Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Good get.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Did he sign yesterday and announce today. I watched the Champaign news at 6 and they didn't know for sure because he said he was waiting until Spring to sign. I'm assuming to see if Ayo goes pro. At least that was what I hot out of the guys reporting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As the rest of the B1G makes strides..........

This commitment has been predicted for a while.

Imo we will go into next season mid B1G projections. 6-8 range.

Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan will be ahead of us in projections.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think Archie would have us right there if he were "allowed" to recruit. We ask our coaches to recruit with one hand tied behind their back. Trying to play the game by rules that dont exist anymore. I believe even Crean alluded to this.

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:
I think Archie would have us right there if he were "allowed" to recruit. We ask our coaches to recruit with one hand tied behind their back. Trying to play the game by rules that dont exist anymore. I believe even Crean alluded to this.

I believe that was exactly what he was alluding to when he said the administration and him didn't see things eye to eye.  Or they were working against him or whatever phrasing it was. 

The interesting thing here is Indiana got Romeo, but Adidas was taking care of the Langfords through AAU so I'm not sure exactly sure how this plays into other recruits.  We clearly know many of these players believe they are worth it, and many are.  The evidence is out there for this.  Either its big time with Zion Williamson, Deandre Ayton types.  Heck even Brian Bowen ended up being a 6 figure kid and he was a low 5 star or high 4 star. 

I DO think its possible to be successful and clean or at least relatively clean but the odds are stacked against you.  I don't even know what model we fit in right now.  Maybe Purdue, with a little bit higher top end??  I guess if our coach can coach em up, this could work.  I want to be noted in the same breathe as the heavyweights some day and i'm not sure that is ever going to happen again.  

recruiting will change with the one and done rule gone, but the cheater programs will still continue to land the best talent.  Then it hurts us for 2 or 3 years instead of 1 and honestly could widen the gap even further from the cheaters to the clean programs. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

Did he sign yesterday and announce today. I watched the Champaign news at 6 and they didn't know for sure because he said he was waiting until Spring to sign. I'm assuming to see if Ayo goes pro. At least that was what I hot out of the guys reporting.

8 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That right there would kind of p*ss me off as a fan or coach.

On a different note, UI signing Curbelo & Miller (presumably) kind of shoots the whole "you gotta win before you can attract recruits" mantra.  Even today, I'm not sure UI is a better team than we are, and certainly haven't been over the past few years.

Good find. My love/hate of recruiting continues. I wish I didn’t give a damn, but it’s the single best indicator of future success.

Through your eyes that should show you how down the B1G recruiting is conference wise. Because in 2018,19,20 IU’s recruiting classes ranked in the 247 composite average out to be around the top for B1G teams nationally and in conference. Winning cures all. If IU had Ohio st 2020 recruiting class most on here would have pitchforks out. When I have more time I will post the numbers

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Through your eyes that should show you how down the B1G recruiting is conference wise. Because in 2018,19,20 IU’s recruiting classes ranked in the 247 composite average out to be around the top for B1G teams nationally and in conference. Winning cures all. If IU had Ohio st 2020 recruiting class most on here would have pitchforks out. When I have more time I will post the numbers

You are right about winning.  

Big rankings for IU

2017-3rd               overall #32

2018-2nd (thanks Romeo)             overall #10 (thanks again Romeo)

2019-6th                  overall  #53

2020-4th for now      overall #26 likely to drop as we aren't in running for anyone noteworthy

For a team that wants to be a top team nationally this isn't much to brag about.  The B1G has been weak in recruiting in general.  That 2017 class may pay some dividends this year with Justin Smith and Al Durham but we aren't recruiting at a level to be nationally relevant and so far the results are about equal.  Then again Texas Tech found lightning in a bottle.  But now they are recruiting better too.   

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Only if they had forgotten completely about OSU's 2019 class - 3 top 50 guys.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You are right about winning.  

Big rankings for IU

2017-3rd               overall #32

2018-2nd (thanks Romeo)             overall #10 (thanks again Romeo)

2019-6th                  overall  #53

2020-4th for now      overall #26 likely to drop as we aren't in running for anyone noteworthy

For a team that wants to be a top team nationally this isn't much to brag about.  The B1G has been weak in recruiting in general.  That 2017 class may pay some dividends this year with Justin Smith and Al Durham but we aren't recruiting at a level to be nationally relevant and so far the results are about equal.  Then again Texas Tech found lightning in a bottle.  But now they are recruiting better too.   

Texas Tech as a random example.  2019 class #16 overall.  2020 stands at #6. We, at Indiana, aren't recruiting great.   I know teams can win with less, I get it, but I think the correlation of success is strong.  Always have, always will.

Indiana should have been better last year with Romeo.  We didn't live up to our standards OR the recruiting expectation, because relative to the B1G we should be a top 5 team.  And I think we can be.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

14 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Reluctantly, I have to agree. Our recruiting success is primarily based on in-state guys - that's a good thing and obviously a priority for CAM.  But at some point we must start getting some out of state, highly ranked players.  Because so many recruits we've landed are from Indiana, we may overvalue them (IDK) but from a national or outside perspective I don't think anyone is overly impressed with our recruiting.

Of course getting the right kind of player is important, and building a team with them is the bottom line.  I believe we're going to be much better this season than last and what outsiders probably expect.  Still, I'm concerned about our inability to land top-75 playes unless they're from Indiana.

Only if they had forgotten completely about OSU's 2019 class - 3 top 50 guys.

Kind of like some on here forget about having a McDonald’s all-American and the highest rated recruit out of the 2019 class for the B1G

Kind of like some on here forget about having a McDonald’s all-American and the highest rated recruit out of the 2019 class for the B1G

No one has forgotten about that. He’s already our most impactful player. You start to get great when you stack about 3 of these guys together with the right other pieces. No one from 2020 is going to come in with immediately strong impact.

No one has forgotten about that. He’s already our most impactful player. You start to get great when you stack about 3 of these guys together with the right other pieces. No one from 2020 is going to come in with immediately strong impact.

Who is Ohio St stacking in their 2020 class with their guys?

Texas Tech as a random example.  2019 class #16 overall.  2020 stands at #6. We, at Indiana, aren't recruiting great.   I know teams can win with less, I get it, but I think the correlation of success is strong.  Always have, always will.

Indiana should have been better last year with Romeo.  We didn't live up to our standards OR the recruiting expectation, because relative to the B1G we should be a top 5 team.  And I think we can be.  

If we are talking about winning championships, you have to have talent. Even Virginia who so many want to say won with a bunch of 3 stars. Their team last year was put together of all Top 100 guys except for Jack Salt and Kahei Clark who were outside the Top 300. That included 3 Top 50 guys in Guy, Jerome and Diakite. Those Villanova teams that people want to say the same about? About the same situation. The biggest thing for them is that they were able to get big recruits to stay more than 1 year. Spellman and Brunson were both Top 25 recruits and each stayed 2-3 years. Even UNC had guys like Theo Pinson and Justin Jackson. Jackson was ranked 9th and stayed 4 years. Or looking back to 2010 with that Duke team who had Kyle Singled that 4 years as a Top 10 recruit. Now if you want to talk about just competing in the Top 4 or 5 of the Big Ten, then you can recruit in just the top half of the B1G and be content with that.