Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IU Hoosier41

Does the Big Ten Title go through Ann Arbor?

As I'm flipping between the Colts and Michigan/Iowa game, I got to thinking.  Michigan has been on a tear lately.  The won @ Northwestern by 28 points.  They are about to be Iowa at home by 30+ points.  I'm starting to think Michigan is the top team in the Big Ten.  I still think Indiana has the talent and ability to beat them, but as of right now, I have to give Michigan the Edge.

I think we will learn a LOT about Michigan in a couple weeks during this part of their schedule:

• @ #8 OSU
  • @ #9 Minnesota
  • vs Purdue (LOL)
  • @ #11 Illinois

That is a BRUTAL stretch.  Purdue might actually be tough there as well given they are sandwiched between three top 11 teams.

Who do you think is better right now? 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IU Hoosier41" data-cid="453" data-time="1357497768"><p>

As I'm flipping between the Colts and Michigan/Iowa game, I got to thinking. Michigan has been on a tear lately. The won @ Northwestern by 28 points. They are about to be Iowa at home by 30+ points. I'm starting to think Michigan is the top team in the Big Ten. I still think Indiana has the talent and ability to beat them, but as of right now, I have to give Michigan the Edge.<br />

<br />

I think we will learn a LOT about Michigan in a couple weeks during this part of their schedule:<ul class='bbc'><li>@ #8 OSU<br /></li><li>@ #9 Minnesota<br /></li><li>vs Purdue (LOL)<br /></li><li>@ #11 Illinois</li></ul>

That is a BRUTAL stretch. Purdue might actually be tough there as well given they are sandwiched between three top 11 teams.<br />

<br />

Who do you think is better right now?</p></blockquote>

They are a great team but they need to play a good team on the road to see how good they really are.

True. An 8 point win at Bradley and a 28 point win at Northwestern doesn't really tell us much. That being said, to compare apples to apples, a 28 point win at NW looks much better than a 5 point win at Iowa.

I think Michigan is the only team in the Big Ten that can keep pace with IU. Ohio State, Minnesota, Mich State are all good teams, but I dont' feel like they match up as well versus IU. It will be very interesting to see how IU's two matchups with Michigan go.

That last game of the season in Ann Arbor could very well decide the Big Ten Champion.

True. An 8 point win at Bradley and a 28 point win at Northwestern doesn't really tell us much. That being said, to compare apples to apples, a 28 point win at NW looks much better than a 5 point win at Iowa. I think Michigan is the only team in the Big Ten that can keep pace with IU. Ohio State, Minnesota, Mich State are all good teams, but I dont' feel like they match up as well versus IU. It will be very interesting to see how IU's two matchups with Michigan go. That last game of the season in Ann Arbor could very well decide the Big Ten Champion.

I know Indiana has to prove their self's just like the rest of the B1G but Iowa is a better team then NW. Yes the last game can be the game that decides the B1G Champ and what a game it could be if it does.

A 28 point win at Northwestern doesn't look MUCH better than a 5 point win at Iowa. Northwestern was already bad and to make things worse, they were missing their two leading scorers. Without those two, NW is one of the worst teams in the Big Ten. Michigan might as well have played a cupcake. Iowa isn't great, but they're a lot better than Northwestern and Iowa is also a tougher environment. Let's see how good Michigan is Saturday. 

Until Zeller starts taking over games for IU, Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten. Not a knock on CZ, I am just waiting for that game where he dominates down low and completely takes over instead of getting pushed around.

Michigan's brutal away stretch is early in the B1G season, Indiana's gauntlet is towards the middle to end February. This really helps us, lets us work HP into our rotation some more. I have to believe we will need his rebounding when we travel to UM. But I agree that the B1G Title is on the other side of Ann Arbor. I hope that UM drops a game before we meet them in Bloomington.

IU needs to learn how to play on the road and on nuetral sites in order to compete for a BIG championship let alone the NCAA championship. I believe they have the talent to defeat anyone in the country. The only thing that lacks on the part of IU is, if a team, like Butler did, slows them down and runs 20-30 seconds off shot clock IU gets lazy and gets out of rythem. resulting in a loss. But, IU strength is when other teams try to match the speed of IU that is when IU dominates, like the UNC game.

A 28 point win at Northwestern doesn't look MUCH better than a 5 point win at Iowa. Northwestern was already bad and to make things worse, they were missing their two leading scorers. Without those two, NW is one of the worst teams in the Big Ten. Michigan might as well have played a cupcake. Iowa isn't great, but they're a lot better than Northwestern and Iowa is also a tougher environment. Let's see how good Michigan is Saturday. 

