Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

PrideofFeeLane

(2017) G Jalen Adaway

You should come to Kokomo when they play on the 9th of January, I plan on going to that one (kokomo grad)

You should come to Kokomo when they play on the 9th of January, I plan on going to that one (kokomo grad)

Just might have to do that.  Be a good opportunity to eat at Mike's Pizza.

So I was at Bankers Life last night to watch Adaway and Logansport take on Twin Lakes. (We live in Monticello and my wife graduated from Twin Lakes). This kids athleticism is unreal. He made a back door cut early in the first half and rose up for a huge slam. He had another dunk off an alley oop late in the game. He had several blocks and steals that were plays only elite athletes can make. He hit some jumpers, probably an area he still needs to improve on. But he looked like he enjoyed guarding somebody. Wouldn't mind see him get an IU offer if he continually improves.

So I was at Bankers Life last night to watch Adaway and Logansport take on Twin Lakes. (We live in Monticello and my wife graduated from Twin Lakes). This kids athleticism is unreal. He made a back door cut early in the first half and rose up for a huge slam. He had another dunk off an alley oop late in the game. He had several blocks and steals that were plays only elite athletes can make. He hit some jumpers, probably an area he still needs to improve on. But he looked like he enjoyed guarding somebody. Wouldn't mind see him get an IU offer if he continually improves.

Ya i thought he had an off night shooting. He has been consistently knocking them down all year but does still need to improve some. I think he really made up for it by focusing on the defensive side of the ball and rebounding instead of just continuing to chuck up shots. He was literally grabbing boards at the rim. From all the games I have seen he really is a team player and is always looking to get guys looks. Twin Lakes has a hell of a squad too.

For the record, Logansport beat Twin Lakes 60 - 49 in, to be polite, a uniquely officiated game.  Whistle happy refs really made a mess of any game flow.  2 Logansport starters fouled out and 2 other starters end the game with 4 fouls each.  But it went both ways as Logansport hit 24 of 28 free throws.  Maybe the most unique call was Adaway skying and hanging on the rim to avoid dropping right on the back of a Twin Lakes player and Adaway getting a "T" for hanging on the rim.   He finished with 17 points hitting on 10 of 11 from the foul line.  He had 9 rebounds and 4 blocks.  Don't know what the final FG % was for either team, but I think both had trouble adjusting to the openness behind the backboards.

Adaway's problem is that Logansport's coach has two sons that are on the team that have no business being on the court and he plays them an excessive amount and cares more about his kids doing well then developing his team and helping Adeway reach his potential. Same thing happened last year cause the coach had a son that was a senior. The sky is the limit for Adaway though.

Adaway's problem is that Logansport's coach has two sons that are on the team that have no business being on the court and he plays them an excessive amount and cares more about his kids doing well then developing his team and helping Adeway reach his potential. Same thing happened last year cause the coach had a son that was a senior. The sky is the limit for Adaway though.

Disagree 100%. Logansport is a small school by 4A standards and due to that, someone Adaway's size belongs in the post (he is the 2nd tallest on the team. Instead, Logan's coach starts him at the 2 guard, gives him the green light shooting, and runs the offense through him. Sounds like a coach who realizes he has a special talent and knows Adaway's future is as a guard/wing at the collegiate level, regardless of what his specific team needs are.

Thoughts, BlueDevil2aHoosier?

Disagree 100%. Logansport is a small school by 4A standards and due to that, someone Adaway's size belongs in the post (he is the 2nd tallest on the team. Instead, Logan's coach starts him at the 2 guard, gives him the green light shooting, and runs the offense through him. Sounds like a coach who realizes he has a special talent and knows Adaway's future is as a guard/wing at the collegiate level, regardless of what his specific team needs are.

I agree here I think Skaggs has an outstanding job handling Jalen. He still affecting a lot of shots inside on the defensive side of the ball and really think the offense is more fluent with him on the wing as a playmaker. I think the freshman Skaggs has earned every bit of playing time he has gotten so far this year and will continue to get more as he should. The kid can ball. I don't think either of them are like the recently graduated brother but time will tell. Logan really needs to find that third scorer though to go far when it counts.

No way does he belong in the post. A good coach plays to his strengths and this year Skaggs has finally decided to allow Adaway to play on the wing and handle the ball. Last year he forced him to play only in the post and wouldn't let him shoot outside and the team struggled when that occurred. Skaggs based the offense around his son (who only shot threes and didn't play a smidge of D). Logansport has never had a player at Adawa's skill level before so its been exciting to watch. They have a few freshman players that will be the future of the program and get passed up for playing time so that the coach can play his kids.

I will be interested to see how Logansport (and Adaway) do when they eventually play some talented 4A schools.

No way does he belong in the post. A good coach plays to his strengths and this year Skaggs has finally decided to allow Adaway to play on the wing and handle the ball. Last year he forced him to play only in the post and wouldn't let him shoot outside and the team struggled when that occurred. Skaggs based the offense around his son (who only shot threes and didn't play a smidge of D). Logansport has never had a player at Adawa's skill level before so its been exciting to watch. They have a few freshman players that will be the future of the program and get passed up for playing time so that the coach can play his kids.

I will be interested to see how Logansport (and Adaway) do when they eventually play some talented 4A schools.

January gonna be tough we will see if they deserve to be 7th in 4A

Given that there is no front court depth on the team (and that Logansport has decent guards), it would be an easy decision to put Adaway's big body/defensive presence in the post. However, I'll state it again, Skaggs has Adaway's best interest (potential) in mind and allows him to play as a guard and ball handler as he needs this experience for the next level.

