Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

seanmm1971

IU Track and Field

Hoosiers Turn in Season Best Performance

Nakel McClinton continued her record-breaking season by, again, besting her own mark with a throw of 20.96m (68-9.25ft) in the weight throw. She is now top ten nationally in the event. Sophie Gutermuth, competing unattached, won the pole vault with a Gladstein record mark of 4.41m (14-5.5ft). That mark also qualifies her for the Olympic Trials. Sydney Clute took second with a mark of 4.11m (13-5.75ft). Ari Nelson and Aailyah Armsted both hit the mark of 5.71m (18-9ft) in the long jump. Armsted won the tie-breaker by way of her second best jump.

Daniel Kuhn beat his school record in the 800m run with a time of 1:47.83. His time is third in the Big Ten and 12th in the country. Jason Crist crossed first in the 3,000m run with a time of 7:56.98. He is ranked eighth nationally, first in the Big Ten, and seventh in school history.

Andrew Miller built off of last weekend's success in the weight throw by winning the event with a season best mark of 19.88m (65-2.75ft). Dyrek Chowning took second in the event with a mark of 19.13m (62-9.25ft). Willie Morrison earned a first place finish in the shot put with a mark of 17.34m (56-10.75ft). Chowning placed third with a season best mark of 16.27m (53-5.5). Paul Galas posted the top height in the high jump with a mark of 1.99m (6-6.25ft). Terry Batemon posted a season best mark of 5.11m (19-9.25ft) in a second place finish in the pole vault.

In the 60m final Brittany Thomas took third with a time of 7.66. She also placed third in the 200m dash with a time of 25.00. Keri Ertel won her heat of the 400m dash with a season best time of 58.67, she finished third overall. Jeyland Valentin finished second in the 400m dash with a mark time of 57.31. In the 400m fast section Riley Egbula took second with a season best time of 56.33. Former Hoosier, and Olympic hopeful, Molly Ludlow (Beckwith) won the 600m run. The next four spots in the event were taken by the Hoosiers. Kendell Wiles was second, Taylor Wiley third, Mackenzie Bollinger in fourth, and Taylor Williams finished fifth.

Olivia Hippensteel and Kellie Davis finished first and second in the 800m run. Olivia's winning time of 2:11.53 is a season best. Davis also set a new season best with a time of 2:12.15. Haley Harris and Kelsey Harris finished third and fourth in the fast section of the mile with season low marks of 4:52.98 and 4:54.10, respectively. Katherine Receveur set a new season best with a winning time of 9:40.17. Amanda Behnke took second with a time of 9:41.34.
A huge last lap completed the come-from-behind victory in the mile for Jordan Huntoon in the first heat. He finished with a season low time of 4:12.65. Owen Skeete took first in the fast section of the mile with a season best time of 4:05.48. Markevious Roach won the fast section of the 400m with a time of 48.45. In his Hoosier debut Tyler Bellaire finished fifth in the 60m finals with a time of 6.99. Bryce Millar, competing unattached, won his heat of the 3,000m run with a time of 8:20.81.

Indiana's relay teams dominated the meet. Both the men's and the women's finished first in the DMR. The men's team of Joe Murphy, Adam Wallace, Eric Claxton, and Connor Martin crossed the line with a time of 10:05.97. The women's team that consisted of Madison Stenger, Valentin, Davis and Hippensteel finished with a time of 11:57.23. The 4x400m relay teams also swept the top spots. The men's team of Zach Reitzug, Kuhn, Diquis Manley, and Roach finished with a season best effort of 3:12.63. The women's team of Egbula, Wiles, Wiley, and Sydney Anderson won with a time of 3:48.15.

The Hoosiers will be back in action next weekend when they head back up to South Bend to participate in the Alex Wilson Invitational.

Iuhoosiers.com

Excelling in the Classroom and on the Track

Feb. 17, 2016 Track and Field
By: Tori Ziege | Twitter
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Before Nakel McClinton started to find success in the weight throw, before she launched the longest toss in Indiana history, not once, not twice but for a third time at last weekend's Hoosier Hills Invitational, she always took pride in her grades.

The school record holder and redshirt junior has maintained a 3.8 GPA every semester since graduating high school.

"Even when my athletic performances weren't going well, my GPA has always been constant," she said. "I know that my grades will always cheer me up."

