Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

Interesting news given there was some kind of disagreement last season between the Brooks family and Khaliq.  Also wonder if it will have any bearing on Brooks transferring to a prep school for his senior year which is a rumor that has bounced around.

(Fort Wayne) News-Sentinel.com has learned that Shabaz Khaliq will exit after eight seasons as head coach of the North Side boys basketball program. The news was first reported by Troy Derengowski of RadioTroy.com in Richmond.

Khaliq is expected to be named the new head boys basketball coach at Richmond High School during a school board meeting in Richmond on Wednesday. Located just less than 100 miles south of Fort Wayne via US-27, Richmond is coming off an 8-27 season. The Red Devils endured three consecutive seasons under Rick Wedlow before his resignation on March 14.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

They truly suffered

"The Red Devils endured three consecutive seasons under Rick Wedlow before his resignation on March 14."

I'm thinking it should be:

"The Red Devils endured three consecutive LOSING seasons under Rick Wedlow before his resignation on March 14."

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting news given there was some kind of disagreement last season between the Brooks family and Khaliq.  Also wonder if it will have any bearing on Brooks transferring to a prep school for his senior year which is a rumor that has bounced around.

(Fort Wayne) News-Sentinel.com has learned that Shabaz Khaliq will exit after eight seasons as head coach of the North Side boys basketball program. The news was first reported by Troy Derengowski of RadioTroy.com in Richmond.

Khaliq is expected to be named the new head boys basketball coach at Richmond High School during a school board meeting in Richmond on Wednesday. Located just less than 100 miles south of Fort Wayne via US-27, Richmond is coming off an 8-27 season. The Red Devils endured three consecutive seasons under Rick Wedlow before his resignation on March 14.

Khaliq played college ball in Richmond. Hopefully that and maybe a pay increase is the reason. Hate to think Brooks and his family have anything to do with it. I wonder if his dad will be a candidate for the Head job. He was an assistant and played at North Side. Has real coaching experience. There is a younger brother Derrion Brooks that could join North Side in a couple years, so maybe North Side would want to keep the Brooks pipeline flowing. Hopefully.    

Edited by JMett94

6 minutes ago, JMett94 said:

Khaliq played college ball in Richmond. Hopefully that and maybe a pay increase is the reason. Hate to think Brooks and his family have anything to do with it. I wonder if his dad will be a candidate for the Head job. He was an assistant and played at North Side. Has real coaching experience. There is a younger brother Derrion Brooks that could join North Side in a couple years, so maybe North Side would want to keep the Brooks pipeline flowing. Hopefully.    

Would be interesting. Maybe a he goes or we go situation. 

If brooks does stay should make for a great Mr basketball race next year

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That would be fun to follow next season.  If Brooks goes the prep route I think it's pretty much Jackson-Davis vs. the field.  Regardless, hopefully both end up at IU.

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I agree the Mr Basketball race is going to be fun. I don't think Brooks will be leaving for a prep school. In an interview he gave to WANE sports, Keion said one of his goals is to win the Mr Basketball title next year. 

We haven’t seen a player like this ever at Indiana. Keion has Durant like qualities; similar to Magic but a better shot and hops. I don’t have a comparison unless big George and he was shorter and was more physically dominant without the handles. He needs to come on down with TJD and dominate. This talent from IN playing for IN brings true joy to my Hoosier heart. 

On 5/10/2018 at 1:09 AM, schoosier said:

We haven’t seen a player like this ever at Indiana. Keion has Durant like qualities; similar to Magic but a better shot and hops. I don’t have a comparison unless big George and he was shorter and was more physically dominant without the handles. He needs to come on down with TJD and dominate. This talent from IN playing for IN brings true joy to my Hoosier heart. 

