Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

Indiana vs Duke Game Thread

Does it matter what they are? Do we want to be just another top 25 team? Which we aren't even that right now. Or do we want to be elite? Elite teams don't lose that much on the road or neutral sites.

They don't? Do you have stats to support that? I legitimately don't know.

Does it matter what they are? Do we want to be just another top 25 team? Which we aren't even that right now. Or do we want to be elite? Elite teams don't lose that much on the road or neutral sites.

I would have to see what other schools top 25 road wins numbers are before I drawl to big of conclusion because let's face it it isn't easy to beat a quality team on the road. That being said we should be better

I think you're both right. Does it much matter how other teams fare on the road? No. That doesn't make us any better. But, it's also an interesting exercise which again, sheds light on the numbers we're putting stock in.

I grabbed a random representative team (well, I grabbed Duke because I already had Indiana open in KenPom and they were right there) and a random year (this really was random).

In 2014, Duke went 24-7 in the regular season. They played 14 games on neutral or away courts. All 7 losses came during these games. These include losses to 3 top-25 teams, 2 top-50, and a 99 and 118. They had 1 away win against a top-25 team, number 19 Pittsburgh. 1 neutral win against a top-25, (15) UCLA.

That was interesting so...

2013, Duke 27-4 regular season. Played so many neutral court games I can't even be bothered to count them. Was Cameron under construction? 9 away games (all conference). 4 losses to teams ranked between 14 and 48. Of the 5 away wins, highest ranked was UNC at 32nd. Next was NC state at 34. 

I shouldn't have counted neutral sites in the first ones. They just play so many and I'm not up to the task of looking at 5 or 6 neutral sites in addition to the aways.

2012, 26-5 regular season. 11 away games. Lost 2 (2) OSU and (43) Temple. Won 9. Highest ranked UNC (6) (who then beat them at home) then Florida St (25). Otherwise no one exciting.

Well, I'm going to get back to work. I'd say the only conclusion we can draw for sure is that basketball has a crazy home advantage.

Just a shame because Duke is so young and we SHOULD have a legit shot for an upset. As was mentioned earlier we aren't near disciplined enough to pull the upset. If we hit a bunch of threes I expect us to be in the game. If we aren't hitting it will be ugly.

Sorry BlueDevil. I cannot stand the Duke student section. They are the most obnoxious fan base out there.

They can also be clever though.

Years ago, Detlif Schremf's college team played there. After he whiffed badly on a free throw, they started chanting Air Ball in German.

It made even him laugh.

Just a shame because Duke is so young and we SHOULD have a legit shot for an upset. As was mentioned earlier we aren't near disciplined enough to pull the upset. If we hit a bunch of threes I expect us to be in the game. If we aren't hitting it will be ugly.

I know we are not playing well but we still have a legit shot imo. I mean we could score a bunch and try to guard the basket a lot better and pull the game out. Not likely but I can see it happening.

1.31 years of experience if anyone was curious. We have 1.76. Duke has the same experience level as our 2011 squad and is .33 years more experienced than our team last year. In the bottom 60 schools in terms of experience. For reference points, Kentucky has .88 years and Ohio State has .78 (one Junior, no seniors, 4 sophomores, 5 freshman).

Oh course, we only count players who play at least 10% of possessions.

They can also be clever though.

Years ago, Detlif Schremf's college team played there. After he whiffed badly on a free throw, they started chanting Air Ball in German.

It made even him laugh.

I love the fans at Cameron. They're some of my favorite in college basketball, probably ahead of our fans at the moment. They coordinate well, they have relatively clever chants and cheers, and they do stuff like that.

I've complained about our student sections absolute lack of coordination before. We don't even have crib sheets! I mean, come on, it's like we aren't even trying. Heck, I've been told to sit down in the Indiana student section during an upset. Told to sit down. By a student. In the student section. During an upset.

We have fallen a long way since we told some old people to stand up. Personally, I would eliminate all chairs unless you tell them you're physically incapable of standing for two hours. Maybe add some benches in the hallway.

Closest white dude we have had that resembles JJ Redick since he was at Duke. Maybe that's the hate.

so much more athletic than JJ. Not as good of a shooter yet. The hate is a jealousy thing IMO. Dude is killing it. Looks like the Everyman. Easy to hate those at the top. Everyone hates UNC, DUKE, Kansas, UK.

Nobody cares much about Purdue, Clemson, Pitt, Xavier except rivals.

Luke Kennard is going to be the next stud white player. Tons of game. Would have taken him over most 2015 recruits.

so much more athletic than JJ. Not as good of a shooter yet. The hate is a jealousy thing IMO. Dude is killing it. Looks like the Everyman. Easy to hate those at the top. Everyone hates UNC, DUKE, Kansas, UK.

Nobody cares much about Purdue, Clemson, Pitt, Xavier except rivals.

Luke Kennard is going to be the next stud white player. Tons of game. Would have taken him over most 2015 recruits.

Luke finally settling in after a rough start to the year. Dude can stroke.

grayson-allen1.jpg
I tell you I'm conflicted there's something I like about him and yet something I hate.

Let's reflect on every IU player you've obsessed over, and all of a sudden the "something" you like becomes quite clear.