Student-athlete is a two-part word, but in the discussion of collegiate athletics, the first part is often left off. At halftime of Thursday's men's basketball game, four members of the IU track and field team were recognized for their merits as students.

McClinton, junior Olivia Hippensteel, sophomore Zach Reitzug and redshirt junior Matt Schwartzer took the court along with members of all 24 IU sports as this year's recipients of the IU Varsity Club Scholastic Achievement Award, given to the student-athlete with the highest GPA of any member of their respective team.

Looking across the men's and women's track teams, the best athletes also tend to have the best grades, McClinton said. It's a mindset head coach Ron Helmer has tried to instill in his teams — that success is largely a reflection of effort.

"Most of academics isn't about who's the smartest, it's mainly about doing the work and doing it on time," Schwartzer, the men's cross-country honoree, said. "Same thing with training. You just have to put in the time and be willing to take some sacrifices. If you do it in one, it's easy to translate to the other."

Schwartzer, a two-time recipient of the Scholastic Achievement award, is an entrepreneurship and corporate innovation and supply chain management double-major in the Kelley School of Business. He spent the past summer interning with Next Financial firm in his hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Hippensteel, the women's cross-country designee, has also had the opportunity to gain experience in her field as a camp counselor and intern with her local school district in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

After completing her bachelor's degree in human development and family studies with a minor in public health and psychology, she plans to continue on to graduate school to become licensed as mental health counselor, with a specific interest in helping middle school and high school students.

"I think that's a really crucial time frame for kids that people need to be more sensitive to," she said. "There needs to be more adults trying to come alongside the kids and be role models for them."

As a second-year transfer student, Hippensteel has seen her development in the classroom parallel her development as a runner. She achieved a personal record in the 6k during the cross-country season and traveled with the team to meets, an opportunity not often given to middle distances runners, such as herself, whose primary sport is track.

She attributes that growth to Helmer's training and to the higher academic standards at IU, which have pushed her more than she was accustomed to at her previous school.

"Athletics and academics here at IU have pushed me to be go further than my comfort zone," she said. "It's really rewarding seeing how the struggle can make something good."

Though many perceive juggling strong academics and Division-I athletics to be too tall a challenge, Hippensteel said there are actually a lot of advantages to being a student-athlete. She believes the ability to perform well in high stress situations molds athletes into better students, and down the line, better employees.

Reitzug agrees. A sprinter and student in the Media School, he said his athletics experience has taught him strong time management and discipline. Though he'll be the guy reading his textbook on the team bus if he needs to be, he often tries to get all his work done before the weekend so he can focus on the meet at hand.

"I try to have the same mentality in the classroom or at home doing my work that I do on the track," he said. "If I do my best, then the results will come with it."

Feb. 18, 2016 Track and Field
Hoosiers Head North for Alex Wilson Invitational

Eleven athletes will travel to Notre Dame this weekend to compete in the Alex Wilson Invitational. This meet marks the final tune-up for the Big Ten Championships.

Three athletes will be competing in individual events and eight will participate in the distance medley relay (DMR). Sophie Gutermuth, competing unattached, and Sydney Clute will both compete in the women's pole vault, starting at approximately 11:00AM. Gutermuth is coming off of an outstanding meet at the Hoosier Hills Invitational. She broke the Gladstein Fieldhouse record in the pole vault with an Olympic Trial qualifying mark of 4.41m (14-5.75ft). Clute's best mark of the season came at the Gladstein Invitational where she hit 4.26m (13-11.75ft).

Connor Martin will be running in the mile. The race will begin at roughly 1:20PM. Martin's best time this season is 4:11.69.

The Hoosiers will send a men's and women's DMR team. The women's team will consist of Brenna Calder, Riley Egbula, Taylor Wiley, and Brianna Johnson. The women's relay will take off around 11:50AM. Indiana currently sits at 34th in the country and sixth in the conference. The men's team will run at about 12:05PM and will be made up of of Matt Schwartzer, Markevious Roach, Daniel Kuhn, and Rorey Hunter. That team has a season best mark of 9:41.10, which is currently the 14th best time in the nation and second in the conference.

Make sure to follow along on Twitter and with the Live Stats.

Iuhoosiers.com

Feb. 20, 2016 Track and Field
Another School Record Falls at Alex Wilson Invitational

Sydney Clute took first in the pole vault with a career best mark of 4.30m (14-1.25ft). She is now tied for 11th in the country and has the highest mark in the Big Ten. Sophie Gutermuth, competing unattached, finished second with a mark of 4.20m (13-9.25ft).

