Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Eric Hunter to Purdue

American Family Insurance ALL-USA Indy Area Boys Basketball Super Team.   First Team

The 6-3 Hunter was named the City Player of the Year and went on to lead Tindley to its first state championship in the Class A game. Hunter averaged 25.5 points and 7.2 rebounds as a junior and shot 52.7 percent from the 3-point line (79-for-150). Hunter has 1,836 career points through his junior year with a chance to finish as the leading scorer in Marion County history.

Basically says CAM reached out to his coach and will be calling him or his dad this week. Says that Indiana deserves a fresh start with him and will listen to what coach has to say. Nothing ground breaking, but nice to see coach is starting to contact some of these kids. Phinisee needs called ASAP.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Behind the Scout pay wall.  Only paying members of Scout can view.

I haven't paid a dime to scout

Four-star class of 2018 guard Eric Hunter had a solid start to the travel season with a winning effort on night one at the NY2LA Swish N Dish. Because his team won a state title, Hunter hasn’t had much rest, but he came out strong and showed his significant talent.

“It was great to win a title,” explained Hunter. “I liked the way it happened, so it was just a great moment.”

Eric Hunter
6'3" / 165 lbs
SG RANK
IN SG RANK
OFFERS
He continued, “It was a great year for me personally. All of my totals were up and my percentages were up, and also I think I made others around me better.”
Schools such as Purdue, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Nebraska, and Michigan State have been recruiting Hunter for a while, but now a few new schools have entered the mix.
“Wake Forest, Tulsa, Temple, Maryland, and now Indiana are the new schools,” said Hunter.
Indiana hadn’t shown too much interest in Hunter under Tom Crean, but now Archie Miller has made it known he intends to recruit the state hard, and Hunter appears to be one of his priorities.
“Coach Miller called my high school coach and he is supposed to call me or my dad this week,” noted Hunter.
When asked how he will approach the new interest from Indiana, he said, “I will give Indiana a fresh start. You have to give the new coach a chance to recruit you, but I also have to treat them like they are a brand new school recruiting me.”
While Indiana is just starting to recruit Hunter, Nebraska has been on him for a long time, and the Cornhuskers continue to build a solid relationship with him.
“It is a great relationship I have with Coach (Tim) Miles and Coach (Michael) Lewis,” noted Hunter. “I went down there last summer and I just liked everything about it. I just like the school and how I would fit in there.”
Two other schools that have recruited Hunter for a while are Big East rivals Butler and Xavier.
Hunter visited Butler numerous times during the year, and says the coaching staff has done a tremendous job of making him feel wanted.
“They’ve embraced me and my family with open arms,” said Hunter. “The reason I was there so much because it is 10 minutes from my house and it is a great atmosphere. So it is good to see their games and I am building a good relationship with the entire coaching staff.”
About Xavier, Hunter said, “Things are going well with them. They’d like me to play alongside guys like Paul Scruggs and Quentin Goodin, and they think I would fit in perfectly with how they like to play.”
At the moment Hunter continues to be focused on getting better while also keeping a close eye on his recruitment.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
3 CONVERSATIONS ABOUT THIS STORY
Posted on:BigRedReport.com > The Red Zone
2018 HOOPS TARGET TALKS STATE TITLE AND NEBRASKA INTERESTBrianSnowYesterday at 10:49 PM
ERIC HUNTER UPDATE
JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

An outstanding junior season for Eric Hunter that included an Indiana state championship has him squarely on the radar for new Indiana coach Archie Miller and a host of high major programs.

It was a dream junior season for 6-foot-3 combo guard Eric Hunter this year at Indianapolis Tindley. Averaging 25 points, seven boards and four assists per game, Hunter took the small school to the Class 1A title last month at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
SEE RELATED: IndyBall wrap-up report

Sunday at the IndyBall tourney at North Central High School, he was back at it, returning to play with his Team Harris club team.
He first spoke about earning that state title.
"It means a lot because we came up short the last two years, lost in the regionals both years," Hunter said. "To get through the Martinsville regional, it just meant everything to me. I felt like that was the state championship."
And averaging more than 25 a game?
"I scored more. I was a lot more aggressive than I have been the past two years. My leadership role -- I think that played a big part," Hunter said.
We caught Hunter twice on Sunday. First it was in a tough semifinal match-up against a Team Blaze Select team that included four-star junior Musa Jallow of Bloomington North. Hunter had 23 points to lead Team Harris to a 82-69 win.
That set up a final against Indiana Elite 2018, and a long awaited match-up against Robert Phinisee, a point guard ranked No. 61 in the latest Scout100.
Hunter checks in right now at No. 85.
"We haven't played each other in an AAU game before, so it will be fun," Hunter said before the game.
Round one went to Phinisee and Indiana Elite by a 84-71 score. Phinisee had 21 and Hunter finished with 11 points.
"We're a talented group," Hunter said. "The offense is going to come since we're talented. Defense is the biggest thing for us."
They'll get the chance to show progress at the defensive end with a trip to Dallas for the first spring evaluation weekend at the adidas Gauntlet event (April 21-23). It's the first of two weekends in April where college coaches sit courtside to watch prospects compete.
"I am looking forward to it," Hunter said. "Getting new schools involved, keep the interest of the same schools. It will be fun."
He has some key goals in mind.
"To show that I've gotten better," Hunter said. "Show my point guard abilities, pass the ball and get guys open."
Hunter's list of high major offers has expanded to include Purdue, Butler, Xavier, Nebraska and Minnesota.
New interest continues to build.
"Recent we've had Maryland, Temple, Wake Forest, Michigan is still involved and some other schools I can't think of right now," Hunter said.
The prior Indiana staff had shown some late interest but had not offered. Former head coach Tom Crean did show up at his Martinsville regional.
New coach Archie Miller, however, has been in steady contact.
"We've talked a couple times and he's actually been texting me every other day," Hunter said. "He called me last Monday and was talking about how it is a new brand, a new coaching staff that is going to recruit and stay on me."
One thing stood out to Hunter in the call.
"That he said he would be the one recruiting me," Hunter said. "Mostly it is assistants and you barely talk to the head coach but he said he would be the one recruiting me."
Mike Pegram

I like Hunter a lot and love the emphasis put on these guards. Phinisee, Hunter & Garland seem like our main targets at the point even tho Hunter is classified as a 2. I would love some sort of combo of two of those kids and Garland being the priority, but I love Phinisee's game so wouldn't be upset if we got him first. Still think Garland would come regardless.

The wings and bigs are the area I would like to see pick up some heat. Musa Jallow and Romeo seem like the few wings we are going after. Romeo is option 1A, 1B and 1C.

I expect more of a national reach to start happening during summer. Right now the smart move is to prioritize the in state kids and try to get one or two to pop, then go for the rest.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Work it CAM!
@KyleNeddenriep: Indiana coach Archie Miller will be in to see Tindley guard Eric Hunter (2018) on Monday. Notre Dame will be in to see him on Wednesday.

I really like Hunter from the couple games I have watched of his. My only concern with him was playing class A competition. I'm hoping he is at the aau event in Indy this year because I'm thinking of going. I would like to see him play against other D1 players

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow. Just goes to show they had no recruiting plan. Obvious how that would turn players off.

The 8 million offers were pretty obvious indicators of the "wishy-washy" nature of the staff.

Sounds like an unorganized mess.