Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

B10 Basketball Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Meh. 

If IU's 2017 class was Nunge and Garza, the fan boards would be in open revolt.

Fran will be..."just okay."

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on why we seemingly never expressed any interest whatsoever in Nunge.  Our choice?  He hates us?  He put up solid numbers as a junior.   6'10"; needs more weight on his frame and he's only 3-star, but he's also someone who will be a 4-year player.  Certainly don't want him as your cornerstone target, but it just seemed odd to me that there never seemed to be at least passing interest on our part.  Don't like McCaffrey but I think Nunge will probably do well in the Iowa system. 

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on why we seemingly never expressed any interest whatsoever in Nunge.  Our choice?  He hates us?  He put up solid numbers as a junior.   6'10"; needs more weight on his frame and he's only 3-star, but he's also someone who will be a 4-year player.  Certainly don't want him as your cornerstone target, but it just seemed odd to me that there never seemed to be at least passing interest on our part.  Don't like McCaffrey but I think Nunge will probably do well in the Iowa system. 

I think it simply is that IU thinks he does not have a specific skill that can be developed into something especially excellent. 

Save for a few last minute signings, CTC seems to reach for "below four star" kids when he thinks they have a particular facet of their game that can be turned into a prominent team feature: length, shooting, quickness, physicality, something. Nunge seems to be an everyman well-rounded player without any currently discernible upside.

Meh. 

If IU's 2017 class was Nunge and Garza, the fan boards would be in open revolt.

Fran will be..."just okay."

I agree. Our expectations should be much higher. I'm just alluding to the fact that Fran finds his share of diamonds. They don't really recruit at a level to be a national powerhouse. I think Garza and Nunge will be solid but as you said I wouldn't have been stoked for either one. But I think they will both be good serviceable B1G players. I like our remaining targets much better, assuming we land them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think it simply is that IU thinks he does not have a specific skill that can be developed into something especially excellent. 

Save for a few last minute signings, CTC seems to reach for "below four star" kids when he thinks they have a particular facet of their game that can be turned into a prominent team feature: length, shooting, quickness, physicality, something. Nunge seems to be an everyman well-rounded player without any currently discernible upside.

We need to have a four year player like that in the front court. He's not going to out jump anyone, he won't get steals and blocks with his length, he's not scoring 20 a game but he's just solid all the way around. We consistently need to land that player as a third or fourth big on the roster.

42 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We need to have a four year player like that in the front court. He's not going to out jump anyone, he won't get steals and blocks with his length, he's not scoring 20 a game but he's just solid all the way around. We consistently need to land that player as a third or fourth big on the roster.

I get the impression that our staff felt that Nunge was not good enough to be ^^that^^ guy.