The women's distance medley relay (DMR) of Brenna Calder, Riley Egbula, Taylor Wiley, and Brianna Johnson set the new school record in the DMR with a sixth place time of 11:09.04. The men's DMR team of Matt Schwartzer, Markevious Roach, Daniel Kuhn, and Rorey Hunter place eighth in a highly competitive race with a time of 9:32.55, the seventh best in school history.

Connor Martin finished 10th in the mile with a season best time of 4:07.02.

The Hoosiers will be back in action next weekend at the Big Ten Championships in Geneva, Ohio

Iuhoosiers.com

Track and Field Ready for Big Ten Championships

The Indiana track and field team heads to the Big Ten Indoor Championships this weekend in Geneva, Ohio. The event will take place on February 26-27 at the SPIRE Institute.

The Hoosiers will enter the weekend with 30 total times that mark inside the conference's top ten. In five different events Indiana has multiple student-athletes ranked in the top ten. Seven of the times have the Hoosiers in the top twenty of the national standings.

Daniel Kuhn is a top the conference, and the country, in the 600m run with a program record time of 1:16.91. He is also fourth in the conference and 15th nationally in the 800m run with his second school record time of 1:47.83.

Nakel McClinton is second in the conference and 16th nationally in the weight throw. She has set or broke her own school record on four different occasions this season. Her mark of 20.96m (68-9.25ft) is second in the conference and 16th nationally.

Sydney Clute posted the second highest mark in the pole vault in school history last weekend at the Alex Wilson Invitational. Her mark of 4.30m (14-1.25ft) is the best mark in the Big Ten and is tied for 11th in the country.

Dylan Anderson is third in the conference in the heptathlon. He currently sits in the 17th spot nationally. His score of 5,616 is the third best performance in school history. Stephen Keller, who holds the second highest point total in school history, Chase Pacheco, and Andrew Huber could also potentially score points for the Hoosiers in the event.

Both the women's and men's DMR teams are currently third in the conference. The women's team of Brenna Calder, Riley Egbula, Taylor Wiley, and Brianna Johnson set a school record last weekend with a time of 11:09.04. The men's team of Matt Schwartzer, Markevious Roach, Kuhn, and Rorey Hunter is seventh in program history with a time of 9:32.55.

Live results can be followed here or on Twitter.

Iuhoosiers.com

Clute Wins a Big Ten Championship

Sydney Clute won the 2016 Big Ten Championship in the pole vault with a school record mark of 4.35m (14-3.25ft). Clute joins Kelsie Ahbe (Indoor in 2014) and Vera Neuenswander (Outdoor in 2007 and 2011) as the only women vaulters in school history to win a conference championship.

Head Coach Ron Helmer said that Sydney was the highlight of the day. "She competed like a champion and deserved to be a champion. We need to have more people follow her lead tomorrow."

Indiana had two point scorers in the 3,000m run. Jason Crist took third with a time of 8:04.78. Matt Schwartzer took eighth with a time of 8:07.74.

The women's DMR team of Brenna Calder, Riley Egbula, Kelsey Harris, and Brianna Johnson finished fourth to score points for the Hoosiers.

In his first Big Ten Championships Treyton Harris tied for seventh in the long jump with a mark of 7.26m (23-10ft). Willie Morrison also finished seventh in his Big Ten Championships debut in the shot put with a mark of 17.93m (58-10ft). Terry Batemon took sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 5.08m (16-8ft).

The Hoosiers had a great showing in the mile run trials. In total, five student-athletes qualified for the finals. Brenna Calder and Brianna Johnson qualified for the women's final. Calder won the first heat with a time of 4:44.48. Johnson made the cut based on her career best mark of 4:44.85. That time is also the eighth best time in school history. Rorey Hunter, Owen Skeete, and Kyle Duvall all will race in the finals of the men's mile tomorrow.

Daniel Kuhn ran the fastest time of the 600m trials. His time of 1:16.42 also breaks his own school record in the event. Kendell Wiles punched her ticket to the 600m trials with a season best time of 1:30.22, which moves her into fourth on the all-time performance list.

