Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

2017 IUBB recruiting

That league has been trash forever but the $EC is building though. They've made some good coaching hires and it appears some schools thought it would be good to throw money at recruits, err the basketball program, to see if they could get something out if it.

Auburn has been trash, forever, and now they're landing top end talent. There are a few others putting things together in recruiting too.

Well, I think it's  safe to say that if Calipari has just an average team (Average for Kentucky), Crean has got the advantage against him. Cal goes after playmakers, smooth, smart players, and the guys that will get into the NBA the easiest. Crean goes after solid shooters, quick players who have chemistry with teammates and players who have the intangibles that he specifically can coach THROUGH HIS SYSTEM. What I am saying I that the recruiting strategies can speak for itself on the court, in many instances. Not just talent.. Cal has a weak underbelly and Coach Crean sees it like a blinding target.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Always good writing from Hutch.  His latest on 2017 scholarships from the Anderson Herald-Bulletin.

Crunching Indiana basketball's scholarship numbers for the class of 2017

2017 Scholarship Numbers

Will be interesting to see what happens with Hartman

Will be interesting to see what happens with Hartman

Interested as well. Does he possibly stay a 5th year. Has any Crean players been on the roster for 5 years? You can't teach experience and leadership. Hartman is the gorilla glue for this team. Hopefully, his leadership and voice will be head from the bench all season.

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Interested as well. Does he possibly stay a 5th year. Has any Crean players been on the roster for 5 years? You can't teach experience and leadership. Hartman is the gorilla glue for this team. Hopefully, his leadership and voice will be head from the bench all season.

Agree with you on Hartman. This might not be the right thread, but Hartman's loss could be huge. IMO it could go one of two ways, 1) his loss of leadership, spacing, BBall IQ, etc. is too much for this team to overcome, or 2) It opens up even more time for OG and OG just explodes onto the scene VO-style and we don't miss a beat. 

If #1 is the case, I kind of liken it to the Warriors last year in the Finals. IMO that Finals series completely changed when Bogut went down. He was so crucial to the Warriors spacing, passing and ball movement, as well as their rim protection. Colin has that kind of "immeasurable" impact. He always in the right spot, always plays hard, and is a floor spacer. What he does doesn't show up in the box score, but it's critical. 

Nothing against Anthony Mack but he is another 3 star kid we are after. Is that where we are at right now.? We win another big ten championship and continue to offer anybody and everybody. Justin Smith looks to be solid get, but the rest of our class is mediocre at best, atleast on paper. Wilkes would certainly help.... Where is Scholly room for all these guys if the 3 star kids continue to committ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

Nothing against Anthony Mack but he is another 3 star kid we are after. Is that where we are at right now.? We win another big ten championship and continue to offer anybody and everybody. Justin Smith looks to be solid get, but the rest of our class is mediocre at best, atleast on paper. Wilkes would certainly help.... Where is Scholly room for all these guys if the 3 star kids continue to committ?

I'm not sure whether we're in any real stage of pursuit for Anthony Mack

I can't help but to think.. the last time we had a strong, small forward as the only senior, 

You guys know who I am talking about. Same caliber recruit out of HS and a player all about intangibles. We had a great PG/C and an experienced couple of players, but it ended quite sourly. Here's to hope. I'm 100 percent confident in this team. Just weary...

and superstitious..

On 10/6/2016 at 8:20 AM, Bowhunter said:

Give me Hartman for another year and cut loose dead wait that will never get off the bench.

If this happens I feel like if Wilkes comes here there won't be a drop off from team to team. Newkirk, RoJo(possibly JBJ), Wilkes, Hartman, DD. Cujo, Green, J Mo, Moore who isn't getting enough credit yes he's a 3 star but a lot of guys have said he has serious potential, & Smith is a very solid team!! There isn't including the possible Waters addition. This program is definitely going in the right direction. The bad news for most not myself is Crean will be here for awhile. I love the idea, but of course the product on the court has to meet expectations. When Crean has his back against a wall is when he responds best. When his job is safe its a mystery I will say, but I don't think there is someone better out there that would take the job either. IDC if he has had a cpl misses every big program does, but they turn two guys from not being ranked to a #2 pick & another a potential lottery guy. Not including all the guys that he put in the league at Marquette that weren't highly recruited. James, Matthews, Novak, Wade obviously, Diener and I'm sure there are a few more. Let's trust him instead of bashing him that he's getting 3 star recruits.

