Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Waiting for obligatory "but OG Anunoby was ranked low too!"

Not from me you won't!   I try not to get too overly hyped on the rankings.  Some 3's will blossom; some 5's will tank; some rankings are totally self-serving by the parties doing the ranking.   Just get me coachable kids who want to play for Indiana and will work the extra hours in the gym to get better even if they're already considered a 5-star recruit.

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not from me you won't!   I try not to get too overly hyped on the rankings.  Some 3's will blossom; some 5's will tank; some rankings are totally self-serving by the parties doing the ranking.   Just get me coachable kids who want to play for Indiana and will work the extra hours in the gym to get better even if they're already considered a 5-star recruit.

I have a little different take:

All of the intangibles are an absolute that we need to try to insure before ever considering a recruit as a good fit for IUBB. After that vetting is done,the high ranked kids are no guarantee, but the odds are way better that they're talented and skilled. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I have a little different take:

All of the intangibles are an absolute that we need to try to insure before ever considering a recruit as a good fit for IUBB. After that vetting is done,the high ranked kids are no guarantee, but the odds are way better that they're talented and skilled. 

Very true.  While I don't get too hyped over the rankings, history is clear that the higher ranked kids, overall, will out-perform the 4's and 3's as you pointed out with exceptions at both ends of the spectrum.  A roster built solely on 3's and a couple of 4's won't hang another banner in AH. 

57 minutes ago, NoahW35 said:

He is from Illinois and has talked openly about how playing for his home state is a big deal to him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just weird in the sense someone elite is going to Illinois.  That state has always had elite talent, but rarely do they end up at the state school.  Good for them.  I actually like Groce.  

2 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

Yeah, that was a forgone conclusion for awhile now. It's early, but Illinois is putting together a strong 17 class, the best of the B10 right now. Have to wonder if they make it to campus though

The kid has to know that. He will probably still go there. 

Just weird in the sense someone elite is going to Illinois.  That state has always had elite talent, but rarely do they end up at the state school.  Good for them.  I actually like Groce.  

What do a lot of talking heads say? Chicago is one of if not the most corrupt city for recruiting.

@samwebb77

2017 Kalamazoo Central F Isaiah Livers - Chose Michigan over offers from MSU, Cal, Boston College, & host of others

Fwiw crystal ball was 100 percent Michigan state

ESPN 100 No. 69 Isaiah Livers is heading to Michigan.

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

@samwebb77

2017 Kalamazoo Central F Isaiah Livers - Chose Michigan over offers from MSU, Cal, Boston College, & host of others

Fwiw crystal ball was 100 percent Michigan state

ESPN 100 No. 69 Isaiah Livers is heading to Michigan.

Thank you, sir