After four events in the Heptathlon Dylan Anderson is in third place with a score of 3,168 points. Stephen Keller is in seventh with 2,972 points, Chase Pacheco is 12th with 2,854 points, and Andrew Huber is 16th with 2,810 points. Three events remain on day two: the 60m hurdles, pole vault, and the 1,000m run.

Action will start back up tomorrow morning at 10:00AM with the Heptathlon 60m hurdles.

Feb. 27, 2016 Track and Field

2016 BIG TEN FINAL RESULTS
Daniel Kuhn Wins Big Ten Gold

Head Coach Ron Helmer is pleased with the performances this weekend. "We had some outstanding individual performances. We made tremendous strides on the men's side, and if it were not for some points we left on the track we would have made even more progress on both the men's and women's side. We are excited to see where this team will be in the outdoor season."

Daniel Kuhn continued his historic season by winning the Big Ten Championship in the 600m run with a season best time of 1:16.02. Kuhn is the first Hoosier to win the Big Ten's in the 600m run. He is also the only person in school history to run the event in under 1:17.00, he has now done so three times. Kendell Wiles scored a point for the Hoosiers with an eighth place finish in the 600m run with a time of 1:32.78.

Dylan Anderson finished second in the heptathlon after two long days of competition. He scored a career best 5,663 points in the event, and he remains third in school history. Andrew Huber also improved his career best score with 5,144 points in his 11th place finish. He remains eighth in school history.

Freshman Eric Bethea earned a podium spot with a third place finish in the triple jump. He set a career best with a mark of 15.22m (49-11.25ft). Paul Galas finished tied for eighth in the high jump with a mark of 2.07m (6-9.5ft).

Two women scored points for the Hoosiers in the weight throw. Nakel McClinton took third with a mark of 20.82m (68-3.75ft). Laura Schroeder finished seventh with a career best mark of 19.78m (64-10.75ft). That is the third best mark in school history.

Rorey Hunter took second in the men's mile with a time of 4:08.80. Kyle Duvall also scored for the Hoosiers with a seventh place finish with a time of 4:10.77. Owen Skeete ran hard, but just missed a scoring opportunity with a tenth place finish and time of 4:11.89. Brianna Johnson and Brenna Calder both competed hard but, due to a collision, fell out of scoring position in the women's final of the mile. They finished ninth and tenth with times of 4:50.39 and 4:57.22 respectively.

Matt Schwartzer took fourth place in the 5,000m with a time of 14:06.14. Jason Crist placed fifth out of the unseeded section with a time of 14:06.14.

The 4x400m women's relay team of Riley Egbula, Taylor Williams, Sydney Anderson, and Wiles took eighth with a time of 3:42.38 to score a point. The 4x4 team of Zach Reitzug, Kuhn, Diquis Manley, and Markevious Roach ran a season best time of 3:10.13. They finished ninth in the event.

Indiana's women's team finished tied for tenth with 26 points. The men's team finished seventh with a score 57.5 points.

All-Big Ten selections:
First Team
Sydney Clute (pole vault)
Daniel Kuhn (600m)

Second Team
Dylan Anderson (heptathlon)
Rorey Hunter (mile)

Iuhoosiers.com

Mar. 02, 2016 Track and Field
By: Tori Ziege | Twitter
IUHoosiers.com

GENEVA, Ohio – Daniel Kuhn had been in this position before.

With 9 meters left in the 600-meter run, the then-freshman led the fastest runners in the conference at the 2015 Big Ten Indoor Championships.

Then, his legs gave out. He finished seventh.

In the same race on the same track at the same meet a year later, Kuhn was perfectly on his target pace, leading the field at the 400-split. With competitors breathing down his neck across the final stretch, Kuhn replayed the memory in his head.

Then, he changed it.

"I was just praying that I could hold on for dear life," Kuhn said. "I could feel them, and then I finally crossed the line and looked at the scoreboard and saw that I won."

The field came in a tenth of a second behind Kuhn, with the top four finishing within 22 hundredths of one another. It was a side-by-side finish to earn Big Ten gold.

"Just an overwhelming feeling came on," Kuhn said. "I've been working so hard and really wanting something big like that. I finally got my reward."

Kuhn's gold medal time of 1:16.02 is the fifth-fastest ever by a collegiate athlete and a new school record.

It is his third time setting the record in the 600-meter run this season and his fifth time setting a school record overall, with the other two program-bests coming this season in the 800-meter run.