Your posts make me wonder if you have watched the team this year (I know you moved away from Cass County recently) as Sam and Jack Skaggs undoubtedly belong on the court. Sam has been a great addition to the starting lineup recently and Jack adds a toughness that I've yet to see from anyone else (excluding Jalen and MJ) on this year's squad. Who are you proposing takes minutes away from the Skaggs' boys? Sounds like you're advocating for Penny and Platt which would be a mistake in my opinion.

Again, if you're basing your opinions of Skaggs' coaching ability/decisions on Carter's play last year, I'll agree with you but Jack and Sam deserve major minutes on this year's team.

Lastly, Logansport has had players of Adaway's caliber before. Lozier was a 1976 All-Stater (basketball and football) who went to Michigan and Caleb Springer was second team all state in 1996. Adaway is not far superior to either.

Given that there is no front court depth on the team (and that Logansport has decent guards), it would be an easy decision to put Adaway's big body/defensive presence in the post. However, I'll state it again, Skaggs has Adaway's best interest (potential) in mind and allows him to play as a guard and ball handler as he needs this experience for the next level.

Your posts make me wonder if you have watched the team this year (I know you moved away from Cass County recently) as Sam and Jack Skaggs undoubtedly belong on the court. Sam has been a great addition to the starting lineup recently and Jack adds a toughness that I've yet to see from anyone else (excluding Jalen and MJ) on this year's squad. Who are you proposing takes minutes away from the Skaggs' boys? Sounds like you're advocating for Penny and Platt which would be a mistake in my opinion.

Again, if you're basing your opinions of Skaggs' coaching ability/decisions on Carter's play last year, I'll agree with you but Jack and Sam deserve major minutes on this year's team.

Lastly, Logansport has had players of Adaway's caliber before. Lozier was a 1976 All-Stater (basketball and football) who went to Michigan and Caleb Springer was second team all state in 1996. Adaway is not far superior to either.

A bit interesting (creepy?) that you knew that I moved recently? hahaha

I just think it would be smart to develop Penny and Platt as they are most likely the future. Especially Penny cause the kid has a bright future. I can see the younger Skaggs playing but Jack is just a trouble maker out there too often (lots of arguing with officials and whining about calls). but I respect your opinion. Its just hard for me to agree with how Scaggs plays his lineups cause he has always had the tendency to sit more valuable players to play other kids last year. 

As far as my Adaway comment, I meant in recent history Logan hasn't had a player of his caliber. You back my point up with your mention of the two players because 96 was the last time we had a all state caliber player for the boys squad. Like BlueDevil2aHoosier stated though, its going to get really interesting when they start playing some caliber 4A schools. Im glad to see them playing well though. There wasn't much to root for when I was in high school so its nice to root for them now (even from a distance at times haha)

I guess I'm not watching carefully enough but I haven't noticed anything whatsoever from either Jack or Sam that remotely resembles their older brother's chronic whining and waving bye-bye as his man drove around him.  In fact, to me, Jack seems to be a very unemotional player on the court and more willing to mix it up underneath than Carter ever was.

A bit interesting (creepy?) that you knew that I moved recently? hahaha

I just think it would be smart to develop Penny and Platt as they are most likely the future. Especially Penny cause the kid has a bright future. I can see the younger Skaggs playing but Jack is just a trouble maker out there too often (lots of arguing with officials and whining about calls). but I respect your opinion. Its just hard for me to agree with how Scaggs plays his lineups cause he has always had the tendency to sit more valuable players to play other kids last year. 

As far as my Adaway comment, I meant in recent history Logan hasn't had a player of his caliber. You back my point up with your mention of the two players because 96 was the last time we had a all state caliber player for the boys squad. Like BlueDevil2aHoosier stated though, its going to get really interesting when they start playing some caliber 4A schools. Im glad to see them playing well though. There wasn't much to root for when I was in high school so its nice to root for them now (even from a distance at times haha)

I try to keep an eye out for posts by Cass/Howard County area residents, I'm thinking I saw you say you moved to AZ (?) in the Maui ticket thread as I was in Maui as well. Could be wrong on the thread but definitely saw it on here.

I've liked what I've seen from Penny and Platt and think they could be very valuable to next year's squad but, in my opinion, the Skaggs boys are more polished players at this point. I think Jack brings the same toughness Platt does but with better shooting. Likewise, I think Sam brings better basketball IQ, ball handling, and court vision than Penny with similar shooting ability. I hope all of them improve tremendously this year because next year's team could be scary.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Pat Skaggs. I understand the frustration with Carter last year but I've liked most of his moves this year (including benching Bullard recently). I don't think this year's team is incredibly talented but they are undefeated going into 2016 and have a lot of fight in them (usually indicative of the HC's attitude/culture). In fact, I'll go as far as saying I think there were a few teams in the early 2000s that were more talented than this year's squad (think Tribbett/Rombold/Wildermuth/Dietrich/Smith, Champion/Baldini/Jennings/Raisor years) but those teams ultimately under-performed. Again, to me, the coach is responsible for much of a team's success and just as responsible for its failings. I think we're watching a more well coached team now than we were in the Victor, Skeeter, and (possibly) Rhodes era.

All in all, your last point summed it up well. It's really neat to watch a solid product on the floor for the Berries as it's been a good while since that was the case. Now hopefully Johnson can turn the Berries football program around.

Cheers to a Hoosiers W today.