Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Ugh. Tim Gardner. A kid who got in trouble too much for OSU and got kicked off the team who we weren't too proud to scoop up so that he can sit on the bench behind Camiel. You don't remember his name because he only got a couple snaps a game.

If we're committed to building a football tradition in line with our school's values, we can't have any more Tim Gardners. 

Ugh. Tim Gardner. A kid who got in trouble too much for OSU and got kicked off the team who we weren't too proud to scoop up so that he can sit on the bench behind Camiel. You don't remember his name because he only got a couple snaps a game.

If we're committed to building a football tradition in line with our school's values, we can't have any more Tim Gardners. 

Lol so is he not good or what? Has he gotten in trouble as a Hoosier?

Wow, how can anyone get in too much trouble at OSU? I thought anything short of murder was cool with Urban. Could you elaborate on Gardner's lengthy list of transgressions that even Meyer deemed him unfit?

Yes he did, and looked the other way both times he got into trouble there. Which is why I am really curious as to what vile things Gardner did to get booted.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was just a scapegoat so Urban could show that he wouldn't tolerate it.

Yes he did, and looked the other way both times he got into trouble there. Which is why I am really curious as to what vile things Gardner did to get booted.

The key with Urban really is that you can't do bad things and not be a star. That's why all his other players get away with things. Anyway, he got arrested for obstruction of police business right after the Bradley Roby incident and was immediately dismissed from the team while Roby and Baugh were not (nor was Hyde, that was the same weekend as his assault charges).

Never came to light what exactly he did. Obstruction can be a total crap charge or it can be wicked serious. I'm inclined to believe it was serious because Urban took a ton of heat for dismissing him and allowing everyone else to stay and you don't set yourself up for that if you aren't sure.

Uhhh got in trouble too much for OSU?? He never even got to play for OSU. He was dismissed as a freshman in the summer of 2013 while he was there for summer workouts. I think Meyer used him as an example after Carlos Hyde and Bradley Roby had just been arrested a couple of day before Gardner. Tim's charge was not nearly as bad as Hyde's or Roby's either; he was charged with obstruction of justice. Let's not judge right away and say IU "can't have any more Tim Gardners"; we all make mistakes. After his dismissal he went to a prep school for a year and then landed at IU. But to your post, I don't think Tim "got in trouble too much for OSU"...he made a mistake and he paid for it.

Uhhh got in trouble too much for OSU?? He never even got to play for OSU. He was dismissed as a freshman in the summer of 2013 while he was there for summer workouts. I think Meyer used him as an example after Carlos Hyde and Bradley Roby had just been arrested a couple of day before Gardner. Tim's charge was not nearly as bad as Hyde's or Roby's either; he was charged with obstruction of justice. Let's not judge right away and say IU "can't have any more Tim Gardners"; we all make mistakes. After his dismissal he went to a prep school for a year and then landed at IU. But to your post, I don't think Tim "got in trouble too much for OSU"...he made a mistake and he paid for it.

Tell me honestly, if he played for the basketball team, would you defend him and say "we all make mistakes"?

And why does whether he played or not matter? Does it change what he did? Why didn't Baugh get used as an example? His incident was the same time.

He literally got in trouble and OSU dismissed him because he got in trouble. That's too much trouble for OSU.

Edit: Oh, and a google search to see if the charges were dropped immediately reminded me that Tim was also part of the group of 9 players suspended this year at the start of the season. But, at least he learned his lesson right?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2015/09/05/nine-iu-players-suspended-football-season-opener/71780596/

Tell me honestly, if he played for the basketball team, would you defend him and say "we all make mistakes"?

And why does whether he played or not matter? Does it change what he did? Why didn't Baugh get used as an example? His incident was the same time.

He literally got in trouble and OSU dismissed him because he got in trouble. That's too much trouble for OSU.

Edit: Oh, and a google search to see if the charges were dropped immediately reminded me that Tim was also part of the group of 9 players suspended this year at the start of the season. But, at least he learned his lesson right?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2015/09/05/nine-iu-players-suspended-football-season-opener/71780596/

1. We are not talking about basketball here. Basketball players are under much higher scrutiny because of the repeated offenses.

2. When you originally said he "got in trouble too much for OSU" you implied he was continuously getting in trouble. He was there for a short period and had one offense and he paid the consequences.

3. In regards to being suspended at the beginning of the season, do we even know the reason?? It could have been (not saying it was) something as small as missing practice. It wasn't serious enough for an arrest, otherwise we would have heard about it.

It may just be my opinion but I don't see why IU should have never allowed him in the program. If he showed he learned from his mistakes at OSU and showed he matured while he attended a year at prep school; why not give him a chance? I'm guessing in your opinion, Ralph Green shouldn't even be on the team anymore? Same with Latham (well he is moving on either way)? or Isaac Griffith?

1. We are not talking about basketball here. Basketball players are under much higher scrutiny because of the repeated offenses.

2. When you originally said he "got in trouble too much for OSU" you implied he was continuously getting in trouble. He was there for a short period and had one offense and he paid the consequences.

3. In regards to being suspended at the beginning of the season, do we even know the reason?? It could have been (not saying it was) something as small as missing practice. It wasn't serious enough for an arrest, otherwise we would have heard about it.

It may just be my opinion but I don't see why IU should have never allowed him in the program. If he showed he learned from his mistakes at OSU and showed he matured while he attended a year at prep school; why not give him a chance? I'm guessing in your opinion, Ralph Green shouldn't even be on the team anymore? Same with Latham (well he is moving on either way)? or Isaac Griffith?