"I didn't try to keep track (of the records)," Kuhn said. "I went out each weekend and if I got one, I got one. I wanted to compete to the best of my ability."

Senior Sydney Clute didn't have anyone breathing down her neck in her pursuit of a Big Ten Title and a school record in the women's pole vault.

In the knock-out style championship, each athlete gets three attempts to clear the continually raising bar until no one — not even the winner — remains.

Clute started at 4.01 meters. She cleared on her first attempt. At the 4.16-meter mark, five vaulters remained. Again, Clute cleared on her first attempt.

Then there were four. At 4.21 meters, another first-attempt clearance for Clute.

"At that point I was feeling really, really good," she said. "I was jumping probably the best I had all season. I was really confident that I basically had it in the bag unless something really terrible went wrong."

At 4.26 meters, Clute clinched her first Big Ten Championship clearing on all first attempts.

Then, it was time to shift focus.

"It was kind of anticlimactic for a Big Ten championship," Clute said. "I just remember this moment where I was standing there and I was like 'Wow, I just won. Let's go break some records now.'"

Clute ended the competition with a program best 4.35-meter vault after grazing the bar on the descent of her third attempt from 4.41 meters — the would-be Big Ten record.

She continued the lineage of successful Indiana women's pole vaulters, started by the Hoosiers' first Big Ten Champion, Vera Neuenswander, in 2007.

Neuenswander left the program in 2011 with two conference titles and the school record before being bested by her mentee, Big Ten Indoor Champion Kelsie Ahbe, in 2014. Clute was a sophomore when Ahbe set the previous record of 4.34 meters.

She called Ahbe as a confidence-booster just days before breaking her record.

"Kelsie was the perfect role model when she was here, and she's still jumping, so that's inspired all of us here," Clute said.

"When you have girls that have jumped before you that are clearing high bars, it makes those heights attainable."

Hoosiers Prepare for NCAA Championships

Three student-athletes of the Indiana track and field team will represent the Hoosiers in the 2016 NCAA Indoor Championships. The meet will take place on March 11-12 in Birmingham, Alabama, and will be hosted by Samford University at the Birmingham CrossPlex.

Sydney Clute will compete in the pole vault, Dylan Anderson, for the second consecutive season, will compete in the heptathlon, and Nakel McClinton will be in the weight throw.

Anderson is seeded 16th in the heptathlon. He, and the rest of the heptathletes, will kick off the meet on Friday March 11 at 11:00AM EST with the 60m dash, the first of four events on day one. Action will resume on Saturday at 11:00AM EST for the final three events of the competition.

Anderson took second in the heptathlon in the Big Ten Championships with a career best score of 5,663 points. He is currently third in school history in the event.
The women's weight throw will begin at approximately 8:20PM EST. McClinton is seeded 15th in the event. She finished third in the Big Ten Championships with a mark of 20.82m (68-3.75ft) and is currently the school record holder with a mark of 20.96m (68-9.25ft).

The women's pole vault will begin on Saturday at about 5:00PM EST. Clute comes into the meet seeded 10th after winning the Big Ten Championship with a school record mark of 4.35m (14-3.25ft).

ESPN3 will stream the NCAA meet live on March 11 and 12 starting at 7:00PM EST. A cut-down version of the championships will air on ESPN2 on Sunday, March 13 from 7:00-9:00PM EST.

Along with the NCAA Championships, Daniel Kuhn and Sophie Gutermuth, competing unattached, will be competing in the USA Track and Field Indoor Championships. Kuhn, seeded fourth, will run in the 800m semi-finals at approximately 7:20PM EST on Friday. The finals will be run at 8:30PM on Saturday. Gutermuth, seeded ninth, will compete in the pole vault, which will begin at 7:10PM EST on Saturday evening.

As always follow the live updates on Twitter and via the live stats.

Mar. 11, 2016 Track and Field
Day One of the NCAA Championships in the Books

After day one and four events in the men's heptathlon, Dylan Anderson, who finished second in the Big Ten Championships, sits in 10th place with 3,175 points. He started off the day with a time of 7.03 in the 60m dash. In the long jump he recorded a mark of 6.93m (22-9ft). Anderson hit a mark of 13.42m (44-.5ft) in the shot put. Finally, in the high jump he hit 2.01m (6-7ft).

Head coach Ron Helmer said that Anderson performed really well in the first day and is excited to see what he can do in day two.

