Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Hoiberg doing Hoiberg things. 3 commits this week I believe. Transfers and Jucos. That’s how he built Iowa State. I think he eventually has success with this formula.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe, but will it be enough to get Nebraska a tournament win? He's getting a much lower caliber of transfer than he was  when he founded Transfer U at ISU, since most major coaches didn't really consider transfers... but now UNC and UK are taking the top transfers off the market and the best incoming freshmen so the transfer market is as competitive as regular recruiting and Nebraska has relatively similar pull. Hoiberg was getting transfers from high majors at ISU, I don't think any of the guys he has brought in at Nebraska come from high majors unless I missed one.

I think he's a good coach so I see him outperforming his talent a bit but I don't think he'll reach the highs he did at ISU.

Edited by Aeggie

Maybe, but will it be enough to get Nebraska a tournament win? He's getting a much lower caliber of transfer than he was  when he founded Transfer U at ISU, since most major coaches didn't really consider transfers... but now UNC and UK are taking the top transfers off the market and the best incoming freshmen so the transfer market is as competitive as regular recruiting and Nebraska has relatively similar pull. Hoiberg was getting transfers from high majors at ISU, I don't think any of the guys he has brought in at Nebraska come from high majors unless I missed one.
I think he's a good coach so I see him outperforming his talent a bit but I don't think he'll reach the highs he did at ISU.

I can’t really remember the caliber of transfers he got at ISU and it seems kind of early to have much of an idea on how he will do at Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I can’t really remember the caliber of transfers he got at ISU and it seems kind of early to have much of an idea on how he will do at Nebraska.

Royce White was a 5* coming out of high school, I believe, and was originally at Minnesota. Jameel Mckay was from Marquette. Korie Luscious was from Michigan State. Will Clyburn from Utah. A lot of those guys were 5* or high 4* guys coming out of high school. He was able to get those guys at ISU because a lot of schools weren't recruiting transfers. Maybe he has identified a bunch of hidden gems in these guys he just got at Nebraska but at a glance it's a much different level of talent than he was able to get off of the transfer market at ISU because he popularized recruiting transfers throughout the sport. He could be a better coach than I think, and I think he's good, and win anyway but he has a tough build ahead of him I think.

Four-star guard Joe Bamisile (247sports.com/player/joe-bam…) just flipped from committed to Northwestern to Virginia Tech. Ranked No. 62 in the @247Sports Composite Rankings.
Evan Daniels
You don’t see that everyday in basketball recruiting

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Four-star guard Joe Bamisile (247sports.com/player/joe-bam…) just flipped from committed to Northwestern to Virginia Tech. Ranked No. 62 in the @247Sports Composite Rankings.
Evan Daniels
You don’t see that everyday in basketball recruiting

Chris Collins fading, fading, fading, fading, fading, fading...

I like Collins and wish him well, but I can't imagine the phone is ever gonna ring with that call.

I really thought he was going to be so much better than he turned out. Once they got in the tournament I thought they could be that hovering Iowa style team. Wrong on that one.

Illinois just landed a D3 player who will have to sit a year to play two with them. Much like Hoiberg, Illinois seems to be filling their roster with players who have long odds of ever being key contributors. His DIII stats for his year at Connecticut Wesleyan are:

Austin Hutcherson
Austin Hutcherson
Height: 6-6
Weight: 175
Year: Fr.
Hometown: Freehold, N.J.
High School: The Hun School
Position: G
GP 29
PTS/G 12.0
FG % 41.8
3PT % 44.3
FT % 82.6
REB/G 3.7
A/G 2.7

Illinois just landed a D3 player who will have to sit a year to play two with them. Much like Hoiberg, Illinois seems to be filling their roster with players who have long odds of ever being key contributors. His DIII stats for his year at Connecticut Wesleyan are:

Austin_Hutcherson.jpg?max_width=160%26max_height=210&key=7d150bd4a821bb360965527e2cd6696dd5ea3b78bdd97619f81b7ce0e86521bc Austin Hutcherson
Height: 6-6
Weight: 175
Year: Fr.
Hometown: Freehold, N.J.
High School: The Hun School
Position: G
GP 29 PTS/G 12.0 FG % 41.8 3PT % 44.3 FT % 82.6 REB/G 3.7 A/G 2.7

I’d take those 3PT and FT % from our guards...

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow I can only imagine the angst and wailing if IU signed a transfer from D3. I'm sure this kid is a real nice ball-player and could tear it up at the YMCA summer league, but it's a  big jump to the B1G. 

Trying to find the next Duncan Robinson