Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) G/F Damezi Anderson to Detroit Mercy

Game article from South Bend Tribune -

SOUTH BEND — In the second half, it was just about all Damezi Anderson.

In the first half, it was just about all but Anderson.

And yet that didn’t matter as Riley displayed and flexed its collective strength on the way to downing Indianapolis Cathedral 71-62 on Saturday night in a showdown of Class 4A high school basketball heavyweights.

Anderson poured in 23 of his game-high 25 points after intermission as the Wildcats took a gigantic step toward potentially becoming the first South Bend school in 39 years to complete an unbeaten regular season.

No. 2-ranked Riley improved to 19-0 while dropping the No. 7 Fighting Irish to 17-3 in front of a near-capacity crowd estimated at 3,000.

Anderson labored through a 1-of-9 effort from the field in the first half, but his teammates picked him up as the Wildcats built a 33-28 lead by the break.

The Indiana University recruit then went 8-of-11 from the field over the final two quarters with four 3-pointers and 3-of-4 at the line.

Anderson also collected all five of his rebounds in the second half and finished with a game-high three blocked shots.

Western Illinois-bound Shamar Dillard scored all of his 11 points in the first half for the winners.

Gabe Johnson and Marlon Taylor added eight points apiece for the Cats, while Jalen Jennings had five points and made three steals, and Harrington Greer secured a team-high seven boards.

Rising junior Armaan Franklin paced Cathedral with 22 points.

The nephew of former Notre Dame star and current Penn State women’s coach Coquese Washington, Franklin lived parts of his childhood in South Bend and Houston before ending up in Indianapolis four years ago.

A close friend of Jennings’, he’s reportedly received recent offers from Butler, Ohio State and Xavier, and is drawing interest from Indiana, Purdue, Texas and UCLA, among others.

Senior Jarron Coleman, a Ball State signee, added 17 points for the Irish. He and Franklin each grabbed seven rebounds.

Riley led 49-48 in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, then pulled away down the stretch, stretching its advantage to as much as 11 with just under two minutes remaining.

Anderson tallied 15 points in the final quarter.

The Irish took their only lead of the second half at 44-43 late in the third period.

In the first half, the Cats’ depth proved pivotal. Riley got 12 points from its bench, with four players partaking, while Cathedral got none.

The Irish also finished the game that way, while Taylor’s eight keyed the Cats to 18 bench points.

Riley has regular-season games remaining against Adams (8-10), New Prairie (7-9) and Glenn, which was 12-5 going into a game Saturday.

If the Cats can win each, they’ll join just Adams in 1978-79 and Central in 1956-57 as South Bend schools to compile unbeaten regular seasons. Central went on to win a state title at 30-0, while Adams closed at 24-1.

Riley’s also in strong position to complete the best season in its own history. The program record for fewest losses is three, shared by the 1944-45 (28-3), 1990-91 (22-3) and 2016-17 (19-3) clubs.

Leaving no doubt on the court Saturday afternoon, the Riley Wildcats (21-0, 11-0 NIC) clinched sole possession of the Northern Indiana Conference boys basketball title by crushing New Prairie (9-10, 3-7 NIC), 78-25.

All-time city scoring leader and Indiana University-commit Demezi Anderson led all scorers with 21 points, 15 coming on three-pointers.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Leaving no doubt on the court Saturday afternoon, the Riley Wildcats (21-0, 11-0 NIC) clinched sole possession of the Northern Indiana Conference boys basketball title by crushing New Prairie (9-10, 3-7 NIC), 78-25.

All-time city scoring leader and Indiana University-commit Demezi Anderson led all scorers with 21 points, 15 coming on three-pointers.

I'm rooting for them to win the state title. 

13 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

@angdicarlowndu: FINAL: Riley 65, Glenn 49. 22-0! Congrats to Riley on the first undefeated regular season in school history. It’s the first time a South Bend City school has finished the regular season undefeated since Adams in 1979. What an accomplishment for the 7 Riley seniors.

DWxG827VQAAiHT5.jpg

Scored 20 of his 22 in second half.  

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/high_school/basketball/riley-tops-glenn-joins-unique-club/article_bcbd0974-376a-53e1-a7a8-b5c8a1faebfc.html

49 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

Watched Damezi tonight probably had around 17-19 points a lot from the line. His team won 60-47. He has a nice shot but has to let the game slow down but he’ll learn that while he ages

Me too!  Made it out to Mishawaka and watched them take on Penn.

First time I've seen him play live.  You can tell he's a good player, has some nice length, but I feel like he settled for too many jump shots.

That breakaway dunk he had was pretty nice though.  I'm really looking forward to see him develop, he'll definitely need to spend a lot of time in the gym and get some good coaching.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

Me too!  Made it out to Mishawaka and watched them take on Penn.

First time I've seen him play live.  You can tell he's a good player, has some nice length, but I feel like he settled for too many jump shots.

That breakaway dunk he had was pretty nice though.  I'm really looking forward to see him develop, he'll definitely need to spend a lot of time in the gym and get some good coaching.

I think the coach basically tells them to free style. At one time they called motion and one of the kids tried heaving it from 30 feet. In my honest opinion they won’t win state

2 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

How'd you like The Cave? That's my old stomping grounds. Oldest HS gym in Indiana still in use. Also the site of my greatest achievement, the night I held Scott Skiles to 42 pts lol. Thank goodness we didn't have the 3 pt line back then.

Love the Cave best gym in the northern part of Indiana in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, cbp4iu said:

I think the coach basically tells them to free style. At one time they called motion and one of the kids tried heaving it from 30 feet. In my honest opinion they won’t win state

Yeah I wish I was more impressed with them but I just didn't feel like I was watching the #2 team in the state tonight.  Still a good team though and I hope they do well.

18 hours ago, cbp4iu said:

Watched Damezi tonight probably had around 17-19 points a lot from the line. His team won 60-47. He has a nice shot but has to let the game slow down but he’ll learn that while he ages

Newspaper account said 16 pts.  Picky, picky, I know.  Riley scored 14 of its last 18 pts. From the foul line.

@MishawakaHSAth: Tonight is the sectional finals at Mishawaka.  Watch @RileyWildcatsBB take on @johnadamseagles tonight at the Cave. See it live at youtu.be/rRyiyDnOHu4 starting at 7:30.  @cavemensports @AndersonDamezi @insidethehall @HoosierHPodcast @RileyWildcats