Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

Just now, FortWayneHoosier said:

I just did the same, those guys are hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There are some severe cases of little brother syndrome there I tell ya! Comments on how we like to change coaches every few years and so on. Just face it Purdouche fans, you are the little brother, and there will be times that you get the best of us; however as one individual posted on there, those times are going to become limited! At least one of them has seen the light, lol.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

To me. The best teams play positionless 2-4. It's nice to have a sure handed, good vision PG to run plays and get buckets when all else fails and a BIG, big enough to guard the other team's biggest player.

I enjoy watching positionless basketball if it's done well.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Crean had the right idea of which direction modern basketball was heading but I felt that he firstly, lacked the basketball acumen to design and coach plays that fit with his vision and personnel, and secondly, I felt like he tried to use players in ways they shouldn't have been. Example 1 - The Juwan Morgan point forward experiment. Big athletic forwards that can handle the ball and make plays are a growing part of modern basketball and Juwan is a guy that can get a board and bring the ball up the court, but he just did not have the handle or decision making prowess as a passer for this to work well.

Example 2 - We all know how sometimes Crean would have his Center come up and get the ball at the top of the key for a drive to the hoop. It started with Zeller, continued with Vonleh, and again last year at times with Bryant. It was by and large a disaster last season because Bryant was no where near as quick and athletic as the aforementioned players. 

This post isn't meant to bash Crean, he recruited and developed some very talented players. But, from what I've seen Archie is doing a very good job of recruiting big, versatile wings that fit better with the direction that basketball is heading. 

1 minute ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Crean had the right idea of which direction modern basketball was heading but I felt that he firstly, lacked the basketball acumen to design and coach plays that fit with his vision and personnel, and secondly, I felt like he tried to use players in ways they shouldn't have been. Example 1 - The Juwan Morgan point forward experiment. Big athletic forwards that can handle the ball and make plays are a growing part of modern basketball and Juwan is a guy that can get a board and bring the ball up the court, but he just did not have the handle nor decision making prowess as a passer for this to work well.

Example 2 - We all know how sometimes Crean would have his Center come up and get the ball at the top of the key for a drive to the hoop. It started with Zeller, continued with Vonleh, and again last year at times with Bryant. It was by and large a disaster last because Bryant was no where near as quick and athletic as the aforementioned players. 

This post isn't meant to bash Crean, he recruited and developed some very talented players. But, from what I've seen Archie is doing a very good job of recruiting big, versatile wings that fit better with the direction that basketball is heading. 

Agree with everything you said. We'll see how Archie's execution of the same philosophy Crean employed plays out. Optimism/past performance imply it will be better. It's also reasonable to assume Archie won't try to "outsmart the room" like Crean always tried to do, as you articulated with your above examples.

I always enjoy the dramatic highs and lows on here, see recruiting and the excitement over positionless basketball quotes.

34 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Crean had the right idea of which direction modern basketball was heading but I felt that he firstly, lacked the basketball acumen to design and coach plays that fit with his vision and personnel, and secondly, I felt like he tried to use players in ways they shouldn't have been. Example 1 - The Juwan Morgan point forward experiment. Big athletic forwards that can handle the ball and make plays are a growing part of modern basketball and Juwan is a guy that can get a board and bring the ball up the court, but he just did not have the handle or decision making prowess as a passer for this to work well.

Example 2 - We all know how sometimes Crean would have his Center come up and get the ball at the top of the key for a drive to the hoop. It started with Zeller, continued with Vonleh, and again last year at times with Bryant. It was by and large a disaster last season because Bryant was no where near as quick and athletic as the aforementioned players. 

Also:

-The Troy Williams point forward experiment.

-The Jeremy Hollowell point forward experiment (shudder).

23 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Agree with everything you said. We'll see how Archie's execution of the same philosophy Crean employed plays out. Optimism/past performance imply it will be better. It's also reasonable to assume Archie won't try to "outsmart the room" like Crean always tried to do, as you articulated with your above examples.

I always enjoy the dramatic highs and lows on here, see recruiting and the excitement over positionless basketball quotes.

I don't want this thread to turn into a Crean bashing thread, but it is kind of crazy that Anderson said Crean never even sniffed in his direction. You've got a top 100 player from the state, and he would rather go out and scour small Texas towns for "hidden gems."

Can you imagine the frenzied helter-skelter recruiting TC would be carrying out right now if he was our coach and had 5 scholly's next year? He'd have 200 offers out there (but no point guard).

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Also:

-The Troy Williams point forward experiment.

-The Jeremy Hollowell point forward experiment (shudder).

