Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SF Keion Brooks Jr. to Kentucky

Indiana Underclassmen To Watch: Keion Brooks

Jordan Wells | Staff Writer

Despite just entering his sophomore year of high school, Fort Wayne (Ind.) North Side standout Keion Brooks might already have a solid grasp on the concept of what it takes to be great.

His high school coach, Shabaz Khaliq - who has served as head man at North Side for six seasons - explains the four-star forward already works hard at handling his business both on and off the court.

“He is far and away the best that I’ve had personally,” Khaliq said. “Obviously his talent stands out, but there are a lot of factors in that.

“His basketball IQ and his understanding of the game, his work ethic and his desire to be better than what he is. He has an approach to getting better. Then he’s good in the classroom to make sure nothing interferes with his success.

"

Since it's so early in the class of 2019 evaluations, Rivals.com has only ranked 50 prospects nationally in that cycle.

Brooks made that initial cutoff, however, checking in with a four-star rating as the No. 29 overall recruit in the country. He just misses the cutoff to be an early five-star with only 17 prospects receiving that distinction at this stage.

“He’s very versatile," Khaliq said. "He’s a kid that can stretch the defense with his size.

"He’s getting more athletic. He’s playing way above the rim right now, which is something last year where he was athletic, but not as aggressive in terms of utilizing that. He can shoot the ball for his size out to 22 or 23 feet, and now he’s gotten so much better at putting the ball on the floor and make the right decision.

"Last year he’d make some freshmen mistakes, maybe take an extra dribble when he didn’t need it or turn the ball over in situations where he wasn’t accustomed to the defense shifting as quickly. Going into his sophomore season, though, those mistakes have gone away and he’s perfecting his game, in terms of eliminating the things he knew last year were a problem.”

As just a sophomore, there's obviously still areas Brooks will have to keep growing in. One of those focal points will be a continual effort in the weight room.

“Strength is a primary concern for him," Khaliq said. "He’s obviously not a big kid in terms of girth.

"Foot speed, especially laterally and being able to move defensively and guard on the perimeter is another important for him. Understanding defensively where he needs to be on the floor in terms of positioning, that’s something he’s going to focus on this year.”

With recruiting, early offers for Brooks include Purdue, Xavier and Kansas State, with Michigan State looming as a potential scholarship soon.

Indiana head coach Tom Crean has also been by for an open gym.

“It’s extremely early but two schools that have been on him early are Purdue and Michigan State,” Khaliq said. “They’ve done a tremendous job getting on him early and getting a foot in the door.

“Coach [Matt] Painter has been very hands on with him coming to workouts and they’ve invited him up to campus every opportunity they can. Coach Dane Fife [Michigan State] has made him a priority at Michigan State in the 2019 class and they’ve made that known to him."

In-state fans wanting to check out Brooks this winter will have plenty of opportunities. Fort Wayne North Side has a loaded schedule, including tilts against Indianapolis Lawrence North (Rivals150 junior Kevin Easley Jr.) on Dec. 10 in a tournament at Southport, Indianapolis Tindley School (Rivals150 junior Eric Hunter Jr.) on Dec. 23 and South Bend Riley (Rivals150 junior Damezi Anderson) on Feb. 11.

“We’ve been invited to various shootouts and we like never say no,” Khaliq said. “We like to challenge ourselves and see how we stack up with everyone else.”

Brooks averaged over 17 points and six rebounds per game for North Side as a freshman last year.

So when you look at the complete package, he is far and away the best I’ve had a chance to be around.”

From the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel

Everyone knew that the North Side boys would be good this year, but nobody knew how much they would change before their win over Indianapolis' Arsenal Tech on Saturday. Sophomore Keion Brooks Jr., who averaged over 18 points as a freshman despite often looking reserved and learning the pace of the game, showed a significant jump in his game for his sophomore debut. He made 8-of-9 second half shots and ended with a game high 32 points. But Brooks' biggest growth showed on the defensive end, recording many early steals and finishing with five blocks, including some emphatic ones that bounced the ball off of the backboard.

"His aggressiveness is huge for us. The fact that he is attacking more, not settling and hitting the offensive glass is a large plus. If he does that consistently that's going to be a huge bonus," said North Side coach Shabaz Khaliq.

North Side 86, South Side 70:  Keion Brooks Jr. played just in the second half, but scored a team high 17 points at the Legends topped rival South Side. Brooks Jr., was assessed a technical foul in a win last Saturday against Indianapolis Cathedral and had to miss the opening half of Friday’s game. 

North Side 86, South Side 70:  Keion Brooks Jr. played just in the second half, but scored a team high 17 points at the Legends topped rival South Side. Brooks Jr., was assessed a technical foul in a win last Saturday against Indianapolis Cathedral and had to miss the opening half of Friday’s game. 

That's a heckuva half.

I don't remember a tech causing a player to miss the first half of the net game. Is that after each T or after you accumulate a certain number?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, hsrtxp said:

That's a heckuva half.

I don't remember a tech causing a player to miss the first half of the net game. Is that after each T or after you accumulate a certain number?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Article didn't elaborate but I took it that it was a school/coach rule as a way of cracking down on on-court antics.   Our local high school coach has a similar rule but not for a full half.

In a head-to-head meeting of IU targets Keion Brooks of FW North and Kevin Easley of Lawrence North, FW North came out the winner 96-82.  Keion Brooks with 33 points; Kevin Easley with 23 points.

When Brooks was at 30 points, it was on 11 of 16 from the field.

CzXbIQaW8AA3-rB.jpg

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart

I see a Romeo type situation developing here. Kid is getting ready to explode on the national scene and we wont be a legit contender.

Agreed, but from the schools favorably described (MSU recruiting since the 7th grade, PU in hard) I would say we are already behind the 8 ball. I see MSU with the relationship he has.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app