Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

59 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Kentucky has picked up a couple crystal balls over the last few days.

So the CatsPause guy picks Kentucky (always does) and then a guy that is new piggybacks.  As much as I feel it will be UK in the end I put little faith in the crystal ball for this one.  I also feel UNC will be a player in the end as well.  Not IU for me on him.

While I prefer instate talent when we can get it, I also understand that not all instate talent is equal. Fit is more important than location. The players already on the roster will impact whether or not a kid wants to play at IU. Like it or not, and I mostly don't, it's a national game now and the state school isn't always the most appealing. I love that CAM is committed to looking close to home first, but "locking down the state" is an unrealistic fantasy.

10 hours ago, cthomas said:

While I prefer instate talent when we can get it, I also understand that not all instate talent is equal. Fit is more important than location. The players already on the roster will impact whether or not a kid wants to play at IU. Like it or not, and I mostly don't, it's a national game now and the state school isn't always the most appealing. I love that CAM is committed to looking close to home first, but "locking down the state" is an unrealistic fantasy.

Yes, Archie is trying to build a team not just collecting talent and thanks to the way he has built things so far Brooks is a luxury(though one I would definitely prefer to have) not a necessity. Archie will land talented players that fit, where they come from is far down the list of importance. "Locking down the state" was an unrealistic fantasy back when recruiting was mostly regional, in the current state of recruiting it borders on lunacy. I'm confident Archie will land the lion's share of those homegrown kids he prioritizes but he will certainly lose some and many more simply won't be good fits. 

10 hours ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

I understand that Archie won't always get the top Indiana talent no matter how hard he recruits them, but losing in-state kids to Kentucky would be very disappointing.

I would much rather lose them to schools like Kentucky or Duke. We're just not on that level yet, so if a kid picks them then we know why.. What really sucks is when we lose them to schools at our level or below. That's when I start wondering what's wrong with IU.

Paul Scruggs to Xavier sucked. Kris Wilkes to UCLA sucked. Romeo to Vandy would have sucked. If Brooks goes to Kentucky it would still suck, but I wouldn't be as upset about it. 

Hey, I want to get the best Indiana high school players but sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the stateline.

1975-76 season

1976.jpg
Record: 32-0
Big Ten record, finish: 18-0, first
Coach: Bob Knight
Avg. score, all games: IU 82.13, Opponent 64.81
Postseason: Won NCAA Tournament
#
Position

Name
Hometown
Class
Height
Captain
F

Sr
6-7

G

Fr
6-3

C

Jr
6-11

G

Sr
6-3
Y
G

Sr
6-5

F

Fr
6-9

F/C

So
6-8

F

Sr
6-7
Y
G/F

So
6-3

F/C

Fr
6-9

F

Fr
6-5

G/F

Sr
6-7

G

So
6-2

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would much rather lose them to schools like Kentucky or Duke. We're just not on that level yet, so if a kid picks them then we know why.. What really sucks is when we lose them to schools at our level or below. That's when I start wondering what's wrong with IU.

Paul Scruggs to Xavier sucked. Kris Wilkes to UCLA sucked. Romeo to Vandy would have sucked. If Brooks goes to Kentucky it would still suck, but I wouldn't be as upset about it. 

But Romeo didn't go to Vandy! And Brooks not even first day as a senior. Other two were Crean's results. Big diff now I would suggest.

20 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hey, I want to get the best Indiana high school players but sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the stateline.

1975-76 season

1976.jpg
Record: 32-0
Big Ten record, finish: 18-0, first
Coach: Bob Knight
Avg. score, all games: IU 82.13, Opponent 64.81
Postseason: Won NCAA Tournament
#
Position

Name
Hometown
Class
Height
Captain
F

Sr
6-7

G

Fr
6-3

C

Jr
6-11

G

Sr
6-3
Y
G

Sr
6-5

F

Fr
6-9

F/C

So
6-8

F

Sr
6-7
Y
G/F

So
6-3

F/C

Fr
6-9

F

Fr
6-5

G/F

Sr
6-7

G

So
6-2

Knight pulled a lot of good players out of Illinois.

1 hour ago, ebridges24 said:

And he probably only did it to piss off Lou-do Henson

Man, haven't heard Lou-do in a long time!  I used to have a poster of the IU student section with someone holding a sign that said "Hey Lou Nice Hair!"

37 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Man, haven't heard Lou-do in a long time!  I used to have a poster of the IU student section with someone holding a sign that said "Hey Lou Nice Hair!"

The longtime college hoops coach's hairstyle, the "Lou 'Do," was memorialized in song during Illinois' 1989 Final Four run. Essentially, it was an ambitious comb-over that was held in place with what Henson admitted was the "ultra, ultra hold spray." The Lou 'Do was also captured in a front-page 'Wall Street Journal' illustration for an article on the dying art of the comb-over.
10 of 10 JONATHAN DANIEL/GETTY IMAGES

LOU HENSON

The longtime college hoops coach's hairstyle, the "Lou 'Do," was memorialized in song during Illinois' 1989 Final Four run. Essentially, it was an ambitious comb-over that was held in place with what Henson admitted was the "ultra, ultra hold spray." The Lou 'Do was also captured in a front-page 'Wall Street Journal' illustration for an article on the dying art of the comb-over

On 5/30/2018 at 10:02 PM, Iugradman said:

Kentucky has picked up a couple crystal balls over the last few days.

Asked to name one player who he’s been recruiting the hardest on UK’s behalf, Maxey’s exuberance took over. He named two.

Keion Brooks and Cole Anthony,” he said.

Brooks — a 6-7 small forward from Indiana — was one of the first players in the 2019 class to land a UK scholarship offer. Indiana and Michigan State have also been discussed as possible favorites in his recruitment, but UK continues to generate buzz as a potential landing spot.

Maxey and Brooks have known each other since grade school — “We’re like brothers almost,” Maxey said — and the UK commitment is a big fan of his five-star classmate. He said he sat down and watched Brooks play a full game on the Nike circuit recently.

“And he was killin’ it, of course,” Maxey said. “He was doing really good. He’s worked really hard, I can tell. And he’s trying to increase his stock. He thinks he’s better than what he’s ranked, and I feel like he is.”

Brooks smiled when approached the next day with details of that conversation. When asked who he thought Maxey said was No. 1 on his target list, Brooks shook his head.

“I know he gave you my name,” he said, correctly. “He texts me all the time. He’ll just text me randomly and say, ‘BBN’ out of nowhere. And then say nothing after that. Every time he sees me, he’ll just wink and say, ‘BBN’ or something like that. He’s been on me real hard. He’s been on me ever since he committed.”

Brooks confirmed that the two players have been competing since fifth grade, often matched up against each other at various AAU events over the years.

“Tyrese is like a brother to me,” he said. “We’ve been playing against each other for so long. Here at USA, getting a chance to play with each other now, it’s been great. He’s very outgoing. He’s easy to talk to. We always talked about recruiting before he committed, and ever since then, he’s been trying to get me to go to Big Blue Nation.”

Is it working?

“I won’t lie to you. Me and him have such a great relationship,” Brooks said. “Now that he’s committed, I’m not going to say it’s not intriguing to want to play with Tyrese in college. I have thought about it some.”

B20623868.212573397;sz=1x1;ord=1274622110;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=?

B20623868.212573397;sz=1x1;ord=1274622110;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=?