Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Indiana v. Wisconsin postgame thread

I feel like a lot of generalizations are being made about the players and the game... but they don't all fit...

NZ has only 1 job to hit 3s and is a liability if not.... I disagree, I don't think his defense is nearly as bad as some make it seem... He may not be the most athletically gifted but he is ALWAYS in the correct position to play D... he may get shot over, or may get drove around and he doesn't have the gifts to recover in those situations but I love watching him play defense with fundamentals and heart/desire.

Troy plays out of control so often, and his turnovers (especially when trying to drive on double/triple teams hurt... but last night that wasn't the case, he was basically non-existent on the offensive side of the court and while that isn't a good thing he also wasn't killing us with turnovers this game. On defense he looks for the spectacular play, risks getting beat to try to get the steal and breakaway to get flashy. Doesn't help defense well and watches people shoot over him, he only goes for blocks from behind, never goes up with somebody to contest.

As I said before Yogi gets a lot of credit down the stretch of this game but the Yogi over team attitude/way he is playing the game is not beneficial most of the time. He was not hitting and yet he was forcing shots... again driving into traffic at his size doesn't result in smart plays. He has all the skills to play defense as well but only when he wants to, he is not consistently putting in the effort.

I am loving our frontcourt, OG, Juwan, Max, Bryant are all doing all the things that need to be done. 

if I was in your situation about not finding anything enjoyable to watch about this team( not even Hartman?) I would probaly find a second team to watch until it started being enjoyable again. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy watching their favorite team play. While this team and coach does things I don't find enjoyable, there is also moments where I like the fight, and toughness when things are not going well. Hopefully they will play better so you can enjoy watching them again

I always find comments like these amusing. I have followed IU basketball for nearly 40 of my 46 years, a subpar coach is not going to make me stop pulling for my team. It will encourage me to be very vocal toward their shortfalls. The same is true of the players. Yogi, as much as I am happy he is a Hoosier, has regressed from last season. I hate that Blackmon got injured but it may be the best thing to ever happen to our defense. I don't see why people are so positive about RJ. He is adequate defensively but nowhere near where he should be offensively. Troy is every bit as frustrating as he is exciting. I enjoy his energy but think he should be far better defensively. Max is ok, kind of like watching a lesser Matt Nover. I agree, I love watching the heart I see in Hartman. So, I probably should have included him in my previous post. However, the freshman are the only ones that inspire me. I couldn't believe when it showed Morgan fouled out with zero points. The reason I couldn't believe it was he was absolutely HUGE in that game. Everyone is commending OG, rightfully so. The kid is unconscious right now. He is definitely a diamond in the rough. Bryant has come along great and shows real flashes of a dominant big man. I hope he is viewing this as at least a 2 year deal because he could be awesome next year. Sad truth, you never know what kids are thinking and if he continues to grow, he make roll the dice.

So, please don't feel the need to guide me in my life choices. I have my reasons for making the comments I make. If you disagree, share that. I certainly don't want to tell you what you should or shouldn't watch or what team you should root for.

Don't get all the love for Hartman. He has regressed since last year.

IMO, RoJo is struggling as a starter because he's being asked to be more aggressive on offense. Give him time to find his rhythm again. Great defense still, and that play at the end was CLUTCH.

Loved the defense Morgan played on Nigel Hayes. 

I always find comments like these amusing. I have followed IU basketball for nearly 40 of my 46 years, a subpar coach is not going to make me stop pulling for my team. It will encourage me to be very vocal toward their shortfalls. The same is true of the players. Yogi, as much as I am happy he is a Hoosier, has regressed from last season. I hate that Blackmon got injured but it may be the best thing to ever happen to our defense. I don't see why people are so positive about RJ. He is adequate defensively but nowhere near where he should be offensively. Troy is every bit as frustrating as he is exciting. I enjoy his energy but think he should be far better defensively. Max is ok, kind of like watching a lesser Matt Nover. I agree, I love watching the heart I see in Hartman. So, I probably should have included him in my previous post. However, the freshman are the only ones that inspire me. I couldn't believe when it showed Morgan fouled out with zero points. The reason I couldn't believe it was he was absolutely HUGE in that game. Everyone is commending OG, rightfully so. The kid is unconscious right now. He is definitely a diamond in the rough. Bryant has come along great and shows real flashes of a dominant big man. I hope he is viewing this as at least a 2 year deal because he could be awesome next year. Sad truth, you never know what kids are thinking and if he continues to grow, he make roll the dice.

So, please don't feel the need to guide me in my life choices. I have my reasons for making the comments I make. If you disagree, share that. I certainly don't want to tell you what you should or shouldn't watch or what team you should root for.

I think his comment was in reference to you saying you find absolutely nothing enjoyable about this team. But in this post you seem to find enjoyment in some aspects. Glad you do because I like him would feel bad for those who find no enjoyment in something and still watch it. I too would hope they would find something to be more happy about. Although I would be perplexed by your response due to his hope you could find enjoyment on something else as opposed to being miserable.

