.  They weren't "patient" because they hadn't been the same since Bryant, they said here's expectations it's your job to meet them.

We were patient with Crean, too patient.  We heard "we'll be fine, give him time" plenty of times during his 9 years (here) of poorly pretending he learned anything from Izzo.  IU needs to start holding expectations instead of lowering them.

After reading the article Rico linked, and then recalling some of the recent comments from Brooks Sr., it's interesting that the term "selfish" was used to describe him and used by him (Sr. that is).  Maybe Jr. is the highly talented, good team mate kid we were all led to think, but dad's own ego and agenda took the wheel and is steering him toward the NBA.  Or maybe it was all lip service. Truthfully, the words from KBJ seem at odds with the actions.  I get a feeling that KBJ at IU had a very distinct possibility of being very similar to what we saw with Justin Smith's dad - and we don't need any more of that tish.

Anyway, the Brooks Saga is over.  On to the future.

God, I hope we can get and stay healthy going forward.  We'll never know how much injuries have stunted the development of this team.  Not so much for our success in this season, but going forward.  The way I see we need these things (in order of importance) going forward:

1. Avoid injuries.  At least the extended or serious type.

2. Significant improvement in both execution and consistency.  The kids have to want it, be focused on it, and be dedicated to it.  I suspect some will and some won't.  Hopefully, those that don't will do what's best for themselves and the program.

3. I'd love to see us add someone with talent and experience.  Ideally a player that transfers because of a coaching change.  A 5th year guy needs to bring leadership and work ethic.  We aren't going to the S16 next year, so we need a player that will either be around to build and establish a winning culture, or one that can instill the mentality for those who will be around after he leaves.  Honestly, I have this sick feeling that we put too many eggs in the Brooks basket and are now trying to play catch up (pun avoided intentionally) with any possible recruits.

4.  The new players (freshmen + Hunter) need to be given time without unrealistic expectations.  If they produce great, but I don't expect a huge impact. Hunter sounds like a difference maker, but there's so much uncertainty about his medical condition and lack of playing basketball that I just don't know what to expect.

5. Recruiting needs to be focused on finding the players that provide the combination of skills and attitude that will benefit IU basketball - not hotshots that will stop by for a cup of coffee and then skeedaddle to the NBA.  I truly believe Archie has (or should have) a bitter taste in his mouth about these type of recruits.  He didn't build Dayton with 'em, and if he's going to follow his own blueprint that has to include the type of players he's had success with in the past (hopefully more skilled & talented now that he's at this level).  If a top 50 type player wants to be a part of what CAM is doing and wants to commit - great.  But holding the bus for months and months waiting for them to decide is for the birds.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think IU is a 20 win team next year, barring injuries or other anomalies.

Phinisee should be a solid force ALL year, Green another year of maturity- he drives me nuts but his shooting is needed. Hunter by all accounts is a long talented SF with serious potential. TJD even as a freshman could be an 8-10ppg/5rpg guy. Healthy Davis is another 8-10ppg/5rpg guy...Race and Smith off the bench, Al and Franklin off the bench...not bad guys..most of our team will be top 100 guys. Only a couple teams in the B1G can say that. We will have the talent, but will it come together under Archie? I think it will.

Again, without another serious injury bug, that team could def be a 20 win team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sucks we didn’t get Keion, but if Archie can start stacking 4* guys year after year we could be in good shape.

Completely and absolutely disagree.   Have you seen him play?

I can’t remember if it was you or another poster who was giving out similar praise for Rob last year. When we missed on Garland that poster said we would be very pleased with Rob even in year 1.

Those were spot on predictions, so if from you hopefully you are right on Franklin.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm convinced "experts" are self titled.  He plays in 4A against D1 kids every night.   I saw him score an easy 30 in 24 minutes against Lawrence North 2 weeks ago.   He's good.  Much better than Anderson.

Exactly! Dakich says it on his show all the time something Brad Stevens said once and that was “who ranks the rankers?” It’s a good question because those guys are wrong a lot.

Yep.  The last thing we need are over hyped ESPN wannabes only concerned about their limelight.  What we need to build a program are humble stars willing to put the work in to succeed.  More Vic's. 

I wouldn't put that label on him, at least not exclusively.

There's a good chance his parents have more to do with this than he does.

Yep. Every recruit we get is always going to be good. Anderson is lights out from three, etc.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If De’Ron is back and healthy, having him and Phinisee plus TJD and Race answers the concerns I had at the beginning of this past season. Maybe even just TJD and Race fix those.

For such an basketball crazed fan base, I feel that many still overlooked the importance of a consistent and reliable PG. We clearly saw that effect this season during the times Phinisee was out or recovering from the concussion.

With the currently assumed roster, I think we have a better constructed roster than this past year. Now it’s about development and adding a shooter grad transfer. We can’t replace Romeo and Juwan, but we can make improvements across the roster to mitigate losses of individual contributors.