Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

A phenomenal recruiting class by Rutgers standards.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mac McClung I believe that is his last name, but I watched tape of him and he looks like a major steal. Add this kid and I believe they will be a good program in a few years.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Nebraska and Purdoo recruiting. NOT getting it done.

Recent video of Purdoo's only current committed 2018 recruit, Trevion Williams.

• Nice handles.
  • 6'8"
  • Really, really...chubby. Not "DeAndre Thomas fat", but more like "middle-aged fast food clerk chubby."

https://twitter.com/a1mighty_trey23/status/895077092240576512

49 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Recent video of Purdoo's only current committed 2018 recruit, Trevion Williams.

• Nice handles.
  • 6'8"
  • Really, really...chubby. Not "DeAndre Thomas fat", but more like "middle-aged fast food clerk chubby."

https://twitter.com/a1mighty_trey23/status/895077092240576512

that scoop shot was just amazing.  I am in awe at his athletic ability.

Just now, iuswingman said:

that scoop shot was just amazing.  I am in awe at his athletic ability.

Rumor has it he can elevate enough to touch the net while in mid-air!

I have more video; he recently played in the NBPA top 100 camp. Feeling a little more of the DeAndre Thomas-ey vibe in this vid:

Uhh.  I'm not that cool with fat-shaming a 17 year old kid.  It's likely a reflection of the kinds of foods that have been made available to him through his life.  On some level I like to think we're a little classier around here.

Besides, when he backed that dude down with an atomic hip check he created enough space that vertical wasn't needed.

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Uhh.  I'm not that cool with fat-shaming a 17 year old kid.  It's likely a reflection of the kinds of foods that have been made available to him through his life.  On some level I like to think we're a little classier around here.

Besides, when he backed that dude down with an atomic hip check he created enough space that vertical wasn't needed.

Good point, and I will stop the snarky stuff for this player. All kidding aside, I guess it's better to be skilled and out of shape than in shape and talent-less; a kid with no talent can't magically invent it, but an out of shape kid can get in shape.

However, I wonder if Purdue's fanbase has expectations that every out of shape power forward that they recruit will turn into Swanigan. Swanigan was so interesting because he was the exception, not the rule. Kinda like when we would get Crean projects and expect them to be the next Victor Oladipo. The outliers are special because the norm rarely turns out that way.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Good point, and I will stop the snarky stuff for this player. All kidding aside, I guess it's better to be skilled and out of shape than in shape and talent-less; a kid with no talent can't magically invent it, but an out of shape kid can get in shape.

However, I wonder if Purdue's fanbase has expectations that every out of shape power forward that they recruit will turn into Swanigan. Swanigan was so interesting because he was the exception, not the rule. Kinda like when we would get Crean projects and expect them to be the next Victor Oladipo. The outliers are special because the norm rarely turns out that way.

Ha!  I love reading Purdue's expectations.  They like to use quasi-arithmetic to add up all the reasons that they are the best program in the Big Ten, and why this is the year they'll get to the Final Four.  Every time they miss out on a recruit it's "yeah but he wasn't that good."  With Trevion, it's "we're Big Man U, wait till CMP gets ahold of him."  Their self-ordained "Big Man U" thing is simultaneously obnoxious and a little cute.

The thing about Swanigan is he was a top 20 recruit. He wasn't that bad shape wise when he committed. He was morbidly obese in middle school. Overweight in high school (Think Zach Randolph). If they truly feel every kid has this potential, they should start plucking top 20 kids for higher probability.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For every Swanigan there are 5 Beejay Anya's.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

The thing about Swanigan is he was a top 20 recruit. He wasn't that bad shape wise when he committed. He was morbidly obese in middle school. Overweight in high school (Think Zach Randolph). If they truly feel every kid has this potential, they should start plucking top 20 kids for higher probability.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yup, and because of a variety of factors (West Laffy, engineering/techy academic orientation, ugly @$$ uniforms, ugly @$$ campus, not exactly mecca for attractive women, Painter is a good coach but not a likeable salesman, old-fashioned offensive scheme, etc, etc) they'll never get them. The Roosevelt Barnes/Swanigan connection was the ultimate outlier, and isn't likely to be replicated anytime soon. That having been said, they better get theirs this year, because after Haas, PJ, Mathias and V Edwards leave at the end of the season, that cupboard is pretty darn bare.