Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

On UCLA “it’s the biggest stage if your perform well there you can really make something for yourself”

That’s clearly Alford’s sales pitch and it’s completely false. LA is the biggest stage sure. UCLA is.... well it was. And it hasn’t been for a while - certainly not under Alford.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Biggest stage my rear! Maybe 40 yrs ago. You've got double digit proffesional sports programs along with about 10 college programs within a 40 mile area. Unless you are a diehard UCLA basketball fan, you have sooo many other things to spend your money on and weather that allows for so many other activities.

On UCLA “it’s the biggest stage if your perform well there you can really make something for yourself”

That’s clearly Alford’s sales pitch and it’s completely false. LA is the biggest stage sure. UCLA is.... well it was. And it hasn’t been for a while - certainly not under Alford.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think they averaged a little over 8,000 people per game last year. Pauley Pavilion holds around 14,000. They year they had Ball brought their highest attendance total in 19 years and that was around 10,000 people. Last year Wilkes got to play on the big stage in a gym that was only 60% full all year. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

UCLA is still a blueblood with 11 NC’s with their last one almost a decade after ours. Granted, they cheated to win it just like with all of Woodens teams. I could understand the lure of Westwood and many Hoosiers have played there. When IU has been good we haven’t lost any top IN players that I can remember.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ZAGSBLOG -

Keion Brooks, the 6-foot-8 wing out of La Lumiere (IN) and the Indy Heat, has set two more official visits to Kentucky (Oct. 20) and North Carolina (Nov. 2) and provided an update on his recent visits to Indiana and UCLA.

Brooks sat down with Krysten Peek of Rivals.com for an interview at the USA Basketball mini-camp in Colorado Springs, Col.  He is down to a final six of UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan State and Purdue.  Brooks, who averaged 21.5 points and 7.0 rebounds this summer on the Nike EYBL circuit, visited UCLA in late August with teammate Trayce Jackson-Davis.  “That trip was great,” Brooks said.  “First of all, you can’t beat L.A. in this weather.  And then secondly, the thing I really got out of it was coach [Steve] Alford.  I really realize he’s a players’ coach.  He tries to caters things to where his players are most comfortable.  ”Brooks roomed at UCLA with point guard Tyger Campbell, a fellow La Lumiere alum.  “Tyger’s talking about how he loves coach Alford and his teammates,” he said.  “What I got from the team is they’re all very close.  He just likes the atmosphere out there in L.A.  It’s the biggest stage.  If you really go out there and perform, you can really make something of yourself. 

”Brooks took an official to home-state Indiana the weekend of Sept. 28.  Asked about possibly joining Jackson-Davis in a package deal, he said:  "It’s a possibility, we don’t really talk about it in-depth.  We just kind of leave each other alone when it comes to that.  We just take it day-by-day, and if that’s what God has in the cards for us, then it’s something we would love to do.  ”As for the atmosphere at Indiana, he said, “The atmosphere was crazy.  It was kind of humbling….That was something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.”  Indiana assistant Ed Schilling coached Brooks’ father at Wright State, so he talked about their “prior relationship.”  “When he came to Indiana, he’s been going really hard and really strong,” he said.  “And also coach [Archie] Miller, he’s been recruiting me, recruiting my family, my older brother, my two younger brothers as well… They’re taking the time to do that, I think that’s a really good thing about Indiana.”

As for Kentucky, coach John Calipari met with Brooks in September.  “I love coach Cal,” he said.  “He’s a great businessman, and he really cares about his players as well.  He feels  if I go there, he would take very good care of me.  He’s going to help me reach my dreams and my goals.  His pitch is really just come somewhere where we can push you every day to be excellent on and off the court, and help me reach my goal of being an NBA player.” 

In terms of Michigan State, Brooks said he’s talked with teammate Isaiah Stewart, Jackson-Davis and commit Rocket Watts about the Spartans.  “All three of those guys, I like them a lot,” Brooks said.  “I would love to play with them all.  I just have to see how that unfolds.”

Old Fart personal comment -  Didn't really gush over Sparty which seemed a little surprising to me.

Here's the source video for that interview. A little bit better than what made it to Zagsblog posted by our flatulent geriatric friend. Keion is pretty smooth in these interviews. It's no surprise he can rattle off nice things to say about each coach. My new nickname for him is Keion 3000. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/usab-five-star-forward-keion-brooks-breaks-down-his-final-6

4 hours ago, Stromboli said:

My new nickname for him is Keion 3000.

I really loved Cherry 2000. I'd buy one in a New York minute. Can't let her get exposed to water, but I think I could handle that. A Keion 3000 might be useful too, if one is into that sort of thing.

29 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I really loved Cherry 2000. I'd buy one in a New York minute. Can't let her get exposed to water, but I think I could handle that. A Keion 3000 might be useful too, if one is into that sort of thing.

Andre 3000. He sounds like Andre 3000. Yikes.

Just curious - how does him not committing during the MSU official differ from nit committing during the IU official.

Brooks hasn’t set up an official date for MSU yet He has scheduled a Kentucky and North Carolina date but not MSU. The last official will either be MSU or Purdue

Brooks hasn’t set up an official date for MSU yet He has scheduled a Kentucky and North Carolina date but not MSU. The last official will either be MSU or Purdue

Let’s hope it’s more of an ‘IF he takes his last official visit’