Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

troym

assistant coaches

I'm not worried about Wilson leaving for a new job, But what about some of our assistant coaches? I would hate to lose Frey  or Mculoch(not sure on spelling). I would imagine they would be high on the list for some of the openings on the staffs at some big time schools. Should Glass hand out some raises quickly to keep our staff together?

I'm not worried about Wilson leaving for a new job, But what about some of our assistant coaches? I would hate to lose Frey or Mculoch(not sure on spelling). I would imagine they would be high on the list for some of the openings on the staffs at some big time schools. Should Glass hand out some raises quickly to keep our staff together?

I think the coaches stay and get the pay raises. I think Wilson preaches family and they have bought in and yes it is a business..... But these assistants are also the recruiting gurus

An extension is also a good opportunity for CKW to ask for additional investments for the program to better compete, maybe increased recruiting budget, fast forward the southern end zone enclosure project among others. Although CKW has spoken multiple times about how he has been happy with the department's support.

McCullough played for CKW at Miami, but I fear that loyalty is near the end. He was all but out the door to ND last year before the Irish convinced alum Autry Denson to come back. He'll be hard to keep, others will come calling.

Frey has had several offers but is  good friends with CKW. Everybody has a price tho. Really hope we throw some $$ his way.

Fairly confident we can keep Johns with a well deserved pay bump.

I'm willing to give Knorr one more season to prove himself, our secondary should be markedly improved next season. But if he took a gig elsewhere, I won't lose any sleep.

I would give CKW an extension and a raise for him and all the assistants sans Knorr.

So you're giving Shelby and Joseph raises, but not Knorr?

Ninja Edit: I didn't mean for this to come across as obnoxious, just don't think we could get away with that.

Yep. So Knorr can leave and Glass can spend some money and get a strong DC here.

Firing Knorr would manage to look better to future hires. I say manage, because it would absolutely look terrible to keep our revolving door going and many good hires don't want to join that kind of thing. But, somehow, firing him would be a better choice than telling everyone else they get a raise and hoping he quits. I don't think even the DC at Bloomington South would get involved then. Would you work for a company who did that to your predecessor?

Bottom line is if you like the way the defense performs, that's your prerogative. I don't and believe that a "defensive" coordinator should be held accountable.

Given the full breadth of circumstances, it's too soon to get rid of the DC.  After two years?  Switching defense schemes in the process?  IMO he gets two more years to show improvement.  Give's him time to get his guys in.  

We've already discussed that we have some pretty good players sitting out this year.  Add those to Fant's add'l year of experience (and hopefully a few more pounds)...I expect improvements next year.  Not top-10 or anything, but definite improvements in statistical categories.  

Bottom line is if you like the way the defense performs, that's your prerogative. I don't and believe that a "defensive" coordinator should be held accountable.

My point is that shouldn't you be going after Shelby? He's been here since day one. Knorr had a top 30 D with similar talent at Wake, and it was only his second year here this season.

Given the full breadth of circumstances, it's too soon to get rid of the DC. After two years? Switching defense schemes in the process? IMO he gets two more years to show improvement. Give's him time to get his guys in.

We've already discussed that we have some pretty good players sitting out this year. Add those to Fant's add'l year of experience (and hopefully a few more pounds)...I expect improvements next year. Not top-10 or anything, but definite improvements in statistical categories.

Now that's the reasonable response I was expecting. The fact that he's only been on the job two years. I understand that point even if I disagree. Statistical rankings can be deceiving. Wake doesn't compete in the BIG East Division. I suspect, his defensive rank would not be as high with that Wake team if they played in the BIG East. (Oops, that response was for RBB)The unfortunate reality is IU does play in this division. In many cases, you get what you pay for. With that said, I would like to see an upgrade at DC, but it would come with a price. When you've seen bad IU football defenses for years, it gets tiresome. Just glad they made it to a Bowl Game this year!

That's a fair point. Maybe there should be an upgrade there also. MI and PSU are only going to get better and MSU and O$U aren't going anywhere. To finally beat some of those teams, we have to improve the defense.

Now that's the reasonable response I was expecting. The fact that he's only been on the job two years. I understand that point even if I disagree. Statistical rankings can be deceiving. Wake doesn't compete in the BIG East Division. I suspect, his defensive rank would not be as high with that Wake team if they played in the BIG East. (Oops, that response was for RBB)The unfortunate reality is IU does play in this division. In many cases, you get what you pay for. With that said, I would like to see an upgrade at DC, but it would come with a price. When you've seen bad IU football defenses for years, it gets tiresome. Just glad they made it to a Bowl Game this year!

Well, in support of the third year theory...

Wake Forest's defense on footballoutsiders (so adjusted for opponents) for his first, second, and third years.

83, 90, 34