Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Just sitting around and bored. So I got to thinking. Is there anyway that the Big Ten would re evaluate the league and east/west setup. Ik it is based on geography and travel and all that. One cross over game a year to keep rivalries and what not. But the west is weak and I feel anyone can win any given week (yes that can be said for east if you're level headed) but in the upcoming years. The east is going to be run by OSU, MSU, Michigan. I'm optimistic that heh the hoosiers are fighters now but if we Think in realistic. We will be 4 if we are lucky, 5-7 annually. Idk if we just switched one of the Michigan teams maybe balance the conference

Personally, I want to see the Hoosiers rrise to become a leader in the B1G East. Not really interested in it being brought down to our level.

I'd love that as well lol I'm more of a football fan than basketball fan. Haven't missed a game in 12 years (besides when I was playing college football lol) I'm 22. Lol so that's not saying a lot but I'm die hard

They aren't terrible really, the good teams in the West are just down right now. Wisco, Northwestern, Nebraska, all have a chance to compete with Iowa and make the west stronger. The east just has the two most dominant teams (MSU and OSU). And that was all right until Michigan got Harbs and they are going to be another one. Splitting up MSU and OSU would be good.

If we can bring our program up, then there is only one real loser school and someone has to take them (Rutgers).

All that having been said... I think a minor shift is likely if they can find an excuse in the next couple years. Next year and the year after at least, there's a good chance MSU, OSU, and Michigan will be top 10 schools. You have to split them up so the conference championship becomes more meaningful. 

Problem solved!

The Uprights:

Hoosiers

Boilermakers

Spartans

Illini

Huskers

Buckeyes  (They grow on trees so that's sorta upright!)

The 4-Legged or Neanderthal Division

Wolverines

Terrapins

Wildcats

Badgers

Gophers

Nittany Lions

I love the East-West setup. Yes, IU probably got the short end of the stick more than any other school in the split, but for every other school this setup makes the most sense as far as travel and rivalries. The Purdue game as the only fixed cross-division game was a good compromise.

In all honesty, IU is better off associating with the schools in the East. As evident in the Pin Stripe bowl, we have a large alumni presence. We get great traveling crowds from OSU and Michigan to help with attendance. Most importantly, we had prime time, nationally televised games on ABC this year against Michigan, MSU, and OSU. We would not get that sort of coverage in the West division. We are where the money is.

The Big Ten is already on its second divisional alignment, I don't see the conference changing the alignment anytime soon unless it expands (Oklahoma and Kansas?).

I also wouldn't worry about the balance. The SEC East is incredible weak compared to the West. If Nebraska gets back to being a national powerhouse, the conference will look a lot stronger.

I'm just not sure that Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin can all be really good to powerhouse at the same time.  If two are strong along with Northwestern that would make the West look a little better.  The East is always going to be strong with MSU, O$U, and UM.

If more schools are added I see it coming from Texas or more likely the east and pushing IU to the West.

Just sitting around and bored. So I got to thinking. Is there anyway that the Big Ten would re evaluate the league and east/west setup. Ik it is based on geography and travel and all that. One cross over game a year to keep rivalries and what not. But the west is weak and I feel anyone can win any given week (yes that can be said for east if you're level headed) but in the upcoming years. The east is going to be run by OSU, MSU, Michigan. I'm optimistic that heh the hoosiers are fighters now but if we Think in realistic. We will be 4 if we are lucky, 5-7 annually. Idk if we just switched one of the Michigan teams maybe balance the conference

Even my Purdue buddy agrees that we got screwed being in the East. PSU will also be at full strength soon. Losses to PSU, MSU, UM and OSU likely in most years. Iowa doesn't go to the Rose Bowl if they're in the East.

I love the East-West setup. Yes, IU probably got the short end of the stick more than any other school in the split, but for every other school this setup makes the most sense as far as travel and rivalries. The Purdue game as the only fixed cross-division game was a good compromise.

Rutgers got the short end of the stick more than any other school. I mean, I don't care because they don't belong here, but they are not coming back for a long time and will be a whipping boy in the East for the next decade at least.

Rutgers got the short end of the stick more than any other school. I mean, I don't care because they don't belong here, but they are not coming back for a long time and will be a whipping boy in the East for the next decade at least.

I meant from a travel perspective. IU loses easy trips to NW and Illinois, but kept Purdue and gets an easy trip to Columbus. All the other schools play their immediate geographical rivals each year.

Lol don't feel sorry for Rutgers one bit. Out of all the schools that were affected by realignment in the early 2010s, Rutgers made out like bandits. They wouldn't care if they never had a winning season again. I am exaggerating there but the point remains.

My only complaint is Mizzou not joining the Big10. Living in Stl, that would have been an easy was for me to see IU sports lol.

Our East division is brutal at the top, but IU has proven we can hang with them.

Good point. I wonder if long-term the B1G will regret not admitting Mizzou instead of Nebraska (or short-term with TV rights negotiations)? Tons of B1G alumni in St. Louis. Easy trip from Indy and Chicago. Much bigger overall market than Lincoln/Omaha. Great academics.

Pinkel probably maxed out what Mizzou could achieve as a football program. Obviously, the hope is that Nebraska gets back to being a national powerhouse, but if Nebraska does not, will we say the conference compromised it's academic values for football?