Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

SB Riley (3-0) defeated SB St. Joseph 85-67; Anderson with 23 pts.  Anyone planning on attending the event at Southport this weekend has an opportunity to watch Anderson play.   The Riley-Southport game was supposed to be the prelude to North Central-New Albany (which features Romeo Langford, considered the top junior player in Indiana, with Riley’s Anderson close behind).  However, to accommodate Indianapolis television, North Central-New Albany will be played at 2 p.m., while Riley plays Southport at 7 (not televised).

MISHAWAKA -- It was getting late in the game at Mishawaka, and the Cavemen were not going away, when Riley’s junior star, Damezi Anderson reassured his coach.

“You can trust me,” Anderson said to Riley’s Mark Johnson.

Anderson then scored 12 of his game-high 30 points in the fourth quarter, and the 11th-ranked Wildcats held off Mishawaka, 70-61 at the Cave.  He added 7 rebounds for good measure.

Man, between Anderson and Musa Jallow, we certainly have some high-scoring wing options in-state for the 2018 class.  I'd love to see either at IU, however I'm more partial to Anderson since I'm from South Bend and can't remember a player from there ever going to IU.

That'd be sweet.

10 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Man, between Anderson and Musa Jallow, we certainly have some high-scoring wing options in-state for the 2018 class.  I'd love to see either at IU, however I'm more partial to Anderson since I'm from South Bend and can't remember a player from there ever going to IU.

That'd be sweet.

You are waaaaay toooooooooo young.  John Laskowski and Tom Abernethy both from St. Joe HS are the first ones that come to my old and feeble mind.

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You are waaaaay toooooooooo young.  John Laskowski and Tom Abernethy both from St. Joe HS are the first ones that come to my old and feeble mind.

Either one along with phinisee and a 4 star big will be a solid to great class in my book. 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

No way, I had no idea guys from St. Joe HS went to IU, learn something new every day.

And yes, I'm 31 but I'm sure my parents have heard of them, my mom graduated from St. Joe in '76.  I went to Marian and then to Mishawaka.  I thought we may have had a chance at Demetrius Jackson for a while, but Yogi pretty much scared any potential PGs away for a while.

55 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

No way, I had no idea guys from St. Joe HS went to IU, learn something new every day.

And yes, I'm 31 but I'm sure my parents have heard of them, my mom graduated from St. Joe in '76.  I went to Marian and then to Mishawaka.  I thought we may have had a chance at Demetrius Jackson for a while, but Yogi pretty much scared any potential PGs away for a while.

Laskowski broke the single season South Bend scoring record (I think that's right) averaging 28.9 PPG his single season and, as I recall, Abernethy bested Laskowski the very next year.  St. Joe coach at that time was Bob Donewald who later became a Bob Knight assistant.  

Now you got me going.  Those 2 were the first 2 kids from South Bend since the 1959-60 season.  And since Laz and Aber, the only South Bender was walk-on Raphael Smith 2012-13.   But there is another very famous IU alum from South Bend -- Don Schlundt who played from 1951-55 and had an outstanding career.

Season
GP
GS
PTS
PPG
FG
FGA
FG%
3PT*
3PTA*
3PT%*
FT
FTA
FT%
RPG
APG
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
Totals
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA
NA

25 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

Those are the only 2 that I can remember. We also have not got much out of Ft Wayne throughout the years.

You definitely win a prize package because for whatever reason, we've had little success in Fort Wayne; PUke with a big edge in recruiting from that area.

Most recent was James Hardy 2004-05 who left the bball program to concentrate on football.  Before him Tracey Foster 1982-84 from Homestead HS who left after 2 seasons and transferred to UAB (I think).  John Flowers 1981-83 who either transferred on his own or was kicked off the team and ended up at UNLV.  I think academics were a part of his problem. Those are the only ones since the mid-1970's so it's definitely not a hotbed for IU.