Great Post.  Wasn't aware that many guys were out for NW.  Always say them as a Bubble team year in and year out.  Guess not so much this year.

I still think IU/Michigan are even right now.. I don't think the last game of the year decides the championship.. I think that last game decides if Indiana wins the B1G outright or if they share it.

When we play at Michigan, i'd like to see more of Yogi/Hulls sharing the pg duties and Sheehey and Oladipo on the court together more to guard Hardaway/Robinson.

I still think IU/Michigan are even right now.. I don't think the last game of the year decides the championship.. I think that last game decides if Indiana wins the B1G outright or if they share it.

When we play at Michigan, i'd like to see more of Yogi/Hulls sharing the pg duties and Sheehey and Oladipo on the court together more to guard Hardaway/Robinson.

That's a much better way to look at it. Indiana either a share or outright win.

I think the talent levels of Indiana and Michigan are close to level.  The Hoosiers will need to channel a lot of their offense through their big men (which I believe is our largest advantage) and limit Trey Burke.  I think Oladipo goes on Burke and either Watford or Sheehey will have to guard Hardaway Jr.  More than likely the Hoosiers will use a fair amount of zone based on Big Ten preseason play (and the matchup problems the Wolverines present), but if they are to play man, it is clear Oladipo and another smaller Hoosier will have to play lock down defense.  I think we will discover a lot more of Crean's "in-game" coaching abilities as adjustments will be crucial against the Wolverines.  

Finally, Indiana has the talent to win the Big Ten, but has made a meal of most road games.  IU has to stop playing down to the competition and keep the pedal down all game.  I like the idea of full/3q court pressure (as employed vs the Nittany Lions), but they need to have quick recovery against strong opposition.

That's a much better way to look at it. Indiana either a share or outright win.

I think Indiana has to prove they can win "tough" road games (aka, @MichSt, Illinois, Minnesota, OhioSt) before we come to conclusions about where they finish this season.  If they pull off 2 out of those 4 road games and don't have a major slip up at home (not losing more than one Big Ten home game), then they will surely have a shot at the outright title; otherwise, it may slip out of their reach.

Last night's 23-point win looks just as good as Michigan's 28-point win to me. Because of the injuries for Northwestern, Penn State likely could have beaten the NW squad that played Michigan last week. Right now, both the Hoosiers and Wolverines look very similar, but what else is new. I can't wait to see the battles between those two teams this season. 

Hard to argue that B1G title runs through Ann Arbor right now. They have done everything asked and so far continue to improve. I think both teams have to hold home court and win all games at home and it will come down to who can win a tough game or two on the road as well as all they should win on the road. If either slip up at home they will have a tough time winning the title. The Hoosiers and Wolverines are the class of a tough conference.

I think it's a bit premature to narrow the title to one or two teams just yet. Michigan's best win so far is a 7pt home win vs. NC State.  Minnesota's best win is a home victory over Michigan St. So far, Illinois seems very "Jekyl and Hyde" beating Gonzaga and Butler, but losing to Purdue and Mizzou. OSU looked very complacent and offensively stagnant in losses to KU, Duke, and Illinois. MSU will beat people, but they've really struggled to score points all year.

As for Indiana, they've looked extremely impressive offensively, especially at home. Yes, 2 road wins in conference play surely help, but let's be honest, Iowa and Penn State are not statements. Don't get me wrong, road W's are Gold in this conference, but let's see how we fare against a couple of top tier teams before anyone starts counting ahead.

I think the talent levels of Indiana and Michigan are close to level.  The Hoosiers will need to channel a lot of their offense through their big men (which I believe is our largest advantage) and limit Trey Burke.  I think Oladipo goes on Burke and either Watford or Sheehey will have to guard Hardaway Jr.  More than likely the Hoosiers will use a fair amount of zone based on Big Ten preseason play (and the matchup problems the Wolverines present), but if they are to play man, it is clear Oladipo and another smaller Hoosier will have to play lock down defense.  I think we will discover a lot more of Crean's "in-game" coaching abilities as adjustments will be crucial against the Wolverines.  

Finally, Indiana has the talent to win the Big Ten, but has made a meal of most road games.  IU has to stop playing down to the competition and keep the pedal down all game.  I like the idea of full/3q court pressure (as employed vs the Nittany Lions), but they need to have quick recovery against strong opposition.

Had to laugh when I seen your picture. I was there with my son who was in the 4th grade at the time. Memories!