Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

Pinstripe Bowl Post-Game Thread

I was highly disappointed after Rutgers and was convinced we needed to make a change. Wilson and the team rebounded well enough to make it to s bowl and outside of some big plays was the better team. Big plays though are part of the game but this is a program I could support and am proud to be a Hoosier fan tonight.

Hey, we asked for a bowl, we got one, we asked for a bowl win, we didn't get one. "You can't always get what you want" as the Rolling Stones would say. And we clearly have some progress to do before next season, and we still have some momentum heading into next season. So let's Play 14 next season and win it all!

I have drank plenty that is probably why I posted in anger. Bottom line you can't give that many big plays up and expect to win however we have a offense that gave us a chance but fell a bit short. Wasn't the day any of us wanted except BlueDevil2aHoosier

Kinda figured that. And yes any way you cut it the number of big plays given up have plagued IU all season. And even BlueDevil appeared to be pulling for IU at the end.

This is what happens when you put the game in the refs hands. We had so many opportunities to take control of our own "destiny" and we let it slip away.

Reminds me of the Bo Schembechler line about how if a bad call cost you the game, you just didn't do enough to win it. That's not a quote, just the gist.

Howard says he wants to go to the NFL draft, but given the amount of injuries this season, who's going to take a chance on a brittle 250 pound back?  I was disappointed in his inability to stay healthy.  Indiana wins at least 2 more games if he's on the field.

Not sure he has a "inability to stay healthy". First injury was a high ankle sprain that happened while he was blocking, just a football injury. Not quite sure what the second was, otherwise than a knee. I don't think that's a matter of injury prone. If he comes back next year and it the same story, might have to look at it a bit different.

Mike Miller ‏@MikeMillerHT
Kevin Wilson says it was Jordan Howard's call not to play. Wanted to play, didn't feel well enough.

This is interesting. The whole Jordan Howard tenure at IU seems to have been very similar to Noah Vonleh's. Will he get the same hatred some have since given Vonleh?

Great entertaining game yesterday. Just wish we could have won.

Last night was extremely disappointing. I couldn't stop thinking about the game and put myself to sleep by 9. After waking up this morning, still disappointing but it doesn't hurt as much. If anything, I'm even more excited for spring ball. This team played arguably one of the toughest schedules in all of college football. The B1G East is legit, and we keep going to bowl games the level of recruits we get will pick up like we've never seen before.

Yes, we are going to lose Suds, Spriggs, and possibly Howard and Feeney. However, we are LOADED with talent on offense. The defense is only going to get better as guys mature and get healthy. The secondary played its heart out last night. Fant, Dutra, and Crawford all back next season. Plus we get the JUCO transfer Thompson.

Nine conference games will be tough, but we have proven we can compete with anyone. Winning your three out of conference games, plus beating Purdue, Rutgers and Maryland, the latter of two who are reloading with a new coach, gets you to six wins. No reason we cannot steal a game or two from the remaining big boys on our schedule. NW and Nebraska are the two other out of division games, add that to our annual games against OSU, MSU, Michigan and PSU, and we will likely have one of the toughest schedules in college football again.

Wow.  What an experience!  A bowl game.  A BOWL GAME!  In my freaking backyard (2 hrs and 15 mins drive straight through NJ, up the Pike, across the GW and into the Bronx...easy peasy!)!!!  Opportunities like this don't come often (hopefully more frequently now!).  Personal highlights include:

• Yankee Freaking Stadium.  C'mon, it doesn't get more iconic (even the new one is gorgeous w/a taste of old).  Walking around Monument Park.  Just a marvelous site!
  • Bumping into Antwaan Randle El!  My all time favorite IUFB player!  He was a student when I attended IU.  I wish I had a sharpie on me but a handshake and a memory is good enough!
  • Watching the team arrive and seeing the support as they marched off the bus into the stadium.  These are the experiences that I as a fan enjoy the most!  The pomp and circumstance stuff!
  • Did I mention Yankee Stadium!?
  • Converting two neutral residents of Connecticut into IU fans!  These two (father/son duo) were cheering for IU as if they were lifers!  Hopefully they make it to the site!
  • Checking a Bowl game off the bucket list.  

Now the game itself.  What can I say, it was IUFB!  Drop passes (story of the year for Cobbs unfortunately), fumble on special teams, interceptions (Suds was inconsistent at best last night).  When he was on, he was slinging that ball perfectly...but when he was off, look out.  TD's, untouched, straight up the gut.  That's IU Defense.  I had a litany of other things that I had told myself to remember but I don't.  lol

I'm in a simlar boat to akhsrof.  I was disappointed with the results and woke up a little less disappointed.  I slowly came out from that foggy haze and have moved onto next year.  I'm ready to rock it out next year.

Howard.  I don't know what to say about Howard.  Part of me wants to say the kid gave it his all and I want to thank him for his time here.  But then his lack of playing injured has me thinking the kid was in it for the kid (see the Vonleh reference above).  Especially when you hear that Tevin Coleman played on a broken toe (toes?) last year.  But ultimately no two injuries are the same so I don't think it's fair for me to pass that judgement....but it will always be in the back of my mind.

Not sure he has a "inability to stay healthy". First injury was a high ankle sprain that happened while he was blocking, just a football injury. Not quite sure what the second was, otherwise than a knee. I don't think that's a matter of injury prone. If he comes back next year and it the same story, might have to look at it a bit different.

He missed over 1/3 of the season with injury, and seemed to play just 2-3 plays in a row most of the time when he was healthy.  I remember many times wondering why he was raising his hand and taking himself out of games for a couple of plays. I don't see him as a durable guy at all.  "Football injury" or not.  

We close another chapter on Indiana football.  After the sting of the bitter loss faded overnight, I have to admit I think we are on the right track. Wilson did enough to deserve the extension to keep us moving forward. He has been bit with the injury bug to key player(s) almost every year of his tenure.  We are a decent defense and a healthy team away from bigger and better things.  The offense is among the best in the nation. The defense is young and will mature and continue to improve as we recruit better athletes. I hope this year was the turning point for IU FBall---the team should hold their heads up high as they proved they could play with anybody.  Next year---hopefully they start turning more of those close losses into W's! Go Hoosiers! Proud of you...

what a great venue to play a bowl in. Great weather vs.El Paso TX!

It is cool meeting other posters in person. Looked like a decent crowd-37,000.

I think we may increase our win total for next year. Lots of good looking RB's/WR's. And we get some defensive guys back. 

Hell of an entertaining season down to the final seconds. After so many seasons of turning off games after half time, it was amazing to see 12 of 13 games being fun games to watch. Just need to get over that Penn State hump. Great season and looking forward to the next.