Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Feathery

New Coach Salary And Criteria...$5 million?

Sean Miller is obviously impressive and I would take him at first glance, but if you dig deeper, his lack of deep tournament success is going to cause some to be less than enthusiastic about him.

He has a very good Arizona team this year as well, but if they get bounced in the Sweet 16 again this year, do we really want to put him in the top tier of candidates?

He's been to the Elite 8 four times, but never to a Final 4.  Fwiw I still say he would be a resounding YES, but I could see some people having reservations about someone who has never taken a team further than an Elite 8 despite having loads of talent.

Sean Miller is obviously impressive and I would take him at first glance, but if you dig deeper, his lack of deep tournament success is going to cause some to be less than enthusiastic about him.

He has a very good Arizona team this year as well, but if they get bounced in the Sweet 16 again this year, do we really want to put him in the top tier of candidates?

He's been to the Elite 8 four times, but never to a Final 4. Fwiw I still say he would be a resounding YES, but I could see some people having reservations about someone who has never taken a team further than an Elite 8 despite having loads of talent.

I would say no.

We all said the same about Crean but his mannerisms clashed with people. This is during the rebuild. People weren't talking about his coaching. He just isn't a Hoosier. Stevens is. I think that truly matters to quite a few people.

Even when we are the number 1 team in the country. Number 1 offense. Most of the year top 25 defense people were quick to jump any time we lost. So before the Sweet 16 winning didn't matter. Some just don't like Crean. Which is fine. We need Stevens or we are going to be doing this again in 7 years.

i agree a bit but I think there are some important details that you are missing here. Crean had the support of 90% of the fan base but that waned as the rebuild took 4 years and he proved in his first 3 years of losing that he was flawed as a coach. He showed that he wouldn't adjust his style to the players on his rosters abilities. He showed that he couldn't teach defense, that he couldn't teach players how to inbound the ball, he showed that his substitution patterns made no sense, he showed that he couldn't draw up a winning play, he showed that his program was a revolving door... The list goes on. So, by the time he had a winning team in year 4, he had lost an additional 20% that had zero faith he was the right guy.

Those 20-30% he lost were loud even when we were winning in those two years and kept telling the rest of us that he was a flawed coach. Then that group left and we were back in a rebuild again where his flaws were back on full display, his program was still a revolving door and now his players were getting arrested. Those 20-30% said I told you so and over the past 2.5 seasons we have watched those 20-30% grow to what I would guess is close to 75%.

He had the vast majority of support in the beginning and lost it over time due to his own deficiencies. I don't believe for one second that if he had continued the success of 11/12, with 12/13 and then never regressed again with four sweet 16s in a row or better would many care about his clapping or tan or other bs.

This isn't about IU fans, it's about him as a coach and he has proven over his long coaching tenure that he is good, not even close to great and that is not what we expect at IU.

I still think the key to getting Brad Stevens to IU is Tracy Stevens. You know, "Happy wife, happy life." When Brad got the Celtics' job, Tracy expressed her love for Indianapolis and Butler. I'm sure there was some sadness in leaving. But I also saw the excitement in her eyes and heard it in her voice when she talked about Boston. It was a move up the ladder in many respects for the Stevens' family, not just the money. I don't know if Indiana family and friends are all that important to Tracy. She's from Cleveland, not Indianapolis. So what will make her say to Brad, "Let's go to IU!"?

I still think the key to getting Brad Stevens to IU is Tracy Stevens. You know, "Happy wife, happy life." When Brad got the Celtics' job, Tracy expressed her love for Indianapolis and Butler. I'm sure there was some sadness in leaving. But I also saw the excitement in her eyes and heard it in her voice when she talked about Boston. It was a move up the ladder in many respects for the Stevens' family, not just the money. I don't know if Indiana family and friends are all that important to Tracy. She's from Cleveland, not Indianapolis. So what will make her say to Brad, "Let's go to IU!"?

She's definitely the biggest puzzle piece.

He brings consistency and an opportunity for a final four. Clear upgrade over our current situation. Not even close IMO.

He brings consistency in recruiting not tournament results.

i agree a bit but I think there are some important details that you are missing here. Crean had the support of 90% of the fan base but that waned as the rebuild took 4 years and he proved in his first 3 years of losing that he was flawed as a coach. He showed that he wouldn't adjust his style to the players on his rosters abilities. He showed that he couldn't teach defense, that he couldn't teach players how to inbound the ball, he showed that his substitution patterns made no sense, he showed that he couldn't draw up a winning play, he showed that his program was a revolving door... The list goes on. So, by the time he had a winning team in year 4, he had lost an additional 20% that had zero faith he was the right guy.

Those 20-30% he lost were loud even when we were winning in those two years and kept telling the rest of us that he was a flawed coach. Then that group left and we were back in a rebuild again where his flaws were back on full display, his program was still a revolving door and now his players were getting arrested. Those 20-30% said I told you so and over the past 2.5 seasons we have watched those 20-30% grow to what I would guess is close to 75%.

