Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

POTFB Game Thread

Man I am pumped for this Saturday! It will also be fun to scoreboard watch as we jostle for a better position in the B1G standings hopefully getting a better bowl game!

As a side note: I read an article recently about preliminary discussions about holding the Bucket game in Indy. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Illinois and NWU started holding their rivalry game in Chicago to try and help attendance. Given students are on Thanksgiving break each year for this game, it might help attendance holding the game at a central location. However, there is something to be said for a 117 year history of playing on-campus.

With this team on the cusp of bowl eligibility, it would have been an interesting test to see how well attended this game would be if it were in Bloomington.

Man I am pumped for this Saturday! It will also be fun to scoreboard watch as we jostle for a better position in the B1G standings hopefully getting a better bowl game!

As a side note: I read an article recently about preliminary discussions about holding the Bucket game in Indy. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Illinois and NWU started holding their rivalry game in Chicago to try and help attendance. Given students are on Thanksgiving break each year for this game, it might help attendance holding the game at a central location. However, there is something to be said for a 117 year history of playing on-campus.

With this team on the cusp of bowl eligibility, it would have been an interesting test to see how well attended this game would be if it were in Bloomington.

I wasn't in favor of it, but since the students will always be on break, like you said, why not? At least until a hypothetical period where both teams are consistently good and students would stay.

I wasn't in favor of it, but since the students will always be on break, like you said, why not? At least until a hypothetical period where both teams are consistently good and students would stay.

My only argument against it is that it kind of gets rid of the atmosphere of a college football game. I'm totally biased about this, but a big part of college football is the presence of the marching band. They're involved in home team traditions, pregame, half time, pep rallies, sometimes the tailgating, all that stuff. Which band gets to go to the neutral location? If it's both, who performs pregame/halftime (you can't do both, that'd take way too long)? That's not even going into logistics about getting the bands/instruments there.

Now I know that bands aren't the reason why most people go to football games, but you can add tailgating, home team traditions, and also how since so many students go to school out of state, a central location isn't always central for a lot of students. Even Chicago isn't central for the UofI/NW game. It's a 2-3 hour trip for anyone from Champaign and less than an hour from Evanston.

It could be a very lucrative option for the schools, but I like the home and home thing. Plus, we wouldn't be able to embarrass those Purdoo-doo heads on their own turf!

My only argument against it is that it kind of gets rid of the atmosphere of a college football game. I'm totally biased about this, but a big part of college football is the presence of the marching band. They're involved in home team traditions, pregame, half time, pep rallies, sometimes the tailgating, all that stuff. Which band gets to go to the neutral location? If it's both, who performs pregame/halftime (you can't do both, that'd take way too long)? That's not even going into logistics about getting the bands/instruments there.
Now I know that bands aren't the reason why most people go to football games, but you can add tailgating, home team traditions, and also how since so many students go to school out of state, a central location isn't always central for a lot of students. Even Chicago isn't central for the UofI/NW game. It's a 2-3 hour trip for anyone from Champaign and less than an hour from Evanston.
It could be a very lucrative option for the schools, but I like the home and home thing. Plus, we wouldn't be able to embarrass those Purdoo-doo heads on their own turf!

There's no reason both bands can't go. Texas/OK, UGA/UF make it work. Plus it's a short trip. The Hundred will be in WL this Saturday. They always travel for that. Typically they just shorten the band performances. That's what they do at bowls (neither opposing band can perform on the field at the games on campus though...we agreed to that a while back...gotta stay in the stands). My reasoning is that since the game is always on Thanksgiving weekend now, it won't really affect student attendance. There was a tiny student crowd last year and I expect the same this weekend. Most aren't going to stay for these two teams, although since we are playing for a bowl, I expect some of our students to trek up there. We should have a nice crowd.

But, I like games on campus too. In conclusion, POTFB.