Day two of the heptathlon will include the final three events and will start at 1:00PM EST with the 60m hurdles. Following that will be the pole vault. The final event will be the 1,000m run.

Nakel McClinton, who finished third in the Big Ten Championships, finished 15th in the weight throw with a mark of 18.46m (60-6.75ft).

Daniel Kuhn ran a time of 1:49.92 in the 800m trials at the USATF meet. He finished second in his heat and eighth overall, but unfortunately, he did not advance to the finals.

Sydney Clute will compete in the women's NCAA Championships pole vault. Action is slated to begin at approximately 5:00PM EST. Sophie Gutermuth will compete in the women's pole vault at the USATF meet. They will start at 7:10PM EST tomorrow evening.

Mar. 12, 2016 Track and Field
Anderson Sets Career Best in Day Two of the Heptathlon

Dylan Anderson, the Big Ten runner-up, just missed the podium in a ninth place finish in the heptathlon. He started day two off with a bang by winning his heat of the 60m hurdles with a career best time of 8.20. He followed that up with a strong showing in the pole vault. His mark of 5.10m (16-8.75ft) is just off of his career best of 5.13m. He capped of the heptathlon with a 2:55.03 in the 1,000m run. His score of 5,762 points is a personal best and the second highest mark in school history.

In a highly competitive field Sydney Clute, the Big Ten Champion, finished tied for 10th in the women's pole vault. She was successful on her first attempt at both 4.10m (13-5.25ft) and 4.20m (13-9.25ft) before hitting the bar on three consecutives attempts at 4.30m (14-1.25ft).

"Obviously, it is a little disappointing that two athletes came so close to scoring but came up short. However, nothing that happened this weekend will deter us from continuing to develop and build the team. " Head coach Ron Helmer also said how he is looking forward to a great outdoor season.

Sophie Gutermuth was also competing in a very tough women's pole vault field at the USATF meet. She cleared on her second attempt at 4.30m (14-1.25ft). The bar then moved up to 4.50m (14-9ft) and she missed on her three attempts. She finished tied for ninth.

Three Hoosiers Earn All-America Honors

The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) released its NCAA Division I Indoor All-Americans. Three student-athletes were selected as Second-Team All-Americans.

For the second consecutive year, Dylan Anderson earned second team honors for his ninth place finish in the NCAA heptathlon. He scored a personal best 5,762 points in the event. That mark moved him into second place in school history. He finished second in the Big Ten Conference Championships in the heptathlon this season.

Sydney Clute earned second team honors for her 10th place finish in the NCAA women's pole vault. She finished the Championships with a mark of 4.10m (13-5.25ft). She is currently the Indiana University record holder in the indoor pole vault with a mark of 4.35m (14-3.5ft). Clute also won the Big Ten Conference Championship this season.

Nakel McClinton earned second team honors for her 15th place finish in the NCAA women's weight throw. Her best mark of the Championship weekend was 18.46m (60-6.75ft). She currently holds the program record for the weight throw with a mark of 20.96m (68-9.25ft). McClinton finished third in the weight throw at the Big Ten Championships.

Mar. 26, 2016 Track and Field

Another School Record Falls in Tempe

Laura Schroeder shattered the school record in the hammer throw. She led most of the competition until falling into second right before her final throw. On her final throw she hit 63.45m (208 feet 2 inches) to win the event. Her mark is currently fifth on the national list.

Andrew Miller took fourth in the hammer throw with a mark of 62.07m (203 feet 8 inches). Matt Birk finished tenth in the javelin with a mark of 57.35m (188 feet 2 inches).

Maggie Allen took fourth in the 5,000m run with a time of 17:31.95. Connor Martin finished fifth in the men's 5,000m with a time of 14:38.53. Bobby Browning crossed in tenth with a time of 15:07.60.

Indiana is currently in fourth place in the team standings after five events scored with 24 points.

Field events will begin at 5:30PM EST tomorrow with the discus throw. Track events will start with the women's 100m hurdles at about 9:20PM.

Johnson Sets Meet Record in Pac-12 Big Ten Invitational

Indiana helped the Big Ten secure victory over the Pac-12 on both the men's and women's sides. The men's side scored 81, the second most by a Big Ten school and the fourth most overall, while the women's team added 547 points.