He had the vast majority of support in the beginning and lost it over time due to his own deficiencies. I don't believe for one second that if he had continued the success of 11/12, with 12/13 and then never regressed again with four sweet 16s in a row or better would many care about his clapping or tan or other bs.

This isn't about IU fans, it's about him as a coach and he has proven over his long coaching tenure that he is good, not even close to great and that is not what we expect at IU.

If he couldn't coach any as semblance of defense how did we end up with a top 30 defense in 12/13? My thing is the players run things now. They don't fear him. He should be gone. The years you are talking about were the years people mocked his tan, oddities, and drinking habits. They only had that cause we were winning. When we started losing they got away from that.

Honestly?   The fan base is so negative and vitriolic, I'm not sure people would see Indiana as a great situation.  Maybe they can see through it (I hope), but the more Indiana loses, and the more Crean is exposed, the louder things get and the less attractive things may seem around here.    I'm guilty, so I'm not accusing anyone else; but these are really smart people.   I hold out hope; however I'm going to try to stop the attacks on Crean beyond what actually happens on the floor.   Call it a December pledge.

Honestly?   The fan base is so negative and vitriolic, I'm not sure people would see Indiana as a great situation.  Maybe they can see through it (I hope), but the more Indiana loses, and the more Crean is exposed, the louder things get and the less attractive things may seem around here.    I'm guilty, so I'm not accusing anyone else; but these are really smart people.   I hold out hope; however I'm going to try to stop the attacks on Crean beyond what actually happens on the floor.   Call it a December pledge.

The fanbase is anti crean though.  The fact that we are loud is a good thing its means we still care.  Its apathy and quiet that a coach doesn't want. 

If he couldn't coach any as semblance of defense how did we end up with a top 30 defense in 12/13? My thing is the players run things now. They don't fear him. He should be gone. The years you are talking about were the years people mocked his tan, oddities, and drinking habits. They only had that cause we were winning. When we started losing they got away from that.

Because we had players who were individually great defenders.  There was no team defense. 

I think the counter argument is that the worse it becomes at IU, the more attractive the job could be because whoever is next in line will be viewed as a savior for at least 2 years.  The next coach certainly won't be in the position of following a beloved and revered coach.

Because we had players who were individually great defenders. There was no team defense.

Watford, Yogi as a frosh, and Hulls... Really? Plus I wouldn't consider Zeller a great defender. But he was smart and good in a team defense. So I definitely disagree there.

He brings consistency in recruiting not tournament results.

He's made 4 elite 8's, including the last 2 seasons. Both times running into the Wisconsin Badgers. That's not making a final four but that's knocking on the darn door much more than our coach has. You keep knocking and eventual you find yourself on the other side. He's also never had a once in a generation type player like Dwayne Wade to carry him there with triple doubles. Miller is a far better coach all across the board and less than 1% of anyone who watches college basketball closely, would argue against that. Sean Miller IMO is a guy who is just getting warmed up.

He's made 4 elite 8's, including the last 2 seasons. Both times running into the Wisconsin Badgers. That's not making a final four but that's knocking on the darn door much more than our coach has. You keep knocking and eventual you find yourself on the other side. He's also never had a once in a generation type player like Dwayne Wade to carry him there with triple doubles. Miller is a far better coach all across the board and less than 1% of anyone who watches college basketball closely, would argue against that. Sean Miller IMO is a guy who is just getting warmed up.

I am sorry but I get so tired of the Wade argument.  Say Wade didn't have his issues out of high school, how would he have been ranked?  How many top 20 players does Sean Miller have?  How have his classes been ranked?  You are going to come at me in a team game with one player?  You are telling me he couldn't have been double or triple teamed?  Generational talent?  He wasn't flipping Allen Iverson, Christian Laettner, or MJ in college.  He put up solid numbers that people put up in college every year.  Sean Miller is getting his picks of talent out West because nobody out there can compete with him and Arizona in recruiting West of the Mississippi.  Elite 8s.  Congrats.  Its like Bo at Wisky.  Up until he made the Final 4 everyone here was impressed with his regular season run, but wouldn't want him as their coach due to his tournamtent success.  That is Sean Miller to me.  Congrats, he can recruit out West, and win in the Pac135.  There are mid-majors harder than the Pac12 right now.  If we got him, I would be underwhelmed.

You listed 3 starters, where as now we have 5 starters not playing D.  2 people actually playing defense can mean the world of difference. 

So... We have a top 30 defense.  One lockdown defender.  You are saying we didn't have a good team defense?  You really think Vic defended all 5 people at once?  We had to have a team defense.  We have a frosh Yogi, Jordy, and CWat on the floor.  Seriously, you are going to argue we didn't have a good team defense with those 3 players playing 25+ minutes a game with Zeller inside?  We had ONE lockdown defender.  That won't give you a top 30 d.