Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

because unlike Crean he's winning without a roster full of 4 and 5 stars. Guys system does work. He just struggles to fill his roster with the right players. 

His best years were either with a 5* and solid 4* or high 4* due to our sanctions. Josh is right. He is essentially Crean’s ceiling with less crazy flow season to season. He was at the bottom of the B1G a few years ago and they were getting ready to fire him like a year or two after he almost left for Mizzou.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Coach Izzo went on a "whole rant" on Brandon Johns when called to inform him he was committing to Michigan, not the local MSU.  Not at all surprising.  Izzo has an ego like all of the top guys.  

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/2018/01/11/brandon-johns-east-lansing-michigan-wolverines-basketball/1018347001/

Looks like Michigan, OSU, IU are all reloading for the next few years.  MSU will remain good.  Wisconsin and Purdue likely to drop some.  I'd love to see the B1G be strong again.

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Coach Izzo went on a "whole rant" on Brandon Johns when called to inform him he was committing to Michigan, not the local MSU.  Not at all surprising.  Izzo has an ego like all of the top guys.  

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/2018/01/11/brandon-johns-east-lansing-michigan-wolverines-basketball/1018347001/

The following quote from John's mother could well apply to the Langford family if Romeo commits early to other than IU.

His mother, Havilah Johns, has heard plenty of opinions, too. Some MSU fans have shared their "mild" disappointment, she said. Others have been downright ugly.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, cthomas said:

I have a strong dislike for Purdue and I'm not that fond of Painter either. But, I have a lot of respect for how he puts teams together and how they play. He's getting his kind of talent again now and, like it or not, Purdue is not going away..I think CAM is doing the same thing and expect some epic Knight/Keady like battles in the future.

Ive been wanting Purdue to go away for 40 years! Hasnt happened.  Painter pretty much does what is expected in West Lafayette. Will continue to be a thorn in our side.

18 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Thanks for posting.  I'm glad we're part of the upswing.  Huge coaching turnover in the B1G last year, too, with 3 big coaching upgrades (although Underwood hasn't really shown up yet).  

Still stings when IU's blueblood status is put in the past tense.

Thanks for posting.  I'm glad we're part of the upswing.  Huge coaching turnover in the B1G last year, too, with 3 big coaching upgrades (although Underwood hasn't really shown up yet).  
Still stings when IU's blueblood status is put in the past tense.

Underwood has Illinois playing harder then they ever did under Groce. They are just as good as any B1G team 5-14. 3 of their 6 B1G losses have come in overtime and they have been in every game. Just don’t have the results to back it up. He is definitely an upgrade from Groce. Oklahoma st last year started 0-6 in conference and then went on a tear and made the tourney. Not happening this year. B1G is in good hands with new coaches moving forward

29 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Underwood has Illinois playing harder then they ever did under Groce. They are just as good as any B1G team 5-14. 3 of their 6 B1G losses have come in overtime and they have been in every game. Just don’t have the results to back it up. He is definitely an upgrade from Groce. Oklahoma st last year started 0-6 in conference and then went on a tear and made the tourney. Not happening this year. B1G is in good hands with new coaches moving forward

Oh yeah totally agree USPS.  I should have said just the wins aren't showing up yet.  They've been in the games, though.

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

And another loss by a buzzer beating three vs Nebraska a couple days ago. They are due for a couple wins here soon.

Underwood isn't as bad as his record and Holtmann isn't as amazing as his record. One just got gift wrapped a team ready to succeed. The other not so much

What?? Ohio State was bad last season and their offseason was a mess.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/10/9/16428406/three-storylines-ohio-state-basketball-2017-18-big-ten

Holtmann deserves praise for what he's done. He certainly was not gift wrapped a team

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/10/9/16428406/three-storylines-ohio-state-basketball-2017-18-big-ten

Holtmann deserves praise for what he's done. He certainly was not gift wrapped a team

Gift wrapped in the sense that they already were accustomed to his play style. He didn’t have to “break” anyone like Archie is doing

Holtmann deserves a ton of credit
Bates-Diop missed most of last year and has come back like the 5 star player he was suppose to be. He is playing at an all American level. One could argue that Ohio st roster turnover was addition by subtraction. Out of all the moves in the off season. Lyle not returning could of been the most beneficial. Again holtmann deserves all the credit that will be coming his way (starting 7-0 in B1G hasn’t been done by a first year coach in 95 years). Ohio st had talent that underachieved the last couple years now they are playing like people expected them to play. Going to be fun in the future watching Archie and Holtmann battle.

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Holtmann deserves a ton of credit
Bates-Diop missed most of last year and has come back like the 5 star player he was suppose to be. He is playing at an all American level. One could argue that Ohio st roster turnover was addition by subtraction. Out of all the moves in the off season. Lyle not returning could of been the most beneficial. Again holtmann deserves all the credit that will be coming his way (starting 7-0 in B1G hasn’t been done by a first year coach in 95 years). Ohio st had talent that underachieved the last couple years now they are playing like people expected them to play. Going to be fun in the future watching Archie and Holtmann battle.

I agree he deserves a lot of credit, and I also agree is some way his transition was easier due to style of play. It's hard not to be a little jealous, but at the same time, we are looking for a long-term fix. Not saying that Holtmann won't have success long-term, more just saying I don't think he could have done any better at IU than CAM is doing. If you look at the talent we lost and the trajectory of this team last year compared to this year, I really don't see how CAM could be doing much better.

I really don't think you can compare them until they are in about year 5.

I agree he deserves a lot of credit, and I also agree is some way his transition was easier due to style of play. It's hard not to be a little jealous, but at the same time, we are looking for a long-term fix. Not saying that Holtmann won't have success long-term, more just saying I don't think he could have done any better at IU than CAM is doing. If you look at the talent we lost and the trajectory of this team last year compared to this year, I really don't see how CAM could be doing much better.
I really don't think you can compare them until they are in about year 5.

I’m hoping most on here wouldn’t be that jealous at a short term result. IU got their guy and Ohio st got their guy after he turned them down at first. Every coaching situation at different schools are going to be different. Too many fans get emotionally invested in comparing what other coaches are doing. Human nature to compare but in my opinion way to early.

Curious how that chart will look in 5 years time with Slick Rick already gone and the likes of K, ol Roy, and Boeheim likely to retire too.