Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I noticed that too. I watched one possession (I know, just one) where he parked at the elbow and literally didn’t move for about 15 seconds until a rebound came right to him and then he immediately stepped back and jacked up a fadeaway 3 that didn’t draw rim. 

Not drawing any conclusions based on that, but it wasn’t good. 

And Romeo didn't appear to be playing defense today, all high school players, no matter how great they are, are not finished pieces of work, and still have much to work and improve on.

24 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

And Romeo didn't appear to be playing defense today, all high school players, no matter how great they are, are not finished pieces of work, and still have much to work and improve on.

I think Romeo’s lack of defense is getting blown out of proportion because of the last play, but that’s just me. He’s proven all year that he’s a solid defender. 

Anyway, like I said I’m not drawing conclusions on my post because I’ve read all year that Damezi plays hard. Just pointing out something I noticed. 

South Bend Riley reminds me of JBJ's  FT. Wayne Bishop Luers teams.  They would just try to out-athleticize the other team.  When they ran into a fundamentally sound team they would struggle.  Kind of what I witnessed today!  We really need some talent here!

New Albany's free throw shooting killed them today, and Romeo played horrible defense.  That dude can score at will and he is an Indiana boy, so sign me up!  He will be just fine in college.  Damezi, I'm not real sure where he will fit in here!

Just now, Ryno6284 said:

New Albany's free throw shooting killed them today, and Romeo played horrible defense.  That dude can score at will and he is an Indiana boy, so sign me up!  He will be just fine in college.  Damezi, I'm not real sure where he will fit in here!

Sorry, wrong thread!

2 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I think Damezi will benefit from collegiant strength training. I’m not expecting much from him early in his career. Should be solid as a upper classmen. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I think Damezi will benefit from collegiant strength training. I’m not expecting much from him early in his career. Should be solid as a upper classmen. 

Yeah, I'm guessing half way through sophomore year maybe?  Where we see him start to contribute like J. Smith did half way through this year.

48 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

South Bend Riley reminds me of JBJ's  FT. Wayne Bishop Luers teams.  They would just try to out-athleticize the other team.  When they ran into a fundamentally sound team they would struggle.  Kind of what I witnessed today!  We really need some talent here!

Spot on!

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A bit disconcerting as Damezi didn't have a really strong regional performance even though Riley won and today he's been almost invisible.  In his defense, Carmel pretty much did the same thing to Keion Brooks last Saturday.

Did Brooks look as bad as Damezi?

6 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Just 6 points today, would have liked to see him come up bigger today.

He'll be a good player for us in a few years, but he won't be ready next year.  He's billed as being a shooter but he doesn't seem to take great shots all the time.

I really hope we get Romeo + a grad transfer Sanford from Toledo or Taylor from Evansville.

He had at least 3 air balls that weren't even close.

Exactly what I told a friend of mine while waiting for the game. They need coached. And once they get rattled, your chance of beating them goes way up.

I would believe the talk that Damezi was ill this week. He wasn't very active at all and he was getting subbed frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Link to full game write-up from the South Bend Tribune below.

Word had it that Anderson was under the weather for the biggest game of his prep career. That he had barely practiced much of the week. But on Monday, he was on the floor and going all-out. He was fine. He was confident. That changed Saturday. He finished with six points and two rebounds. He took 13 shots and made just two. At the start of the fourth quarter, Anderson appeared to turn to Harrington Greer, who was at the scorer’s table waiting to check in, and asked Greer to come in for him.

Anderson checked out at the start of the fourth quarter, and never checked back in.

“I was just having a little pain in my stomach,” Anderson said. “No excuses. I still had to come out and play hard every possession.”

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/riley-s-state-title-chase-falls-well-short-at-semistate/article_c03742ed-0d19-5c50-87b2-93d5a313c6ff.html