Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU Baseball 2016 Recruiting Class

Miller will become first Boonville pitcher to hit Big Ten in nearly 20 years

By Gordon Engelhardt of the Courier and Press

Boonville (IN) High School's 6-foot-3 junior right-hander Lane Miller doesn't take his stature lightly. He will become the first Pioneer to play in the Big Ten since Ryan McKinney pitched for Purdue from 1994-96.

"It's a blessing to be the first Big Ten (baseball player) to come out of Boonville in nearly 20 years," said Miller, who has made an oral commitment to play for Indiana University. "I think it helps our school out and helps the community realize what is going on. It's something that the younger athletes can look up to and set their mind to and one day achieve that goal. I think it is an honor and is something I couldn't do without the team and people I have been around."

Boonville coach Cory Julian said Miller did not get the results he deserved as he posted a 1.90 earned run average in 2015, finishing with a 3-4 record. But that started to change last Friday when he gained the win in a 7-3 victory over defending Class 2A state champion South Spencer, knocking the Rebels from the unbeaten ranks.

"Our defense was making big plays when big plays need to be made," said Miller, who allowed two earned runs while walking two and striking out nine in going the distance. "We were getting a lot of first-pitch strikes so that makes it a lot easier to mix up pitches. It gave me a lot of confidence knowing how I can do against a big-name team and knowing what I can do when it needs to be done. I think it has also boosted the rest of the guys' confidence also."

Julian said Miller will get his next start either Tuesday at home against Perry Central or Thursday at Forest Park. Miller caught IU's attention by hitting 90 mph on the radar gun last summer.

"IU saw a real live arm," Julian said. "Another thing is he throws his slider so hard."

A pair of other area pitchers, Jasper senior Cal Krueger and Reitz junior Elijah Dunham have committed to the Hoosiers. Miller said he was immediately impressed by IU's coaching staff.

"When I got to know them and they started reaching out, to me I knew it was a perfect fit," he said.

Another article about next season's incoming class which according Perfect Game, "Indiana has compiled the No. 28 recruiting class in the country for 2016. Indiana's class is by far the highest-ranked in the Big Ten, with Michigan being the closest to IU at No. 57.  It's an improvement from last year, when IU's class ranked No. 53 nationally and sixth in the Big Ten." 

http://indiana.247sports.com/Bolt/Baseball-recruiting-class-ranked-in-top-30-45666670

Another article about next season's incoming class which according Perfect Game, "Indiana has compiled the No. 28 recruiting class in the country for 2016. Indiana's class is by far the highest-ranked in the Big Ten, with Michigan being the closest to IU at No. 57.  It's an improvement from last year, when IU's class ranked No. 53 nationally and sixth in the Big Ten." 

http://indiana.247sports.com/Bolt/Baseball-recruiting-class-ranked-in-top-30-45666670

Love hearing this. This freshman class this season and next will be a fun one to watch grow.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 10/31/2016 at 3:11 PM, hsrtxp said:

Where is this historically for us? While I follow baseball some I couldn't tell you where we've been in the recruiting mix.

It's one our best for now according to PG and we lost Szynski/Suwinski to the draft. These rankings exclude all players that leave early and I don't have the time to do the math, but the '11 class (Schwarber and Travis) was probably the best. D1 Baseball just came out a few years ago.

Perfect Game Class Rankings

2011 - 55

2012 - 88

2013 - 100

2014 - 50

2015 - 53

2016 - 36

On 10/31/2016 at 3:40 PM, ccgeneral said:
It's one our best for now according to PG and we lost Szynski/Suwinski to the draft. These rankings exclude all players that leave early and I don't have the time to do the math, but the '11 class (Schwarber and Travis) was probably the best. D1 Baseball just came out a few years ago.

Perfect Game Class Rankings

2011 - 55

2012 - 88

2013 - 100

2014 - 50

2015 - 53

2016 - 36

Thanks. That's a strong steady rise since 2013!