I like Keion and think he’s going to do really well but these comparisons are WAYYYYYY off. He’s not anything like Durant or Magic. Durant is 7’ tall and has always shot the 3 well. Not just for 1 weekend. He doesn’t handle and pass as well as most point guards, let alone Magic. Can he move the ball from end to end in transition? Yes. Can he create the same type of separation in half court iso situations like Durant? Not even close. My comparison for Keion as a frosh would be closer to a junior Troy Williams. Not saying he’s the same player but he’s a hell of a lot closer to him than the guys you suggested. I’m not sure if you watch Keion a lot but I do. I watched Romeo Langford utterly dismantle him. He was completely dominated in that game. He couldn’t get ANYTHING other than garbage/scraps. His offensive game needs polishing. He’s getting by on quite a bit of athleticism at the moment. Huge upside but I need to see consistency before I start believing he’s a lottery talent. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I like Keion and think he’s going to do really well but these comparisons are WAYYYYYY off. He’s not anything like Durant or Magic. Durant is 7’ tall and has always shot the 3 well. Not just for 1 weekend. He doesn’t handle and pass as well as most point guards, let alone Magic. Can he move the ball from end to end in transition? Yes. Can he create the same type of separation in half court iso situations like Durant? Not even close. My comparison for Keion as a frosh would be closer to a junior Troy Williams. Not saying he’s the same player but he’s a hell of a lot closer to him than the guys you suggested. I’m not sure if you watch Keion a lot but I do. I watched Romeo Langford utterly dismantle him. He was completely dominated in that game. He couldn’t get ANYTHING other than garbage/scraps. His offensive game needs polishing. He’s getting by on quite a bit of athleticism at the moment. Huge upside but I need to see consistency before I start believing he’s a lottery talent. 

I appreciate your reply but the Williams comparison is WAYYYYYY off as you think my Durant comparison. I have only seen videos of Brooks noted but he shows great court vision and is a good passer. He also showed range and fast break handles. I can’t remember seeing Troy ever pass, was a horrible shot and always dribbled into a turnover. Can you think of any other Indiana former players similar to Brooks skill set other than Williams? I can’t.

46 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I appreciate your reply but the Williams comparison is WAYYYYYY off as you think my Durant comparison. I have only seen videos of Brooks noted but he shows great court vision and is a good passer. He also showed range and fast break handles. I can’t remember seeing Troy ever pass, was a horrible shot and always dribbled into a turnover. Can you think of any other Indiana former players similar to Brooks skill set other than Williams? I can’t.

What I’m saying is that Brooks is closer to Williams than Durant. Williams was actually a good passer. 3.1 assists per 40. And yes he was turnover prone but who wasn’t in Tom Crean’s system? Durant is a once in a lifetime player. Never been a player like him in the game of basketball. Keion shows range but is inconsistent....kind of like....Troy Williams. Similar height, build, athletic ability. Both could handle the ball as a forward and rebound well. Watch a full game of Keion. Troy Williams looks like a world beater from his highlights too. What I’m ultimately getting at is that if you are expecting Keion to come in and have a Durant or Magic like impact, I’m afraid you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. I’d say we’ve had a much better version of Keion in Alan Henderson.  I love Keion and really want him in candy stripes but he’s not a program changing guy like Durant, Magic, or even Romeo Langford.  He’s the kind of guy that can be a big piece on a contender but he’s gonna need plenty of horses to run with. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

What I’m saying is that Brooks is closer to Williams than Durant. Williams was actually a good passer. 3.1 assists per 40. And yes he was turnover prone but who wasn’t in Tom Crean’s system? Durant is a once in a lifetime player. Never been a player like him in the game of basketball. Keion shows range but is inconsistent....kind of like....Troy Williams. Similar height, build, athletic ability. Both could handle the ball as a forward and rebound well. Watch a full game of Keion. Troy Williams looks like a world beater from his highlights too. What I’m ultimately getting at is that if you are expecting Keion to come in and have a Durant or Magic like impact, I’m afraid you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. I’d say we’ve had a much better version of Keion in Alan Henderson.  I love Keion and really want him in candy stripes but he’s not a program changing guy like Durant, Magic, or even Romeo Langford.  He’s the kind of guy that can be a big piece on a contender but he’s gonna need plenty of horses to run with. 

I think you’re being fair and obviously have seen him more than I have. Brooks size, skill set, and athleticism are game changers at his age and development. I think we get him if we wait out the recruitment.

14 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

I'm not sure where the Alan Henderson comparisons are coming from? Henderson attempted a total of 26 3's over 4 years. If KB gets PT he'll eclipse that 20 games in.

5 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I'm not sure where the Alan Henderson comparisons are coming from? Henderson attempted a total of 26 3's over 4 years. If KB gets PT he'll eclipse that 20 games in.

Would Rick Calloway be a better comparison? 

7 minutes ago, muckraker said:

Would Rick Calloway be a better comparison? 

He didn’t play with the ball in his hands. Ricky was more of a slasher and had a good mid range game. Comparisons are hard to come by for Brooks; at least since my memory dating to 1975-76 teams.

I was all in with ya until the Henderson comparison

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app