Troy had only 2 TOs with 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 points (on 4 shots). He needed to push his offense and score more, but he was otherwise doing pretty much everything we could ask of him, even defending decently. Most of it came in the second half with him being absent most of the first. Outside of the points, that's some "good Troy" basketball and it bugs me that we still are dogging him when he does well rather than recognize his successes. Yogi and RoJo were responsible for over half of our TOs. Heck OG and Troy had the same TO rate.

1-4 with no free throw attempts in 26 minutes? If he could control himself he would have 10+ free throw attempts per game.

I'd say that was "ok Troy". I'm still waiting for "good Troy".

I think his comment was in reference to you saying you find absolutely nothing enjoyable about this team. But in this post you seem to find enjoyment in some aspects. Glad you do because I like him would feel bad for those who find no enjoyment in something and still watch it. I too would hope they would find something to be more happy about. Although I would be perplexed by your response due to his hope you could find enjoyment on something else as opposed to being miserable.

Actually, in my initial post I said the only thing I find enjoyable about this team is the freshman. I should have included a gutsy Hartman but for the most part, my initial statement holds true.

​Not sure how most people would take "I would probaly find a second team to watch until it started being enjoyable again. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy watching their favorite team play.", but I take it as a bit condescending. It was as if the poster was talking to their child. If I read it wrong, my bad.

Actually, in my initial post I said the only thing I find enjoyable about this team is the freshman. I should have included a gutsy Hartman but for the most part, my initial statement holds true.

​Not sure how most people would take "I would probaly find a second team to watch until it started being enjoyable again. I feel bad for people who can't enjoy watching their favorite team play.", but I take it as a bit condescending. It was as if the poster was talking to their child. If I read it wrong, my bad.

Yeah I didn't read it that way. It's all good.

Johnson does not deserve to start. Just like last year, he played decent against the cupcakes but he is horrible against real competition.

disagree completely. Always has solid D, doesn't force it on offense and usually let's the game come to him. He's the best post feeder (I don't know off the top of my head, but seems like he has at least 3 assists to Bryant every game). Notre dame come to mind? 17 points for Rojo in that game and was a huge reason we won. He's had a couple bad games sure, but who hasn't on this team. I think it's very unfair to single him out

I am shocked how bad RoJo and Troy look. They are playing so badly. Hartman is not having a great year either but I didn't expect it necessarily. Rob is the most shocking to me. He doesn't even look College ready in these games.

He is clearly in a slump and can't find his way out. Doing nothing naturally.

To be 3-0 and playing this poorly is most interesting. I am at the point I am enjoying the struggle and in the mode, "it is what it is". My excitement is rising but my expectations aren't. It's a nice place to be.

disagree completely. Always has solid D, doesn't force it on offense and usually let's the game come to him. He's the best post feeder (I don't know off the top of my head, but seems like he has at least 3 assists to Bryant every game). Notre dame come to mind? 17 points for Rojo in that game and was a huge reason we won. He's had a couple bad games sure, but who hasn't on this team. I think it's very unfair to single him out

Love your passion and you see things in him that I don't. Max had a huge game at Rutgers but I am not bonkers for Max. We will disagree on RJ but your point is valid.

Love your passion and you see things in him that I don't. Max had a huge game at Rutgers but I am not bonkers for Max. We will disagree on RJ but your point is valid.

thanks for the response. I do agree that he hasn't looked the best lately, hopefully he can return to Notre Dame form soon!

Took 33 minutes to get to the line though.

When Yogi got fouled before that commercial break I thought man we haven't shot not 1 FT yet. This game was so hard to watch. I've became so disinterested in Hoosier basketball that I almost fell asleep it was so bad. It was good to see our defense playing better. Still a lot of work to do

I am shocked how bad RoJo and Troy look. They are playing so badly. Hartman is not having a great year either but I didn't expect it necessarily. Rob is the most shocking to me. He doesn't even look College ready in these games.

He is clearly in a slump and can't find his way out. Doing nothing naturally.

To be 3-0 and playing this poorly is most interesting. I am at the point I am enjoying the struggle and in the mode, "it is what it is". My excitement is rising but my expectations aren't. It's a nice place to be.

To say RoJo doesn't look "college ready" is a bit absurd IMO. For the most part I think he lets the game come to him and doesn't force his own shot. He's looking to make the next pass to get a better shot. If he's open that's when he shoots. I like that about him. Defensively, the best perimeter defender that we have! What would he have to do for you to consider him "college ready??"

These last couple of games (esp last nite) he seemed a lil reluctant to shoot the ball. Always seemed to he was always 2nd guessing whether or not to shoot. Idk why, he's shooting 51% for deep this season

not sure I guided anyone in life choices, I stated what I would do if I was in that situation.

1-4 with no free throw attempts in 26 minutes? If he could control himself he would have 10+ free throw attempts per game.

I'd say that was "ok Troy". I'm still waiting for "good Troy".

Nobody could buy a free throw this game. I can't hold it against any one player. Totally agree his offense was weak.

Why is Hartman considered "gutsy" when all he's done this year is foul and provide no offense? He really hasn't done anything all year.

Why is Hartman getting so much hate? He hasn't been horrible this year at all. He's averaging roughly the same amount of points as last season in the same amount of minutes while rebounding at a slightly worse rate and assisting at a slightly better rate. His shooting percentages are down from last season overall and from three but both are still good (47% FG 40% 3).