Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Indiana v. Wisconsin postgame thread

Why is Hartman considered "gutsy" when all he's done this year is foul and provide no offense? He really hasn't done anything all year.

Primarily because Hartman came in a bit unheralded. Many thought he wouldn't be able to contribute at this level. Yet, despite his lack of raw athleticism, he grinds out a solid effort. Many players have greater talent and do less. Hartman takes average talent and does more.

To say RoJo doesn't look "college ready" is a bit absurd IMO. For the most part I think he lets the game come to him and doesn't force his own shot. He's looking to make the next pass to get a better shot. If he's open that's when he shoots. I like that about him. Defensively, the best perimeter defender that we have! What would he have to do for you to consider him "college ready??"

These last couple of games (esp last nite) he seemed a lil reluctant to shoot the ball. Always seemed to he was always 2nd guessing whether or not to shoot. Idk why, he's shooting 51% for deep this season

i normally have liked RoJo. Still do. But have you watched him specifically, the last 3 games? His play was been really, really bad. And yes he was the worst Hoosier on the court in that Rutgers game. His confidence is greatly shaken for whatever reason. Very timid. Playing awful. Just not himself. I don't get it. He is a good player, I expect him to find his role again, soon.

Honestly when I watch Robert Johnson play lately, all I can think of is that scene in Blue Chips when Nick Nolte is reviewing the tape of the game his star player intentionally threw, and he comes to the realization that guy was "bought."

Now I'm obviously not suggesting this is going on here, but that's how bad he has looked the last 3 games.  Dribbling off his foot, stepping out of bounds, etc.  I think he's just going through a rough patch and he'll turn it around eventually, he's too good of a player.

Honestly when I watch Robert Johnson play lately, all I can think of is that scene in Blue Chips when Nick Nolte is reviewing the tape of the game his star player intentionally threw, and he comes to the realization that guy was "bought."

Now I'm obviously not suggesting this is going on here, but that's how bad he has looked the last 3 games. Dribbling off his foot, stepping out of bounds, etc. I think he's just going through a rough patch and he'll turn it around eventually, he's too good of a player.

yep

I'm picking on Hartman because a few are calling for him to start. I'd much rather see Morgan, OG, or Biefeldt start. They've all played "gutsy" as well, while providing greater contributions, IMO.

Fair enough. I too would like to see OG or Morgan in the starting lineup. But, I think we need to put Z in over RJ at the moment.

Fair enough. I too would like to see OG or Morgan in the starting lineup. But, I think we need to put Z in over RJ at the moment.

As a starter? I would have to disagree. Not with the way he's been shooting lately, plus the fact that he can't defend. Hartman or OG would have to be considered before Z in my opinion. But even though he's playing poorly, I'd still almost rather keep Rob in.

Troy had only 2 TOs with 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 points (on 4 shots). He needed to push his offense and score more, but he was otherwise doing pretty much everything we could ask of him, even defending decently. Most of it came in the second half with him being absent most of the first. Outside of the points, that's some "good Troy" basketball and it bugs me that we still are dogging him when he does well rather than recognize his successes. Yogi and RoJo were responsible for over half of our TOs. Heck OG and Troy had the same TO rate.

Defending decently...?

He had a play in the first half where he completely bit on an up fake and gave up an easy layup.  In the second half his man completely beat him.  Troy decided to jump behind that driver at the free throw line and foul him.  That's just two horrible defensive plays that stick out to me.  I'm sure there are more.

Defending decently...?

He had a play in the first half where he completely bit on an up fake and gave up an easy layup. In the second half his man completely beat him. Troy decided to jump behind that driver at the free throw line and foul him. That's just two horrible defensive plays that stick out to me. I'm sure there are more.

at around the 7:40 mark in 2nd half he got beat badly on a back door cut. I watched game again on dvr and that play stuck out. Another thing that stood out, Troy might of got credit for that baseline turnover in 2nd half but that one in my opinion was on yogi for passing it. 3 turnovers by 3 different people trying to feed the post.

at around the 7:40 mark in 2nd half he got beat badly on a back door cut. I watched game again on dvr and that play stuck out. Another thing that stood out, Troy might of got credit for that baseline turnover in 2nd half but that one in my opinion was on yogi for passing it. 3 or turnovers by 3 different people trying to feed the post.

The spacing, especially in the second half, was not good.  There were several times Yogi drove right into Bryant in the lane.  The baseline cut by Troy was not working.  Troy also had a "shot" that was about 3 feet short that might have been a pass to Bryant.  Troy also took a rebound away from Bryant that ended up out of bounds.  Troy did rebound well last night and that helped but I don't think he's been a net positive for a few games.

So, cool. Are we going to have a play-by-play breakdown of every single defensive failure? Or just when someone says they played decently?

If you don't think Troy played better defense than he usually plays during the second half, I don't know what to tell you. Despite his lack of offensive scoring, he had a decent game compared to every other upperclassman on the court.

I'd love to hear how anyone thinks we would win these games without him.

So we're picking on RJ for stepping out of bounds once, and dribbling off his foot once, while Troy and yogi get about 3 TO's each stepping on said baseline per game. I don't see those as a way to single him out. With RJ out, will Bryant even get a post touch?

So we're picking on RJ for stepping out of bounds once, and dribbling off his foot once, while Troy and yogi get about 3 TO's each stepping on said baseline per game. I don't see those as a way to single him out. With RJ out, will Bryant even get a post touch?

zeisoft gave him a nice feed from the top of the key for a post touch and score in the 1st half

As a starter? I would have to disagree. Not with the way he's been shooting lately, plus the fact that he can't defend. Hartman or OG would have to be considered before Z in my opinion. But even though he's playing poorly, I'd still almost rather keep Rob in.

So, you believe the better options are to start one guard or keep Rob in playing as if he is an overwhelmed freshman? Disagree. You talk as if RJ is playing better than NZ. Check the stats over the last 3 games. See the attached stats.[attachment=3168:RJvsNZ_Stats.jpg]

So, cool. Are we going to have a play-by-play breakdown of every single defensive failure? Or just when someone says they played decently?

If you don't think Troy played better defense than he usually plays during the second half, I don't know what to tell you. Despite his lack of offensive scoring, he had a decent game compared to every other upperclassman on the court.

I'd love to hear how anyone thinks we would win these games without him.

I mean I'm good with saying Troy's defense was terrible against Wisconsin. I'm not quite comfortable saying it was anything better than "not terrible." He seemed to have one of his "squirrel!!!" games.

If you're going on how they're playing when picking your starting line up, you have to pick OG.

He plays within the offense

He plays good defense

He makes very few mistakes

He does not try to make ESPN top 10 every night.

He's a team player and he needs to see major minutes.

If you're going on how they're playing when picking your starting line up, you have to pick OG.

He plays within the offense

He plays good defense

He makes very few mistakes

He does not try to make ESPN top 10 every night.

He's a team player and he needs to see major minutes.

I agree he needs more minutes but I still think as a frosh he plays a better role off the bench.  He gets to see how the game is being played before jumping in.  I like this role for RoJo as well but I'm not sure who you start in his place.

I agree he needs more minutes but I still think as a frosh he plays a better role off the bench.  He gets to see how the game is being played before jumping in.  I like this role for RoJo as well but I'm not sure who you start in his place.

You might be right and his spot is off the bench. I don't think he cares. It would be interesting to see how TW would respond coming off the bench...? He has so much talent; he just needs to play more for the end result and the team and TROY might be off the charts.