Yeah, the point forward was a common trend. I think part of it was a lack of playmakers outside of Yogi, we never really had legit backup PGs. Troy has above average vision for a wing, but he was just out of control too often. 

55 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I don't want this thread to turn into a Crean bashing thread, but it is kind of crazy that Anderson said Crean never even sniffed in his direction. You've got a top 100 player from the state, and he would rather go out and scour small Texas towns for "hidden gems."

Can you imagine the frenzied helter-skelter recruiting TC would be carrying out right now if he was our coach and had 5 scholly's next year? He'd have 200 offers out there (but no point guard).

Lol I can't imagine him with five open scholarships. You and I might've ended up with offers.  

5 hours ago, bigrod said:

This is why I think in-state recruiting is gonna significantly improve. The previous three coaches didn't make this state a priority. I have complete faith in Archie

22 hours ago, reconmkd said:

There are some severe cases of little brother syndrome there I tell ya! Comments on how we like to change coaches every few years and so on. Just face it Purdouche fans, you are the little brother, and there will be times that you get the best of us; however as one individual posted on there, those times are going to become limited! At least one of them has seen the light, lol.

Maybe it was this guy:

"In my opinion that should scare the s*** out of all of us it does me I got this weird feeling we better take advantage of IU this year after it's not looking good. And that is my humble opinion before somebody attacks me."

Yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned the Purdoo boards. This is fun.

13 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Maybe it was this guy:

"In my opinion that should scare the s*** out of all of us it does me I got this weird feeling we better take advantage of IU this year after it's not looking good. And that is my humble opinion before somebody attacks me."

Yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned the Purdoo boards. This is fun.

That's the one, lmao.

My Q and A with Damezi.
What are your goals heading into your senior season?
DA: I'm just trying to get better everyday and focus on winning a state title.
What led you to commit early and to IU?
DA: Honestly, just wanted to get it outta the way to prepare for my future.
What was the first thing that stuck out about Archie and the new staff?
DA: The new staff is great. All of them. What stood out about Archie was the way he wanted to make me better for the future, it fell in line with what I saw myself.
What are your thoughts on the incoming class and the potential of others joining?
DA: Our incoming class is great. It solves a lot of pieces. I know Romeo and Darius are still possibilities and they would be the icing on the cake. 
Have you talked to either (Romeo) or (Darius)?
DA: Not yet, but I plan on texting Romeo and getting ahold of Darius.
Sounds like a good way, would be to join them at Hoosier Hysteria.
DA: Yeah that is the plan. I will be there for sure.
Any other thoughts or comments?
I really just wanna further my education and try as hard as possible to get to the league.
Last one, pregame music..what is playing in those headphones?
Future. Always.

Nothing groundbreaking I know lol, but it was nice to be the first to get the HH news out of him. Also by the sounds of it he hasn't talked to Romeo just yet like Albers said, but he plans to. Definitely waiting on HH to really get in their ear. Once again can't say enough about this kid and giving me his time being that I'm not some IU insider or recruiting guru says a lot. Said he will DM me when HH is over and give me some more insight.

So this tweet by Albers is not really true then

Indiana commit Damezi Anderson tells me he’s trying to convince Romeo Langford and Darius Garland they should join IU's 2018 class. #iubb

Hard to be recruiting them if he has not been in contact.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Indiana commit Damezi Anderson tells me he’s trying to convince Romeo Langford and Darius Garland they should join IU's 2018 class. #iubb

I definitely think Yogi should bring that up to him on Twitter.

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Albers is the guy who reported Billy Donovan took a plane to Bloomington. That's the last time I read anything of his. 

I mentioned it to him asking why it is so hard to just tell the truth. Damezi seems like a kid that would take time out to answer questions for anyone not trying to harass him honestly. Maybe I worded the question weird, but I got the impression for his direct quote he planned on waiting till HH and was gonna text him beforehand. I don't wanna start drama for Damezi because he took the time to talk to me and I look forward to future convos but I tagged Albers in a tweet which later resulted in being blocked. I don't wanna take it to far. Honestly, I didn't make an article or even share anything besides him coming to HH on twitter yet because I mainly wanted to do it for the personal experience and so you guys could get a break from Romeo and Darius lol. Albers does it for attention and often mixes words with his own and I can't nor will respect that style. These are teenagers. He gets by with his Hulls connection still, but I see his IU career over sooner than later. 

Most have. Honestly had no idea about his Damezi tweet till it was brought uo on here, because I refuse to follow him. We all saw stuff relating to IU and Billy, but his tweet really put it over the edge. Seeing how big of a name Billy is I didn't think someone would go to that trouble if they wanted any kind of professional respect, so I fell for it sadly. That was it for me though.