Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

Is there a reason we aren't going after this kid harder? I don't know much about him, but he consistently puts up good stats and seems to have high major interest

Yeah I think we're just going after Jallow more, which is understandable.  I really wish we'd recruit him harder more, he definitely is high on IU.  He's visited a few times in the past couple years and is recently quoted on TOS as saying he wishes IU would target him more.

A while back I wondered if the reason high-major schools weren't offering him was because of grades, but that's certainly not the case.  He's a pretty good student, gets good grades at Riley.  It looks like the offers are starting to come in lately with UConn and Purdue pulling the trigger lately.

The 6-foot-5 wing from South Bend Riley High School and the Meanstreets AAU program was one of the top 3-point shooters on the Nike EYBL circuit.

With very nice form and rotation with a high release, Anderson’s stock has been rising. He moved up to No. 82 nationally in the 2018 Scout.com rankings and is a four-star prospect.

Indiana is among the schools that have been watching Anderson, and the Hoosiers’ interest has certainly increased.

Archie Miller and his staff watched Anderson during both spring live evaluation periods, first in Hampton, Va., and then in Westfield, Ind.

(SEE RELATED: Spring scouting video: Damezi Anderson | Inside the Locker Room: IU's team camp, new names to know in recruiting)

The communication between IU and Anderson has also increased, and Anderson plans to make an official visit to IU at some point in June.

“Michigan offered, and IU and Xavier are reaching out to me,” Anderson said of the most recently developments in his recruitment.

Anderson is just starting to learn about IU.

“I don’t know too much about it. I know the coaching staff is good. They should have a good team coming in. I’m hoping to get to know more about them,” Anderson said.

He’s been talking mainly with IU assistants to this point, and looks forward to being on campus at IU and meeting Miller.

“I want to see how he runs his program, learn about the school and meet the coaches,” he said.

Coach John Beilein made the Michigan offer.

“They’ve got a good program, a good education school. He loves shooters. That’s a good program,” Anderson said.

Anderson also is weighing wether to stay at Riley or play his senior year at La Lumiere in La Porte, Ind.

“I haven’t made a decision yet. I’m still talking with my parents about if I’m going to stay or leave. That’s the only reason I’d leave,” he said of La Lumiere. “If not, then I’m going to stay home.”

Anderson is third on the Nike EYBL circuit in made 3s with 43 in 16 games.

He’s shooting 42 percent from the arc (43-for-103), 46 percent overall (66-for-143) from the field and 83 percent (30-for-36) from the line while averaging 13.8 points for Meanstreets.

“I think I’ve shown I can get up and down the floor, play defense, be consistent with my shot and get my teammates involved,” Anderson said.

“It just gives you more competition. It motivates me,” he said of the EYBL circuit. “We go hard at each other. There are so many good players. You have to bring your ‘A’ game every game.

Jeff rabjohns article

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Anderson also is weighing wether to stay at Riley or play his senior year at La Lumiere in La Porte, Ind.

“I haven’t made a decision yet. I’m still talking with my parents about if I’m going to stay or leave. That’s the only reason I’d leave,” he said of La Lumiere. “If not, then I’m going to stay home.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There were some issues with the Riley program last winter that led to the resignation of Riley's longtime coach.  Seems the Riley principal and a Riley school board member were pressuring the coach on who should be on the roster - 1 kid in particular happened to be the son of the school board member.  The South Bend school corporation is looking into the matter but the Riley principal has already been reassigned within the corporation in a lesser capacity.  The loss of his longtime coach could be one of the factors in Anderson considering a move to LaLumiere.

Purdue, Indiana push hard for in-state standouts

by Pete DiPrimio of The News-Sentinel
Monday, June 19, 2017 04:12 pm

When it comes to his recruiting, Damezi Anderson knows what he knows.  Purdue really wants him.  Indiana really wants him.  So do Michigan, Xavier and more.

Who wouldn’t want a 6-7 forward who shoots three-pointers like a guard, who has a physique well suited to get-tough rebounding and a knack for making big plays at big moments?

