Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

IUFB needs to become a transfer destination

We're never going to out-recruit most of the teams in this division. It didn't pan out with Jeremy Finch, but there are dozens of guys every year from Power 5 schools looking for a new start because of a lack of playing time. Obviously I'm not saying we become Ole Miss and take kids who get kicked out of everywhere else, but we can get the occasional four and maybe even five star recruit to come here ala Georgia State basketball. Plus, guys who have spent a year or two in more competent coaching systems can bring that knowledge to our locker room. I honestly believe this team is an average defense away from a fringe Top 25 team more years than not. This is the best and possibly only way to get there.  

It is truth you can accumulate talent in this manner. It is also truth, in many cases, that these players are problems in many areas. Whether in be in academics, accepting coaching, or discipline. I am in the camp that your best teams are built from the ground up. Adding veterans, can succeed, but can also cause internal problems.

It is truth you can accumulate talent in this manner. It is also truth, in many cases, that these players are problems in many areas. Whether in be in academics, accepting coaching, or discipline. I am in the camp that your best teams are built from the ground up. Adding veterans, can succeed, but can also cause internal problems.

Which is why you pick your spots in who you take in. I'm not saying it should be the foundation of our roster, but bringing in 2 or 3 guys a year would make a huge difference on the defense side of the ball. 

I'd like to see us go after a good bit of JUCO talent ala Kansas State. I'm interested to see what happens with Howard and whether he comes back & how QB shakes out next year. We will almost certainly take a step back offensively. Maybe we will see an IUFB that is led by its defense... Scary thought after this year.

I do have to take issue with "more competent coaching systems" and then saying we are an average defense from a fringe top 25 team. I'd like you to elaborate on that a bit. Because IMO you can't say we are close to being top 25 while insulting our coaching staffs competency. Also, having an average defense makes this a drastically different team.

It's a shame this is likely to have been our best year for the foreseeable future personnel wise and that we are 0-6 in conference. If a couple of things break right, we could be 5-1 in conference with 3 wins over top teams. But thems the breaks, I guess.

They can still get to 6-6 and a bowl game. If they bring the same effort that they did against Michigan they should handle Maryland and Purdue.

But this is another topic, rant over

I do have to take issue with "more competent coaching systems" and then saying we are an average defense from a fringe top 25 team. I'd like you to elaborate on that a bit. Because IMO you can't say we are close to being top 25 while insulting our coaching staffs competency. Also, having an average defense makes this a drastically different team.

Is our defensive system working? Can our secondary maintain position or even turn their heads when the ball is in the air? I'm not insulting their entire coaching competency but the defense needs work (again)...CKW is an offensive minded coach who even when he was a position coach has never coached on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense greatly improved when Wilson came from a program known for good offenses. I'd have to imagine that some kids who have gone through practices with Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt or Kevin Steele have picked up a thing or two that would rub off on some of the guys on our team. 

We could do with expanding our walk-on program too. Nebraska has one of the largest, if not the largest, walk-on programs in the country and they consistently end up with great players because of it. Heck, like a quarter of their team this year are walk-ons.

As is our best player (Oakes).

I think its a great idea. What we've been doing for 20 years hasn't worked. We can't out recruit our conference foes. Plenty of talent sitting the bench in the SEC for instance that is better than what we can recruit. Offer playing time within a high octane offense. We probably need the most help (speed) on the defense though.