Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

SOUTH BEND TRIBUNE - 

When asked about Riley’s mindset heading into overtime with its 12-0 record on the line against Marian, Damezi Anderson didn’t mind admitting that the No. 1-ranked (Class 4A) Wildcats were feeling some pressure.

But they weren’t about to let it faze them.

“We were a little worried,” said Anderson, “but we knew we were going to get the job done. It’s all about toughness and who wants it more.”

And in a seesaw affair in which both teams fought for every basket and loose ball, the Wildcats won a few more battles.

Riley (13-0) staved off Class 3A Marian (7-2) in overtime, 64-60, behind Anderson’s 27 points, which included four of the team's nine in the extra frame.

“Marian came out and played lights out,” said Riley head coach Eric Brand. “My hat’s off to them for how hard they played. We talked about making them make some shots, and they made them. This was a good game for us to see where we’re at and where we want to be.”

With one of their key players, Michael Hemingway, struggling with foul trouble and going scoreless in the first half for Marian, Zach Lattimer’s 18 points on 6-of-11 from 3-point range helped the Knights keep Riley within striking distance. Teammate Jaden Ivey chipped in 17 points, including 4-of-5 from deep.

Marian went into the fourth quarter with a 41-40 lead, and with Ivey scoring 10 in the period, opened up a five-point advantage, threatening to send a few shockwaves through the state.

But hustle plays from Riley’s Shamar Dillard and Rylen Grundy, who added two highlight-reel dunks in the game, kept Marian from pulling off the upset. Dillard had six of his 12 points in the fourth quarter, and Grundy scored four in the frame.

“When I see Shamar, Grundy, Jalen (Jennings), and my teammates making big plays, I know we’re all together,” remarked Anderson. “It motivates me to go even harder. When they’re making big plays, I know I have to make big plays.”

Neither team could break a 55-55 tie in the final minute of regulation, however, and Anderson’s 3-pointer at the horn missed long, sending the game to overtime.

The extra period was all Riley as clutch baskets from Anderson, Dillard and Jennings helped close out the game.

While Marian head coach Robb Berger remarked that his team wasn't satisfied with “moral victories,” there were some obvious positives.

“I was proud of how we competed,” Berger said. “That’s a good team, a well-coached team, and we went toe-to-toe with them for 36 minutes.”

This was just too funny to pass up.

Quote of the week from @46Sports (Chuck Freebie) on the Channel 46 game of the week as he called #1 SB Riley vs. Mishawaka Marian:    “Marian breaking up more passes than a Catholic school chaperone.”

Riley remains undefeated with a 63-43 win over Penn. 

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/no-riley-races-past-penn/article_dca03496-1820-5280-861a-e6f65234863f.html

Wildcat Damezi Anderson scored a team-high 13 points with eight rebounds. He’s 12 points away from surpassing the late Jimmy Webb, the former Adams High School standout who in 1973 became the all-time leading scorer in the South Bend Community School Corporation.

39 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Riley remains undefeated with a 63-43 win over Penn.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/no-riley-races-past-penn/article_dca03496-1820-5280-861a-e6f65234863f.html

Wildcat Damezi Anderson scored a team-high 13 points with eight rebounds. He’s 12 points away from surpassing the late Jimmy Webb, the former Adams High School standout who in 1973 became the all-time leading scorer in the South Bend Community School Corporation.

You're good!  You beat me by about 30 sec.   lol

13 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not scoring as much as last year but they keep winning. Seems like a team player to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I like the fact that being within a reasonable 25 points from the record, he apparently didn't force a bunch of shots in an nba-ish pursuit of the record.

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Love reading stuff like this, Thanks for posting this Usps.

23 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Ya know, i really like this kid a lot. He just seems completely genuine. He gets what’s been given to him, and he respects it. Proud to have a kid like him rep’ing our school.