If this happens I feel like if Wilkes comes here there won't be a drop off from team to team. Newkirk, RoJo(possibly JBJ), Wilkes, Hartman, DD. Cujo, Green, J Mo, Moore who isn't getting enough credit yes he's a 3 star but a lot of guys have said he has serious potential, & Smith is a very solid team!! There isn't including the possible Waters addition. This program is definitely going in the right direction. The bad news for most not myself is Crean will be here for awhile. I love the idea, but of course the product on the court has to meet expectations. When Crean has his back against a wall is when he responds best. When his job is safe its a mystery I will say, but I don't think there is someone better out there that would take the job either. IDC if he has had a cpl misses every big program does, but they turn two guys from not being ranked to a #2 pick & another a potential lottery guy. Not including all the guys that he put in the league at Marquette that weren't highly recruited. James, Matthews, Novak, Wade obviously, Diener and I'm sure there are a few more. Let's trust him instead of bashing him that he's getting 3 star recruits.

Why can't I see your posts without quoting?! Is this still being worked on?

I agree, landing Wilkes should add enough to keep the 2017-208 team on a similar level of talent as 2016-2017. However, depending on who leaves there could be a significant drop. This is just going by expected level of production/impact.

JBJ--CuJo
CuJo sees increases minutes and contributes better defensively but doesn't score as much

CuJo--Durham
Durham sees spot minutes as a freshman

Hartman--Smith
Lose leadership with Hartman gone but gain athleticism and defense with Smith

OG--Wilkes
Lose a great all around talent and replace with talent

Bryant--Davis
Lose a post presence in Bryant that looks to dominate the B1G and replace with a serviceable big

Davis--Moore
David gets promoted to starter and Moore comes in as a stretch four

I would feel a lot more comfortable seeing another big to at least back up DD. If Crean can swoop in and land a top notch big in the spring even better.

21 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I agree, landing Wilkes should add enough to keep the 2017-208 team on a similar level of talent as 2016-2017. However, depending on who leaves there could be a significant drop. This is just going by expected level of production/impact.

JBJ--CuJo
CuJo sees increases minutes and contributes better defensively but doesn't score as much

CuJo--Durham

Hartman--Smith

OG--Wilkes

Bryant--Davis
Lose a post presence in Bryant that looks to dominate the B1G and replace with a serviceable big

Davis--Moore

I would feel a lot more comfortable seeing another big to at least back up DD. If Crean can swoop in and land a top notch big in the spring even better.

Is it cause I have android? I had this problem awhile back too and stopped posting cause I didn't want people having to go through the trouble to read my post lol, so if I can fix it someone tell me how. 

Onto what you said I completely agree that there is a lot of variables that could change for better or worse, so I'm never content and I think Crean feels the same way honestly given that his recruiting never stops. After Wilkes unless its Waters or Scruggs I'd rather not take another guard/wing and try to get an impact big like you said. Preston is really the only option unless one of the '18 kids reclass and we jump on him. Foreign kids or grad guy looks like our best options at a hidden gem as a big. I hope we stay at 4 until spring or until we find out for sure what's going on w Hartman. There is so much that could change that I don't wanna guess and look stupid, but I do believe next year CuJo & Davis will be ready to contribute major minutes. I'm very excited for both & think Green may end up being very good as well. Once the season kicks off we should have more answers on our questions. 

22 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

JBJ--CuJo

CuJo--Durham

Hartman--Smith

OG--Wilkes

Bryant--Davis

Davis--Moore

Don't forget about D Green.. I predict he will be our sleeper. I'm confident in Crean's recruits whether they're 1st in their class or 500th. There's a reason he gets paid what he does. Risks, motives, strategy placement and criteria all fall into his line of work. I want Crean to do great things and I always have.. he can recruit with the best, and knows how to develop. Let's be honest, the dude can run an offense.. grade school to NBA level. And there are shining glimpses in his tenure. Actually a lot of shine imo. He's running the program correctly and from what I know 100% clean. I'm more partial to him than a lot of fans. He's our coach, get used to it. Could be better? Eh... perhaps, but it could be so much worse.

Look, We aren't in the 80s anymore. Everything changes. Time just faded us and scorched us, but he we are Ranked in preseason year in and year out.. 

But Indiana Basketball has awakened from its slumber and Creans the alarm clock. He just needs to clap louder;) 

Is it cause I have android? I had this problem awhile back too and stopped posting cause I didn't want people having to go through the trouble to read my post lol, so if I can fix it someone tell me how. 

Onto what you said I completely agree that there is a lot of variables that could change for better or worse, so I'm never content and I think Crean feels the same way honestly given that his recruiting never stops. After Wilkes unless its Waters or Scruggs I'd rather not take another guard/wing and try to get an impact big like you said. Preston is really the only option unless one of the '18 kids reclass and we jump on him. Foreign kids or grad guy looks like our best options at a hidden gem as a big. I hope we stay at 4 until spring or until we find out for sure what's going on w Hartman. There is so much that could change that I don't wanna guess and look stupid, but I do believe next year CuJo & Davis will be ready to contribute major minutes. I'm very excited for both & think Green may end up being very good as well. Once the season kicks off we should have more answers on our questions. 

I use android and the app, and I can see every post you make. So it may be differences in the android and apple app versions.