For now, the South Bend Riley standout bides his time. He is a couple months away from starting his high school senior season, weeks away from the July travel-ball blitz that will provide his final to chance to make a national recruiting impression before November’s signing period.

Anderson was featured in the spring’s Nike EYBL circuit. As an Indiana Junior All-Star, he had two exhibitions against the Senior All-Stars, scoring 24 points to pace a junior win at New Albany. He averaged 24.0 points as a Riley junior.

The tougher the competition, the more he likes it.

“Better competition always motivates me,” he says. “We go hard at each other. There are a lot of good players in EYBL, a lot of good players (in the all-star exhibitions). You have to bring your A game every game.”

Purdue was the first school to recruit Anderson and the first major college program to offer a scholarship. The offer from coach Matt Painter came as the Boilers prepared to face Kansas during March’s NCAA tourney Sweet 16 round in Kansas City.

“Coach Painter sees something in me,” Anderson says. “He feels comfortable I could fit well in the program.”

Anderson briefly considered committing to Purdue as soon as the offer came, but decided to wait and see who else would offer.  There have been plenty.

Anderson says Painter “wants to get me on campus.” He added that IU coach Archie Miler “can’t wait” to get him to visit Bloomington.  Anderson said he doesn’t know much about the Hoosiers under Miller, who took the job this spring after former coach Tom Crean was fired.  “They should have a good team,” he says. “I want to know how they run their program. I hope to get to know more about them.”

Michigan, which has had success with several state-of-Indiana players, is making a big push. Coach John Beilein has taken the lead in Anderson’s recruiting.  “They have a good program,” Anderson says. “It’s a good, educational school. Coach Beilein has good shooters. It’s a good program for me.”

Four-star class of 2018 wing Damezi Anderson made an unofficial visit to Indiana today and received a scholarship offer.

The 6-foot-5 scorer from South Bend (IN) Riley High School and the Meanstreets AAU program spent time with IU coach Archie Miller and his staff, and received a scholarship offer from Miller.
“It’s a blessing to get an offer from there,” Anderson told Peegs.com. “I really enjoyed it. It’s a great coaching staff.
“It’s a whole new staff. They were amazing to me. They’re cool.”
Anderson is a four-star prospect currently ranked No. 82 nationally in the Scout.com 2018 player rankings.

Anderson received a tour of campus, including Assembly Hall, Cook Hall and other places.
“They’ve got a lot of new stuff there for academics,” Anderson said, also mentioning new things like IU revamped basketball weight room and more.
“They showed me all of that. That was amazing. There’s a lot of brand new stuff there.”
Anderson has been very productive as a shooter and scorer on the Nike EYBL circuit with the Meanstreets program.
The IU coaches discussed what they like and can do for Anderson.
“They said I can really score the ball at well and I’ve got great size,” Anderson said. “They said they can develop me and get me to the next level.
“They talked about some of the guys that got drafted and stuff like that.”
IU sophomore forward OG Anunoby and sophomore center Thomas Bryant both were NBA draft picks Thursday night.
Anderson has a number of scholarship offers, including Indiana, Michigan, Purdue, DePaul and others.
“I think Indiana is very serous. I talked to coach Miller,” Anderson said. “Michigan and Purdue and also DePaul.”
Anderson said he may also take an unofficial visit to Xavier.
He said he still plans to make official visits before making a decision, but nothing is set in that regard just yet and he doesn’t have a specific timetable for his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe good news coming, as it looks like Damezi will likely decide soon, probably by July/August.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/riley-s-anderson-looks-to-round-out-hoops-game/article_3fbb91af-7e28-525b-86a0-c50472d9e44b.html

Anderson received his first college scholarship offer – from Purdue – last year. Offers from Connecticut, DePaul and Michigan followed.

Last month, while on a visit to Bloomington, Anderson received a scholarship offer from new Indiana coach Archie Miller. That one stayed with him a little longer.

“They first liked me when Tom Crean was there,” Anderson said. “But Archie Miller sees something in me and that’s pretty cool.”