1. And in my initial comment I said "if we're committed to building a football tradition in line with our school's values" which means I expect the football players to be at the same level as the basketball players. As for repeated offenses, well, like I said, an arrest and then a suspension.

2. Read it how you will, I can't change what you infer from my statements. But, he did get in trouble too much for OSU, whether that's the single incident or anything else, it was too much. If we're just making up reasons for things like in number 3, then maybe he already did something wrong to justify being the only one already kicked off the team and it was never publicized.

3. So, as long as we can make up reasons for why the kids were suspended, we can just decide it's the lowest offense possible? That's convenient. No wonder the programs try and keep the reasons for suspensions secret. Everyone was so angry when it came out they were going to punish those failed drug tests internally, but why wouldn't they if they get such a massive benefit of the doubt? Smoking pot isn't serious enough for arrest, but as soon as that was leaked for Stan and Troy's suspensions there were calls to kick them off the team.

Also, he did not attend a year at a prep school. He was kicked off OSU in July 2013, committed to Indiana in December 2013, enrolled in January 2014. So, there were only 5 months between his arrest and his commitment, not a year.

Giving him a chance could be fine only because obstruction is such a varied charge. The staff knows what he did exactly and they're better able to judge whether he meets the standards of the university. Ohio State didn't think so, but maybe it really is a conspiracy against him and he's just the fall-guy for Hyde and Roby. Without releasing details about the charge (which you'd think you'd do if it were minor right?) then we look desperate and willing to compromise our values by recruiting a player who was already removed from another team after an arrest.

Then later by getting suspended, he showed he hasn't matured and should not still be on the team. Green and Griffith absolutely should have been kicked off the team on their second infraction. Latham did not have a previous arrest that I'm aware of. If Latham had been arrested before being suspended, I wouldn't want him around either. If Latham were arrested after being suspended, I'd want him gone.

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the standard for student athletes at IU, then it should be the standard across the board. Once you get arrested, you're on your last strike. Otherwise, why should we pretend to care when basketball players get in trouble but shrug it off when football players do? If Lamar Stevens is arrested this summer and kicked off PSU's basketball team before the season starts, do you want us to pick our recruitment of him back up? I mean, maybe he's matured.

Thanks for making this its own thread, I didn't think it would go on this long. I just remembered him and was wondering what ever came to fruition. Figured a 4 star OL in the hands of Coach Frey would be gold.

I knew I was taking it off the rails in the other thread and didn't want our celebratory thread about Dan staying to turn into another "our standards are too low" crank fest (even when I'm the crank).

1. And in my initial comment I said "if we're committed to building a football tradition in line with our school's values" which means I expect the football players to be at the same level as the basketball players. As for repeated offenses, well, like I said, an arrest and then a suspension.

2. Read it how you will, I can't change what you infer from my statements. But, he did get in trouble too much for OSU, whether that's the single incident or anything else, it was too much. If we're just making up reasons for things like in number 3, then maybe he already did something wrong to justify being the only one already kicked off the team and it was never publicized.

3. So, as long as we can make up reasons for why the kids were suspended, we can just decide it's the lowest offense possible? That's convenient. No wonder the programs try and keep the reasons for suspensions secret. Everyone was so angry when it came out they were going to punish those failed drug tests internally, but why wouldn't they if they get such a massive benefit of the doubt? Smoking pot isn't serious enough for arrest, but as soon as that was leaked for Stan and Troy's suspensions there were calls to kick them off the team.

Also, he did not attend a year at a prep school. He was kicked off OSU in July 2013, committed to Indiana in December 2013, enrolled in January 2014. So, there were only 5 months between his arrest and his commitment, not a year.

Giving him a chance could be fine only because obstruction is such a varied charge. The staff knows what he did exactly and they're better able to judge whether he meets the standards of the university. Ohio State didn't think so, but maybe it really is a conspiracy against him and he's just the fall-guy for Hyde and Roby. Without releasing details about the charge (which you'd think you'd do if it were minor right?) then we look desperate and willing to compromise our values by recruiting a player who was already removed from another team after an arrest.

Then later by getting suspended, he showed he hasn't matured and should not still be on the team. Green and Griffith absolutely should have been kicked off the team on their second infraction. Latham did not have a previous arrest that I'm aware of. If Latham had been arrested before being suspended, I wouldn't want him around either. If Latham were arrested after being suspended, I'd want him gone.

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the standard for student athletes at IU, then it should be the standard across the board. Once you get arrested, you're on your last strike. Otherwise, why should we pretend to care when basketball players get in trouble but shrug it off when football players do? If Lamar Stevens is arrested this summer and kicked off PSU's basketball team before the season starts, do you want us to pick our recruitment of him back up? I mean, maybe he's matured.

All I have to say is his charge at OSU was not as serious as what has happened with star players under urban currently. Let me think we have a DUI or whatever, some other driving violations..... Just on-top of some. And he did go to Milford Prep just saying so do research. He played at Milford. So check mate there and then if we are holding players accountable to all levels. Then should let yogi been let go..... (Yes this isn't football related but it is relevant to your argument). All I'm saying is why is this now just being brought up. The kid is actually a good kid and down to earth. My best friend and old teammate is best friends with him (Deandre Herron). So yeah I'm not seeing your argument here.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and all I'm saying is I see nothing wrong with allowing someone like Tim to join the program. Obviously because he has been in trouble and kicked off another program, he would be on a shorter leash than other players. But I trust the coaching staff to make the right calls when recruiting some these kids, they can judge their character a lot better than any of us that don't have face-to-face interaction with them.