Brianna Johnson won the 3,000m steeplechase in record setting form. She set the new meet record with a time of 10:26.13. Madison Stenger finished in third in the event with a time of 11:14.06. In the men's steeplechase Eric Claxton finished second with a time of 9:05.27.

Daniel Kuhn won the 800m run with a time of 1:46.69, the second best time in school history.

Brenna Calder finished eighth in the 1,500m run with a time of 4:23.03, the ninth best time in school history. Rorey Hunter took second in the 1,500m run with a time of 3:44.20. Joe Murphy crossed in sixth place with a time of 3:48.51.

Nakel McClinton took seventh in the discus with a mark of 44.28m (145 feet 3 inches). Nycia Ford finished seventh in the shot put with a mark of 14.40m (47 feet 3 inches). Willie Morrison placed fifth in the shot put with a mark of 18.22m (59 feet 9.5 inches), the seventh best throw in school history.

Treyton Harris finished seventh with a mark of 7.06m (23 feet 2 inches) in the long jump.

Riley Egbula placed third in the 400m dash with a time of 55.03, the tenth best time in program history. Kendell Wiles took seventh with a time of 55.64. Markevious Roach finished sixth in the 400m dash with a time of 47.68.

Adrian Mable finished eighth in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.77. Tyler Bellaire scored a point for the Hoosiers with an eighth place finish in the 100m dash with a time of 10.85. Jeyland Valentin finished eighth in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:02.14. Diquis Manley finished sixth in the event with a time of 54.84.

The 4x100m relay team of McKayla Eves, La Toya Williams, Jaela ***, and Maya Caudle took fourth with a time of 46.95. Indiana's 4x400m relay team of Egbula, Wiles, Taylor Wiley, and Taylor Williams finished fourth with a time of 3:45.13. The men's team of Manley, Kuhn, Derek Grimmer, and Roach took third with a time of 3:12.09.

The Hoosiers will be back in action for the Texas Relays and Stanford Invitational next weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

Sean. How has the program changed to be doing this well this year? I don't remember them doing so well in the past. Was there a significant coaching change or new training regimen?

Honestly, I don't think they are doing that well. The men's team was really really good a few years ago when the had Butler, Drouin, and Bayer.

Kuhn's time is the fastest 800 for an Indiana HS grad. He almost went to school for baseball instead of track. Looks like he made a smart decision.

Mar. 30, 2016 Track and Field

Kuhn Honored by the Big Ten

After a very successful indoor track season, sophomore Daniel Kuhn started off the outdoor season with a bang. In his first meet of the season, the Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Invitational, Kuhn won the 800m run with a career best time of 1:46.69. His mark is the second best in school history and currently leads the Big Ten conference and the NCAA.

Kuhn helped lead the Hoosiers to a fourth place finish in Tempe. Indiana, as a team, helped the Big Ten take down the Pac-12.

For his effort, Kuhn was rewarded with his first Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week honor for the outdoor season, and his second of his career. His last honor came in April of 2015. He earned this honor three times during the indoor season, and he was the conference champion in the 600m dash.

Distance Runners Head to Stanford, Pole Vaulters to Texas

A total of 13 Hoosier student-athletes will be competing this weekend in two different meets.

Indiana will send 11 distance runners to Palo Alto, California to compete in the Stanford Invitational. All of the student-athletes will compete on Friday.

Owen Skeete, and Bryce Millar (competing unattached) will be running in the opening heat of the 5,000m run. They are scheduled to begin at approximately 1:42PM EST. Mark Chandler and Jeremy Coughler will compete in the next heat of the men's 5,000m which is set to begin at 10:53PM EST. Rorey Hunter and Matt Schwartzer are running in the third 5,000m race which will start at 11:11PM EST. Finally, Jason Crist will run in the last section of the 5,000m run at 11:48PM EST.

Haley Harris and Katherine Receveur will be competing in the first heat of the women's 5,000m run. They are scheduled to begin at 2:00PM EST. Amanda Behnke will be running in the next women's 5,000m race which will begin at 10:13PM EST.

In the last of the women's races Chanli Mundy will be the lone Hoosier to run in the 10,000m. The races will begin at 1:13AM EST.

Sydney Clute and Sophie Gutermuth will both compete in section A of the women's pole vault at the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas. The pole vault competition will begin at 1:00PM EST on Saturday afternoon.

Live results from Palo Alto can be followed here.

Live results from Austin can be followed here.

As always, follow along on Twitter to catch up on all the action.