Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

12 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

MaxPreps doesn’t seem to track his percentages (or at least doesn’t post them on the free site).

FWIW, I don't find MaxPreps overly helpful in gathering player stats.  As ap2345 noted, it's up to someone at the school to get the data to MaxPreps and most just don't seem to want to make the effort.  But, we have our ways (in my Col. Klink voice).

Through 9 games this season, Brooks averaging 23.7ppg on 40% FG; only 22% on 3's; 75% FT. 

Through 6 games, he's averaging 9.5 rebounds/game.

Through 4 games, he's averaging 3 assts/game; 1 TO/game; 1 stl/game.

And don't ask because I have no idea why the data for all categories isn't for the same 9 games, but probably like MaxPreps someone at LaLu has to make the effort and that someone isn't as concerned about posting anything more than his shooting numbers. 

FWIW, I don't find MaxPreps overly helpful in gathering player stats.  As ap2345 noted, it's up to someone at the school to get the data to MaxPreps and most just don't seem to want to make the effort.  But, we have our ways (in my Col. Klink voice). Through 9 games this season, Brooks averaging 23.7ppg on 40% FG; only 22% on 3's; 75% FT.  Through 6 games, he's averaging 9.5 rebounds/game.

And don't ask because I have no idea why the data for all categories isn't for the same 9 games, but probably like MaxPreps someone at LaLu has to make the effort and that someone isn't as concerned about posting anything more than his shooting numbers. 

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AcceptableGoodnaturedJavalina-max-1mb.gif

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

La Lumiere ran its record to 16-0 with a 64-51 win over Montverde Academy.   It was far from an artistic game and there were plenty of Devonte Green style TO's and shots taken by both teams.  I don't know how accurate my scorecard is, but if I find other stats later, I'll post them as an edit to this post.

I only had Brooks with 9 points on 3-9 FG; 1-5 on 3's; 2-2 FT; 2 reb; 7 TO; 3 stls.  Of his 7 TO's, 4 came when he attempted to drive to the basket and had the ball stripped away.  He also picked up a charging foul on another drive.  Another TO came when he was trapped at mid-court and stripped.  Although he was the player who brought the ball up the court in the 1st half (not in the 2nd), he certainly didn't demonstrate any overly solid ball handling skills.  Offensively, he ranged around the 3-point line or positioned himself at the foul line.  Only 2 of his 9 shots were close to the basket and on one, his shot hit the edge of the backboard.  Just not an impressive day for him at all IMO.

In the 3rd quarter, a LaLu player drove to the bucket and got clotheslined that would make the WWE proud.  In the ensuing dust-up between the teams, Brooks picked up a technical and went to the bench for the final 3 min. of the 3rd Q.

FYI, the Prep Circuit uses a 30 sec. shot clock and plays 8 min. quarters.  Anyone else that watched, please share your thoughts on opinions on Brooks' play.

UPDATE

DwLdqpHWoAAbLCh.jpg

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Update on Stats

8 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Through 9 games this season, Brooks averaging 23.7ppg on 40% FG; only 22% on 3's; 75% FT. 

Through 6 games, he's averaging 9.5 rebounds/game.

Thanks for the info!

I like what I see from a statistical standpoint for the most part. The FG% is lower than I anticipated for a player with his ranking but the numbers are basically identical to Langford’s stats at IU to this point. Still, I’d like to see higher at the HS level.

Would you say the percentages are a good indicator of his shooting abilities or are they more a product of shot selection/volume shooting?

20 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Thanks for the info!

I like what I see from a statistical standpoint for the most part. The FG% is lower than I anticipated for a player with his ranking but the numbers are basically identical to Langford’s stats at IU to this point. Still, I’d like to see higher at the HS level.

Would you say the percentages are a good indicator of his shooting abilities or are they more a product of shot selection/volume shooting?

Level of competition. Against regular HS teams would probably be higher.

41 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Thanks for the info!

Moye has the right answer.  Level of competition he faces in virtually every game on the Prep Circuit is much higher than the talent level of most high schools.   I really can't comment on his shooting abilities.  I watched 2 games last season and the one today and just wasn't impressed by any of them but that's an awfully small sample.  

Yeah, same. The games I’ve seen live he hasn’t dominated or even looked great per se.

The talent is undeniable though. His length, dribbling for his size, ability to score on all 3 levels. He seems to force it in the games I was and becomes a volume shooter.

One of the positives is if he is the “volume shooter” on the #1 high school team in the country, that in itself tells you a lot. His teammates and coach allow him to be the guy. And they are winning.

He’s not a pure shooter but he is definitely a scorer.

We can all stay excited about him because his upside is tremendous.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Level of competition. Against regular HS teams would probably be higher.

Ahh ok. I tracked down his EYBL numbers and noticed a significant difference in his 3 pt percentage. Through 19 games on the Nike circuit, he was a 35% shooter on 53 attempts from behind the arc. Better competition can obviously affect production, but I don’t see it accounting for a 13% drop. That variance makes me think that he can become a capable shooter, and may just need to some time with a shooting coach to address inconsistencies with his shot. 

Sometimes it's hard to get stats when a Prep Circuit team plays a local high school team which is the case tonight with La Lumiere taking on Michigan City so I'll give you what I can and hopefully there will be more I can add later.  At the end of the 3rd Q LaLu leading 61-29.  Brooks had 13 pts. in the quarter and 25 for the game and probably not going to see much more action tonight.  Izzo in the house.

UPDATE:  Final score 81 - 50; Brooks was done for the night with his 25 pts.  Full game story at:

https://www.heraldargus.com/sports/lalu-puts-on-a-show/article_ffc0d8a5-c975-59b8-8fd1-3ab1bab47e39.html

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Game Update

Izzo wasn’t going down with a fight. He has been recruiting him since the 8th grade. Throw in jaren Jackson dad is an assistant coach at LaLu and Sparty is still in the running for Stewart that makes Sparty a threat. We should know in a couple of weeks

1 hour ago, Kepner said:

Hearing that Stewart is really pushing Brooks about Michigan St. Seems to be closer to 50/50 now between IU and Michigan St

Why would Stewart be pushing Brooks to a school he hasn't committed to?  Not trying to question your source, but I'm skeptical.

Also Washington has picked up a ton of crystal balls for Stewart lately with MSU now in third.

And this article from two days ago casts a little more doubt on that statement:

"While Brooks and Stewart do have a few common schools on their lists, such as Kentucky and Michigan State, they don't necessarily talk about going to the same college."

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-teammates-Isaiah-Stewart-and-Keion-Brooks-are-helping-each-other-as-they-come-down-the-stretch-and-make-their-college-decisions-127582681/

1 hour ago, Kepner said:

Hearing that Stewart is really pushing Brooks about Michigan St. Seems to be closer to 50/50 now between IU and Michigan St

Corey Evans just said the other day that:

Stewart is expected to make a commitment before February rolls around. This is more of a three-horse battle between Duke, Kentucky and Washington. 

No mention of MSU - I suppose things could always change tho

I also find it weird that Archie hasn’t been to a game of his in awhile that I know of

Last year was the same with Romeo at this timeframe. Archie then went to his tournament games. He only has a limited amount of games he can go to. He seems to go early and later. He doesn’t seem to do a ton of recruiting during the season outside of holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app