Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Hoosier Transfers and Recruiting Targets

Rob Johnson's comparisons are similar to Remys. So instead of having a senior Remy we have a freshmen Remy. Same with Priller and Jurkin. We keep resetting with younger, inexperienced and body wise immature players chasing the next shiny object. Same for next year with the oversigns and still continuing to recruit. We aren't Kentucky even if coach wants us to be with 9 new players on the team. Results speak for themselves andnot sure how you can pump the sunshine on it, but many will find a way to the kool aid. Drink up.

IMO I don't think remy and Johnson have that much in common. Problem with Remy was that he couldn't shoot very well, where as Johnson can. Don't get me wrong I'd love to have his defense of enthusiasm back. I think he would have been a really good player for us the last two years.

BarrettBaller---I agree with you to an extent---but Remy was streaky and he could drain them when he was on too---and he certainly liked to slash like RoJo too.  I have not seen enough of RoJo in person yet and I know his rep is as a great shooter---but the few times I have seen him his shot was streaky too----like in Derby Classic versus Hysteria. If he gets a little more consistent--he will really be something.

He is coming in ahead of where Remy came in---but an upperclassmen Remy is similar based on what I have seen so far---I am hoping to be proven wrong! 

Rob Johnson's comparisons are similar to Remys. So instead of having a senior Remy we have a freshmen Remy. Same with Priller and Jurkin. We keep resetting with younger, inexperienced and body wise immature players chasing the next shiny object. Same for next year with the oversigns and still continuing to recruit. We aren't Kentucky even if coach wants us to be with 9 new players on the team. Results speak for themselves andnot sure how you can pump the sunshine on it, but many will find a way to the kool aid. Drink up.

You keep on drinking your own kool aid. Not sure how good you thought Remy was, but a freshman Remy is no where near the comparison of a freshman Rob, and I will confidently say that without seeing Rob play a game yet.

schoosier, what makes you think we ran those players off? Considering the turnover we had when Vic, Cody, C-Wat, Jordy, etc. all left, I find it hard to believe Remy was pushed away. As for Jurkin, he couldn't stay healthy and wasn't going to get on the floor here, so he likely made the easy decision to head elsewhere. Even if TC sat down and told him that himself, I have no issue with that. I'm not ok with running players off, and more than likely it has happened here in the past few years, but I don't think it was the case in either of these situations.

You keep on drinking your own kool aid. Not sure how good you thought Remy was, but a freshman Remy is no where near the comparison of a freshman Rob, and I will confidently say that without seeing Rob play a game yet.

Reread my comparison which wasn't what you wrote. If you're gonna reply to my post actually read it and get it right. I don't mind the disagreement with my opinion as it happens a lot.

schoosier, what makes you think we ran those players off? Considering the turnover we had when Vic, Cody, C-Wat, Jordy, etc. all left, I find it hard to believe Remy was pushed away. As for Jurkin, he couldn't stay healthy and wasn't going to get on the floor here, so he likely made the easy decision to head elsewhere. Even if TC sat down and told him that himself, I have no issue with that. I'm not ok with running players off, and more than likely it has happened here in the past few years, but I don't think it was the case in either of these situations.

Crean, Remy asked to be reinstated allegedly so to me that's proof. Roth up until school started thought he had a spot. Jurkin leaves for more playing time when he never got any before. I would be willing to bet most of these conversations were you won't get any playing time or you have been recruited over, so why stay? It should have been unless you improve on this aspect of your game, you won't get much time. Or we have recruited some really talented newcomers but you will get another opportunity to prove yourself. Nine newcomers in year 7 and only adding one burger boy just doesn't make any sense for your program. Do you not see the value in upperclassmen like your namesake?

Crean, Remy asked to be reinstated allegedly so to me that's proof. Roth up until school started thought he had a spot. Jurkin leaves for more playing time when he never got any before. I would be willing to bet most of these conversations were you won't get any playing time or you have been recruited over, so why stay? It should have been unless you improve on this aspect of your game, you won't get much time. Or we have recruited some really talented newcomers but you will get another opportunity to prove yourself. Nine newcomers in year 7 and only adding one burger boy just doesn't make any sense for your program. Do you not see the value in upperclassmen like your namesake?

Remy asked to be reinstated after his transfer paperwork had all been filed and sent to the NCAA. Then he came back and asked for his spot back AFTER all the paper work had been filed with the NCAA. So no, he was not ran off. He CHOOSE to leave. I support the kids who want to be here and play.
I also don't think there is much similarity between Remy and Rob Johnson. Rob comes in as a much higher recruit.  Rob was a high 4 star, top 50 recruit. Recruited by Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, etc. Remy was not top 100, was a 2 star on ESPN (low 3 star on one other site). Indiana and Xavier were the top schools to offer him. Recruiting wise, they don't match up. 
I personally was never truly impressed with Remy. He never seemed to step up. Yes his knowledge as an upperclassman would've helped last year. But Rob is faster, a better shooter, and a better driver in my opinion

Reread my comparison which wasn't what you wrote. If you're gonna reply to my post actually read it and get it right. I don't mind the disagreement with my opinion as it happens a lot.

You reread your comparison bc it says "instead of having a senior Remy we have a freshman Remy..."

Not sure what I had wrong here. The reason many disagree is bc you can't let anyone post something of their opinion without telling them yours, which you always seem to think is the absolute truth.

Thank you for posting this, because this is exactly how I feel. Robert Johnson is an AJ Guyton type of talent. Assuming he stays at IU for several years, he will develop into a big time player offensively. While I liked Remy a lot, and it would be cool to have a Senior guard on the team, where would he play on a team loaded with Guards? How many more wins is Remy good for on last years team? I'm honestly fine with his transfer and I'm sure he'll be a good role player for the X men and I wish him well, but I don't look back on his transfer and think about what if's.

As for people that mention Jurkin's name as if he would have given us anything, are you serious? Don't give me Peter Jurkin's name as an argument when the guy couldn't even stay healthy, and you expect him to contribute, or for Tom Crean to wait for him to get healthy? Austin Etherington, Jeremy Hollowell.... really? I'm fine with all of these transfers, and I do not consider them Force Outs or think in any way Coach Crean screwed them over.

This, is what I call realism. Thank you.

Upperclassmen would be nice, but not if it's guys that don't want to be here, or guys who wouldn't get any playing time anyways. Guys like Hollowell, good luck to whoever got stuck with him. I imagine Etherington made his own decision to leave in search of more playing time. Can't blame him there.

Upperclassmen would be nice, but not if it's guys that don't want to be here, or guys who wouldn't get any playing time anyways. Guys like Hollowell, good luck to whoever got stuck with him. I imagine Etherington made his own decision to leave in search of more playing time. Can't blame him there.

Exactly! Guys are looking for more playing time that they weren't going to get here. This whole conspiracy about Creaning is funny. Now if we want to talk about a guy who had no problem kicking multiple guys off a team, that would be Coach Knight haha

Hey now Kepner---don't use Knight's name in vain!  He did his share of "knighting" but it was also for good reason---usually for discipline problems.   But don't kid yourself---he was also very LOYAL to his players and former players.  I actually still hold out hope he shows up in some form---even if it's by video---for Guyton's induction!

Hey now Kepner---don't use Knight's name in vain! He did his share of "knighting" but it was also for good reason---usually for discipline problems. But don't kid yourself---he was also very LOYAL to his players and former players. I actually still hold out hope he shows up in some form---even if it's by video---for Guyton's induction!

Definitely loyal to his former players but same could be said with Crean. He never ceases to praise players he coached and helped.